Review: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Ti SUPRIM X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 29, 2022.

1. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG 6900XT@2.6Ghz
    And why do some always put those down who can afford top end hardware,
    I earn less now than i did five years ago, but i am now mortgage free, single and have zero personal dept with few monthly outgoings, but im less rich than five years ago if you look at my annual income.
    Ive got a nice house, a nice car, a great trainer collection and im not into coke, hookers or gambling so need to spend my money on something :D:p

Maddness likes this.
  2. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Dell 6800XT 16GB
    Well it fits alot, especially here. And I do not really care.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    And you dont? There is Nitro+ 6900XT already at 1350$ so its almost half the price.

tunejunky likes this.
  4. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Cheapest in stock 3090ti VS cheapest 6900xt is 43% difference here :)

I answered about AIB, and I thought it was "water cooled" , so I posted the Strix LC model...

5. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6900XT, 2070

not at all
    the Asus is the most expensive AIB 6900xt (and probably 3090ti, excepting the H.O.F. which will come out shortly)
    i was going by the prices (today & yesterday) for the MSI Gaming X, the XFX Speedster, the Aorus, and the red devil
    all of which are less than the 3080, let alone ti, let alone 3090, let alone ti averaging between $1,100 - 1,300 US

or half of the AIB 3090ti price - simply because the FE @ $1,999 is unobtainium

i will always pick a card within 20% of a card that goes for 2x more no matter Nvidia or AMD - i've always done so

6. TroubledThoughts

TroubledThoughts Member

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3070 Ti
    Interesting. Would that require already having uncut GA102? If it's a full I mean... like wouldn't they have had needed to have had that foresight?

edit: non fulls are laser cut to reduce SMs / the new silicon is more expensive than just $500 and we're in a chip/silicon shortage (honestly it's more a supply chain issue as the world is really full of sand but that's another sermon)

Not that I'm arguing I'm just thinking out loud...I never worked at NVIDIA but worked for another company. At multiple fabs. I'm being vague and this product seems like it wasn't road mapped in my opinion it seems very "reactionary" from NVIDIA

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
  7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'd imagine most GA102 chips are fabricated to be full -- they cut them down when the chip is defective. Typically when you spin a chip a large portion of the initial yield has problems so you just cut it all down -- eventually the fab/nvidia/whatever sorts those issues and yields go up. At some point you start producing a sizable number of non-defective GA102s so you don't need to cut them down anymore, you can just create a new SKU and sell it for more money.

TroubledThoughts and Dragam1337 like this.
  8. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    My Gigabyte OC 3090 runs @ 1755mhz out of the box but with a small bump in memory and 45hz boost so at just 1800mhz i can match all the top scores in HH's reviews but my energy numbers shoot through the roof.

I think these cards are factory overclocked already very close to maximum performance so for just a little more boost the energy use ramps up BIG time, like 150w more than normal. The difference from 1650mhz to 1800mhz is 150mhz but it's also 150w less too.

This card can run at 1755mhz all day long and remian pretty cool for a OC'd card at around 60-65C depending on the weather but i don't even allow it to run at 1755. While gaming it runs at around 1650mhz but it's fine because that way i still get 240hz 1440p with very high frame rates. 240fps in most DX11 games and anything from 120-200+ fps in DX12 games. The up side of running a 100mhz less is also pretty big. Less than 60C and between 50-100w less also.

At the minute i'm really in love with 240hz as it's so smooth in all games, you'd need a beast of a gpu for 4k 240hz. 4090 might not even cut it. :(

9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Strix OC
    I think you should look a bit more into things, both regarding your own gpu (awful numbers tbh), and actually reading this article - the 3090 ti suprim does 2.2 ghz with oc.

10. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    I laugh at the current situation with those GPUs, considering there will be electricity rationing in EU after the end of the month. :D:D:D:D:D

11. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    it's literally two 3060ti's
    same performance as 2x 3060ti
    same power draw as 2x 3060ti
    5x the msrp
    6x actual retail price

I think as long as it was around 1200usd maybe, people who like to have the bleeding edge hardware as soon as possible would like that card.
    in its current form,with this msrp,no one should consider this as an option.Instead of spending 2000 on this,it would be a better idea to get a 3090 non-ti, save 200usd into your pocket and burn the remaining 300 in a fireplace.sounds dumb ? it may be,but it's still smarter than getting this.

embarassing card.

I wonder what amd's approach will be next gen.
    embarass nvidia in the high end as they deserve,or do the same thing,only slightly less repulsive version of it like they did with 6900xt/xth

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  12. TroubledThoughts

TroubledThoughts Member

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3070 Ti
    Hey thanks, sorry for late reply. Been busy with work. Appreciate the answer!

13. Tom Sunday

Tom Sunday Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 980ti
    Indeed the 3090ti finds itself in an odd position. Roughly a 10% power increase over the first model and with apparently very minimal benefits? However if I had the money in these very trying ‘inflationary times’ a 3090ti would be ideal and long overdue for an upgrade, especially because I would be scaling up from a GTX 980 series. I talked a few days ago to a few buyers at Micro Center in Tustin, who were eyeing the various 3090ti’s on display and having their curves and extended backplates washing over their faces. Simply put 10% more performance for a 33% higher price clearly did not play a major decision-making role. Or whether or not it is worth it! For that matter one of the buyers already had a new 1600 Watt Platinum EVGA PSU sitting in his shopping cart and noted: “One can never be sure!” Absolutely no one was concerned about the much balked about energy use or consumption. The talk was all about the bevy of new tech-improvements as to much enhanced cooling, being the first PCIe Gen 5.0 compliant graphics card and rocking a single 16-pin power connector. A store salesman with a name plate called Marti noted that many customers here are buying the 3090ti just because of the single 16-pin power connector. Well all said and done, I am surely not in the deep pocket league, but came away with the plain fact that in the end it’s all about “the have and the have not’s!”

14. Crazy Joe

Crazy Joe Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090/24GB
    Clearly the RTX 3090ti is the GPU equivalent of the Intel i9-12900KS: a handpicked top bin die pushed to the maximum and thus achieving extreme performance for an extreme power use. There will always be people who want to maximum performance without any regards with respect to the cost.

I upgraded from my GTX 980 to a RTX 3090 for three reasons: 1) 4GB of VRAM just wasn't cutting it anymore. 2) 24 GB of VRAM should make this card last me a few generations. 3) With the run on the RTX 3080 in late 2020/early 2021, I thought my chances of getting my hands on a RTX 3090 in a reasonable time would be a lot better and having not spent any money on holidays in 2020 and 2021 not looking any better in that regard I was willing to redirect the leftover money towards a new GPU.

And I was right, I managed to get an RTX 3090 in about 3 months time, which I think is not the experience that many RTX 3080 buyers had. Sure, I paid about 50% over MSRP, but I didn't see the prices coming down anytime soon and indeed they only went up after I placed my order (sometimes to ridiculous levels).

Tom Sunday likes this.