Review: MSI MEG X570 Godlike Ryzen Series 3000 motherboard

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    0LBaID, alanm and airbud7 like this.
  2. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Nice review Hilbert!....Good looking board too!

3. vazup

vazup Guest

GPU:
    r9 280X
    "you are better off with these processors at default, as one or two cores can Turbo higher, which is far more beneficial in games opposed to having all cores at ~4400 MHz" Can the 3700X actually get to 4.5Ghz on single core? I dont think I have seen that it gets past 4.4ghz. Can anyone confirm this?

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    4.4 for sure, but on liquid it should be capable of hitting 4.5 XFR wise. Then again, it's a proc advertised at 4.4 GHz. I'll check it out deeper in my next mobo review with a single thread run.

fantaskarsef and Embra like this.

5. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Nice board, great review as always!

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Thanks, nice review. Definitely overkill for me, lol. I think for x570 boards, people should look at features that matter to them more than OC potential or overkill phases/VRMs. Since OC'ing effort does not seem to be worth the end result. Have seen some decently priced boards at the $200 price point that are feature rich and probably better suited for 3700x. This board seems it will be a better match for 3900x/3950x users. Have a feeling this will end up as Hilberts reference board. :D

fantaskarsef likes this.
  7. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Great review thanks and I would love to have that Motherboard.I have been buying MSI now for the last 10 years and they are perfect for me.

As mentioned in the quote,I been testing on Cheap X470 MSI Gaming Plus Motherboardboard + 3600X with overdrive enable in BIOS and seeing 4525Mhz over 4400Mhz Max Boost for the 3600X.
    I would be interested with this Motherboard or any Motherboard of Quality, how it handles the extra boost that is printed on the box for the CPU.Also can any of these quaily Motherboards hit the 200Mhz where my X470 MSI Gaming Plus only get 125Mhz over Max boost.
    Thanks again for the reviews.

8. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    My 3700X should be in the mail tomorrow I have a very cheap ASRock B450M Pro 4. should be interesting to see how it turns out.

airbud7 and Undying like this.
  9. 0LBaID

0LBaID Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090TI FE
    Great to see MSI putting out quality (if a bit overkill for most). I have used them mostly over the last 7 years and they have served me well. Still looking for the x570 for my build though, great review Hilbert!

10. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Good review, even if I did have to hunt for the price. Perspective is a wonderful thing--this board costs almost exactly double what I purchased the x570 Aorus Master for, and I much prefer the VRM power layout of the Master (for my next cpu upgrade next year) so I feel very content as the Godlike is originally the mboard I had targeted previously. If I decide to put up a 10Gb home network one day, I'll just buy the adapter and slot it, etc. I don't do wireless--100% wired, everywhere (disabled it on the Master.) But I'll bet a sizable number of people will buy this--maybe not the same people who spend $1400 on a 3d-gaming GPU, but it'll find its niche, for sure, imo.

In the final section, talking about "how close things are to Intel" in gaming, bear in mind that as of now there are no games at all that use engines optimized for Ryzen 3k, for obvious reasons--such as the cpus only shipped last week, etc. Yet every single game tested has been as optimized for Intel architectures as it is possible to get. Some of the synthetic benchmarks, however, have been optimized for Ryzen 3k as of this date, and the result is fairly obvious, with Intel taking a back seat in them. This all reminds me so much of the Athlon k7--when the AMD compilers hit the street, it was all over for the original Pentium. I don't think this will be quite that dramatic, but it is sure entertaining.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Chess and Undying like this.

11. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    duplicate

12. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    something of note for interested people
    the board has 3x "real" nvme M.2 a lot don't, this I suppose is why the godlike and the MEG have in my opinion ridiculously low rear panel connectivity, the prestige creation for example has 13 usb 3.2gen1 but only 2 "real" nvme m.2 onboard (but 6 sata ports too)
    I wrote real because if you check the manuals, using the 3rd slot often means disabling 2 sata ports
    Z390 boards are a joke on this as for example I have 3 m.2 but I can only use 1 nvme, if i used 3 I would lose 4 sata ports ><

if you have lots of peripherals, like a vr headset, soundcard, rgb mouse mousepad keyboard removable hard drives etc...I strongly recommend downloading and studying the motherboard manuals of the ones that seems interesting to you, I say this because I made that mistake last one where I ran out of bandwith and couldn't install pcie cards (for more usbs amongst other things)
    Example below with the Aorus Extreme
    • M2C_SOCKET: SATA3 0 SATA3 1 SATA3 2 SATA3 3 SATA3 4 SATA3 5
    M.2 SATA SSD a a a a a a
    M.2 PCIe SSD a a a a r r
    No M.2 SSD Installed a a a a a a
    if you use the M2C socket with a sata drive np, with an nvme drive you lose sata 4+5

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    fantaskarsef and HandR like this.
  13. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Why almost all these new mobos remind me of coffins? Cemetery, mausoleum, coffin... come to my mind the moment I see them. Why do they look sooooo morbid?

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    always thought "godlike" name msi using is stupid still is, if it was "godlike" it would be white and not have to be called "godlike":D

15. vdelvec

vdelvec Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    "As the question remains, who will actually spend this kind of cash on a motherboard?"

*whistles innocently* ...NewEgg just delivered it along with my Ryzen 9 3900x...
    Aww, c'mon; don't give me that look! Ever since MSI launched the Godlike line, I've been enamored with these boards. I got the first MSI X99A Godlike Gaming, then the MSI Z390 GODLIKE, and now I just had to have this X570 GODLIKE too. I know, I know...

Hilbert Hagedoorn likes this.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    For such an expensive board, surprised they skimped out on USB ports on back (5 total, 2 of which for mouse/KB).

Absolutely.

17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    To this day MSI don't understand you can't name something Meg if you want it to be taken seriously.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    "Shut up Meg"
    :D

theoneofgod likes this.
  19. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Anyone else think like these new X570 boards are totally pointless?

What do they offer over older X370 or X470 board... heck even some B450 boards. Other than PCIE4?

They have insanely over the top VRM's capable of delivering so much power that simply is not needed for 7nm Ryzen and literally no one can overclock Ryzen past 4.4GHz all core, making the new boards totally useless when you think about it. If Ryzen won't go past 4.4GHz then why do you even need such high power VRM's when you can't even use them?

My x370 Crosshair VI Hero runs my 3900X like a champ and the chip reaches 4.65GHz quite a few cores and threads with stock settings.

PCIE4 makes no sense either unless you want to run the new M.2 drives for content creation. They just seem a bit... meh. But maybe thats because I already have a good first gen board.

20. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    My X470 can do 4425Mhz all core gaming.Not a chance in Prime95.
    The x570 boards are nice and pointless for some ,that is why I have kept my X470 and may never buy X570 ,then again I said I probaably would not buy Ryzen 3600X CPU.