Review: MSI GeForce RTX 3050 Gaming X 8G

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 28, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Slightly delayed due to shipment issues, we analyze the gaming X 8G model GeForce RTX 3050 from MSI. The card performs well in its intended Full HD resolution, brings raytracing and DLSS to the table,...

Review: MSI GeForce RTX 3050 Gaming X 8G

386SX and Airbud like this.
  2. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Almost every 1080ti scores around 9.8k or more graphic score in 3DMark Time Spy (my Asus scores 10200 graphic score out the box)
    Why you have 95xx in your charts?

3. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    because AIB 1080Ti are faster than 1080Ti Founder Edition?
    perfrel_3840_2160.png

TheDeeGee likes this.
  4. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Hilbert, first, thanks for all your work.
    Second.
    What would it take for a video card or CPU product to NOT get a Recommended seal of approval?
    I mean... we're now in deep meme territory with these prices. We are in 2022. My 1070ti, bought also during a crypto boom in late 2017, was like 500 Euro or something. This card is barely faster and the prices will likely end up similar in Europe.
    Isn't it the duty of the press to penalize corporate greed?

carnivore likes this.

5. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    I believe the last time a reviewer was critical of NV they ended up getting blacklisted. Has any reviewer that gets review samples given these the scathing reviews they deserve?

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    His recommendations have always been based only on quality and the performance level of the product (relative to others in its performance tier). I do agree that he should factor in price though.

7. Nekrosleezer

Nekrosleezer Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Thanks for the review HH
    But i dont know why i cannot get 90+ fps in AC Valhalla at 1440p with my setup even with oced 3080
    i using
    R9 5900X golden sample with PBO and curve optimizer enabled (to get that 5000+mhz)
    2x8GB 3600 CL14-17-17-17-34
    Asus Rog Strix 3080 OC edition

with oced card max i get is 85 fps, stock i got around 81.
    Resizable bar enabled, windows game mode enabled, and HAGS enabled too.

8. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    It's debatable. I mean a conclusion is what it is. That's someone's take on something. That's his conclusion than any product working and delivering good performance is a good product. He is very rarely not recommending something. As long as the data produced in the review is legit i don't see the problem any person with a brain should come with their own conclusion using the data gathered in multiple reviews. If you ask me the retail price of a product should influence the conclusion. A Yaris sold at the price of a Lamborghini is a terrible car. A Yaris sold at the price of a Yaris is a good way to travel from point A to B without breaking the bank. But at the end of the day even if you sell a Yaris at the price of a Lamborghini it's still a "good" product if the market make it so that the Lamborghini is sold at 100 times its actual msrp. Obviously a 600$ USD 3050 is a terrible deal if you compare it to what the 5700XT and 2060 Super were sold at 3 years ago. It's in fact an awful deal. But in today's market it is what it is i guess ...

This said i hate it when reviewers (not talking about HH here but in general) compare products based on numbers in the name instead of retail price. Like when the 5700XT was put against a 2070 Super despite costing the same amount of money than a 2060 Super. It was so stupid. Hey both cards have 70 in their name i must compare them against each other. I mean in Canada the 2070 Super was 200$ more expensive than a 5700XT after taxes. If the 3050 ends up costing about the same price as a 6600XT then the 6600XT and not the 6500XT should be used as the measuring stick. Right now on Newegg,com the 3050 is 630$.which is about the same price as a 6600XT so that's what it is fighting against for now. It will need to come down in price and be available from non reseller sources for it to be a good deal in the current market.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    Titan29 likes this.
  9. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Everyone talks about prices beeing a factor , while yes it is i think is mostly on the user to decide if it is too expensive even before the mining and shortages the cards had and will have different prices across the regions europe usa south america asia australia etc etc and the prices might vary wildly . As far as it feels for everyone we are not in the center of the world :p.

10. maize1951

maize1951 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 8GB
    I just got a letter from EVGA stating that they have changed Nvidia cards to a new type of card that makes them more or less useless to miners, A Further Step to Getting GeForce Cards into the Hands of Gamers - The Official NVIDIA Blog. According to the letter I got from EVGA the new cards will be available in May.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    Venix likes this.

11. Pryme

Pryme Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800 SWFT
    toyo, I will reply about the last sentence, but not take me wrong and I'm not against what you said. The problem of all this is Nvidia, any kind of critique against their products they just shut it down, you had some examples like what happened to Hardware Unboxed, not sending GPUs or drivers so they can test the product itself.

Nvidia understood that is better to send products only to streamers, and that ones will not critique the product and only play with them, so they can show to the audience how you can play CS:GO or Fortnite at 144 fps, or more, so they will buy the GPU based only on that information, and not any more to spend like 30 minutes, more or less, to read a great review like Hilbert and other reviewers make so we can decide if is a good product or not.

12. Snorgrind

Snorgrind Member

GPU:
    MSI 4070ti Ventus
    they have gone full meme here where I live, saw this card in one of the shops for 650e :rolleyes:

13. Aekold

Aekold Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    Happy to see GTX 1080 performance at 66% of the power draw! If they can get that same performance without the need for PCIe power connector (75w or less), it will be good times.

14. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    Dude, this is a xx50 card with no ti attached to it's name!....the fact that is faster than your 1070ti is awesome no?

But yeah, I get what you're saying about pricing.

15. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    First time ill disagree with Hilbert in terms of it being a "Guru3D recommended" card, i understand its difficult to review a product on an RRP when the RRP is nowhere near reality, however i dont think this should be "Guru3D Recommended". Maybe it needs a new logo/category, Bronze Icon with "Guru3D Acceptable - MRRP based"?.

I consider the card junk in terms of price/performance of what we had pre 2020, recommendations should be based on reality and no the current insane scenario.

16. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    We were supposed to get cards like the 970 at 300$ that matched a 780ti at 600 just 2 yrs later or something.
    Instead we get cards that match something released 4.6 yrs ago at the same damn price, which was ALREADY high back then, and people instead of tearing these corporate entities down are lapping it all up and even finding the corpos all sorts of attenuating circumstances as if they are the business of their dad.
    Has to stop. Large corporations and consumers are typically engaged in an adversarial relation, ones seeking increased profits, other lower prices.
    Consumers must fight for THEIR interests first and above all else. It's insanely low IQ not to.

17. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    no, apparently history of GPU performance doesn't matter anymore, its all about now, what performance and the $100's needed for it, the fact you could get a card a few years ago at the same price with similar or better performance is irrelevant.
    All about the $$$

If my 1080Ti dies, ill proudly join the PS5 community just to stick it to the PC GPU manufacturers.

allesclar likes this.
  18. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    AMD admitted to keep prices high for profit. I guess Intel and NVIDIA do the same. Keep in mind CEOs said prices stay high until the end of 2023. They didn't say why ....

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    so now the xx50 series is price of what xx60 series use to be... seem to be little slow then my 1070ti but lot more power friendly.

Im sorry though the prices are just stupid, only thing interesting here is less power consumption,

20. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Love the review.

Positive thought? Maybe include a single 10xx 20xx series card for comparison?

I know quite a few of us are still running the old series due to justification and availiblity?

Just a thought.....