Review: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming OC

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 19, 2014.

1. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Seriously Rich guy you dont know how to?

Want my settings?

2. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac Guest

GPU:
    HD 7970
    Is 1501 Core in the OC results of the review a typo? The Giga they reviewed hit a higher boost (1516), but it's core OCed to 1328. It can do that on stock volts. I prefer a cooler OC that promotes long life. It also runs 8c cooler than the MSI.

And if it isn't a typo, why would it be 1501 core AND boost? It kinda seems like the results you get when you use Nvidia Inspector to disable boost and use a fixed clock speed. http://www.overclock.net/t/1267918/...-disable-boost-fixed-clock-speed-undervolting

Anyways, kinda leaning toward the Giga because I tried an MSI 660 Ti OC some time ago, and in the process of finding it was having HDCP detection issues with my Panasonic TV, and rendering BSOD when switching from TV to PC, MSI was just horrible at CS.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  3. matoutou25

matoutou25 Guest

GPU:
    HD 7970 GHZ EDITION
    Gtx 970 with P67 motherboard

Hello everyone a simple question can i run the new gtx 970 or the r9 290 on my msi p67a c 43 motherboard ?? Thank's

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Of course you can. Why not?

5. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac Guest

GPU:
    HD 7970
    Again, can you tell me why the MSI OC results show 1501 core AND boost?

Is the 1501 core a typo, or did you disable boost with Nvidia Inspector?

It looks like this is a typo because the Giga with a MUCH lower core OC shown, results in better FPS in the benches.

6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I'll give it a go :p

I don't need more power no, as my 290x cuts through everything with ease, i just like gfx cards, and new ones when they come out :D

No i don't know how, one thing ive never done, overclocking of a CPU, only overclocked my gfx cards, and that was starting from the 7970, as it was easy to do by moving the sliders in the CCC, and now i use AfterBurner, as thats easy as well :D

Could give me your settings, as i could always try them, although id rather go up in increments, just in case, as with my luck, it may not like 4ghz :p

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  7. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Right who has it? hows it?

I decided to buy one today so i can play with it when i come back from Germany. Its on pre order, wont be available until next week.

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Congrats!! Welcome to the green team. :thumbup:

BTW that is honing to be a huge jump in performance.

9. tommytech

tommytech Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 SLI
    i swapped my r290 vapor edition for the gtx970 as my r290 was faulty and i was able to rma. Knowning what i know now if i had a r290 and i was unable to rma i would sell it as quick as possible and move to the gtx970. My r290 posted ok in bench scores however in real world usage such as games it was just a stutter fest , i cant honestly believe the difference between the 2 cards.

10. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Havent bought one yet, cant decide which one haha but will put an order at tonight or this weekend! Yea it will be a sweet upgrade!

11. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Dear MSI 970 Gaming OCs owners, now after 1.5 months after release, how are you feeling about your cards? Any problems/bugs/tips?

I'm asking because I'm finally set on upgrading and I want to get 2x 970s (and keep a 680 for physix ololol, I know). I'm also inclined to stick with MSI because I had awesome experience with them lately. The Gigabyte G1 Gaming 970 also looks great (and I had very good experience with Gigabyte as well, in the more or less distant past though).

I know there are many reviews out there (read a lot of them), but user experience especially over a bit of time is more important to me. So, go ahead please and thanks! :)