Review: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti DUKE (is this Duke the new King?)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    That is a bit low now that I think about it? Let me recheck that in the next hour, the scale reported ~850g when I weighed it. Could be miscalibrated prior to weight.

2. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    The problem with AMD is they don't spend the time with enough developers working on optimizations at the end of development. In contrast, nVidia goes out of their way to help developers get their games running as best they can prior to release. Nobody is stopping AMD from doing the same.

Aura89 likes this.
  3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Imo that asus strix is still the king, at least when it comes to thermals.

4. Pimpiklem

Pimpiklem Guest

GPU:
    amd
    yeah thats why Wolflenstein performs so poorly.

Mate every game AMD works on performs amazing there is no hidden code to cripple performance and you say that about AMD that just isnt true at all.
    take it back you know what you said was bs.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You seriously will need to change your tone on these forums if you would like to remain part of this community.

insp1re2600, Aura89 and Solfaur like this.
  6. DSLore

DSLore Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I pre-ordered the Duke Ti in August when if first popped up for sale, purely because it looked the best imo.

I'm very satisfied after seeing it here as the top performer.:eek:

airbud7 likes this.
  7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Like other members have already wrote, your PSU is too close to the limits and it´s better not to push your luck specially if you are thinking about paying more than 1000€ for a GPU. If you really want the card then buy a new PSU with 700 or 800w to be sure you can use your system without a care and overclock it if you want to.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    If your total system's power consumption during synthetic benchmarks reach 500W, then yes, a 650W will suffice. You're still pushing it real hard but at least it'll be stable. I would agree with H83; if you intend to OC, 700-800W is a better choice.

9. Pimpiklem

Pimpiklem Guest

GPU:
    amd
    I know replying to you will get me banned but that's fine opportunity to rare to miss.
    Truth hurts hey hilbert and the fact you found it necessary to respond to my tiny little comment proves the existence of the Nvidia agenda.
    Thank you for verifying who your patrons are.

see you on twitter with a nice screen grab.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    The only Nvidia agenda in any of the discussions lately is coming from you... You're being needlessly antagonistic. What Hilbert wants is for you to stop being such an obvious troll. He doesn't care if you prefer or promote Nvidia, he just doesn't want you insulting people's opinions, which is a perfectly fair thing to ask.

11. Pimpiklem

Pimpiklem Guest

GPU:
    amd
    no point replying to me now mate.
    my accounts now gone soon because i gave my opinion that wasn't no more needlessly antagonistic than the guy who gave his opinion to mine.
    But my opinion upset some people, dont see them speaking out when people attack amd do you.
    funny that is.yeah what ever.
    anyways nice chatting i be banned soon and thats fine, its only strengthens my screen capture.

12. devastator

devastator Master Guru

GPU:
    rx7900xt sapphire
    when does rtx 2070 get release ??

13. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    What about the AMD agenda? :eek:

[​IMG]

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You know what? As much I dislike nVidia. Hilbert is not pushing you some hidden agenda. Nor open agenda.

...to which you reacted kind of inappropriately means something else than you think. It is not about poor work done with developers. But it is about poor rate at which AMD engages with developers.
    Yes, AMD has a lot of open source code available. You can probably build pretty solid engine around that. But nVidia is actively seeking developers and that's how they get good/bad features into games. But they get those features and optimizations into games. (There are many cases when nVidia "helped" with new feature to point game would not even start on AMD's GPU. But that's developers responsibility to fix by separate code path or not accept nVidia's code at all.)

AMD does marvelous job, that's when they are doing it. And here is source of issue.

carnivore and Solfaur like this.
  15. george1976

george1976 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9290
    Just because he said take it back that makes him antagonistic?
    How is take it back offensive? Not like he attacked him or anything, he should've formulated that a bit softer so he doesn't upset the sensitive ones.
    If you can't take a bit of contradiction on a discussion forum then you should stay out of it.

16. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    instead of offering proofs and a solid argument he decided to take the path most traveled and be a troll.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I was speaking in general. Look at his other posts and you'll find there's a bit of a pattern.

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    --

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I think the RTX cards may have strong pro and dev appeal (for offline rendering, video processing) which may keep their sales strong if gamers do not embrace them as widely as previous gens. Compare the specs to RTX quadros and the 2080ti has better gigarays perf than the twice as expensive RTX 5000.

20. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    You have to chill out buddy. Guru3d is where some of the most balanced arguments exist when it comes to hardware discussion, and HH is a man that, certainly from my experience, balances things very well and gives AMD a fair look at all the products he reviews they put out compared to many other sites online. As pointed out by Fox2232 above, developer choices with regards to implementation of features of particular hardware manufacturers does ultimately boil down to those two parties and no one else.
    And before you accuse me of bias, I am running a 295x2 and no complaints from my end, and certainly the 'fine wine' approach of increasing relative performance over time has helped the card last well, but it isn't exactly a great traditional marketing strategy when the real beauty of the card is revealed a few years down the line.

Solfaur likes this.