Review: MSI GeForce GTX 950 Gaming and 2-way SLI

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 20, 2015.

1. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire V64 LC
    The real problem is, that buying a cheap R7 card, people can pair it with a cheap FreeSync monitor (like 29UM67) and experience will be completely incomparable. For high-end cards owners, Adaptive-Sync is only an additional attraction. For low-fps cards it is a fundamental difference.

2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I would never buy a used card, no matter if i was on a budget or not. I would never buy used electronics, too much risk.

So what you're trying to say is...the 950 has a 1.6GB/s speed? oh, wait that's incorrect...because the 950 has a 106GB/s speed, so what exactly are you spewing nonsense about? trying to compare the graphics card because of the bus? By that logic we should be upset that graphics cards/CPU's havn't increased in performance much for the last 10 years because the Mhz hasn't increased "that" much on average, without any regards to the technology behind it...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  3. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I think it´s the bus that tanks the performance of these card at times, we have seen quite a few benchmarks where the 960 can barely tie the 760, even guru3d has one where it can´t even beat a 750ti. It´s natural for people to complain about it, 128bit is old and slow... it´s not on the same page of 1500mhz gpu clocks.

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    nonsense. all of it...

960 is not too impressive, but 950 is already at its heels. there is no room for 950 performance to grow and 960 to remain in lineup

960 not beating 750 Ti?! ... 960 has more of everything, including bw(!)

Maxwell's 128 bit MC is new and its fast due to memory compression and due to other optimizations.

This complaining about number 128 not getting bigger is hilarious.
    Whats next? Complaining about year 2015 being only 15 higher than 2000?
    "1" being the identity element under multiplication same as in anno 1964?

:wanker:

5. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    If it´s not the bus choking the card at times then what it is?. I mean, let´s be honest here, gm206 is a hit or miss when it comes to beating the gtx760. Let´s hear your version.

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    for one thing GTX 760 has 3/4 pixel rate of GTX 780 Ti,
    while 960 has only 1/2 of GTX 980

if it was bw then 960 would start losing its 10-15% advantage over 760 at higher resolutions, yet it doesn't.

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    GTX 960 is exactly 1/2 of 980. Geometry and perf. wise.
    This is not what we got used to historically. For example GTX 460 is ~2/3 of GTX 480.

That's why 960 is not very impressive. Not because of bw. But because it has half of everything compared to 980, bandwidth included.

960 is no more bandwidth constrained than 980/Ti/970.

Funny fact: GTX 950 in comparison with the rest of GTX 9xx lineup has loads of bandwidth,
    and actually deserves the least complaining about 128 bit/bandwidth yadayada bs.
    Hilarious rite?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  8. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Fair enough, but it´s not all related to bandwidth, 192bit would have allowed for reference or at least better priced third party 2015+ gaming appropriate 3gb cards. You can´t expect cheers yells and applauses for stuff we have seen years ago in cheapo cards.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  9. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Yep not all is about bandwidth despite what you are thinking it's really down to the amount of memory available, still 2GB REALLY? 3GB is pretty much the starting point nowadays 4GB optimal. Fact of the matter is the card has been butchered so much it's not really future proofed at all. Is it worth saving on a extra PCB layer and tracing which alot of board partners are adding anyway to help with overclocking.

There's a fair few games out there that needs 2GB video memory minimum to run sticking to the minimum in a mid range card is just terrible.

10. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    2GB is fine for a GPU of this caliber.

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    What are you guys expecting from a low range card? This is a $120-150 card what does the R7 360 come with?

12. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    256mb 8800gt didn´t look too bad on release either, now imagine it had only 128mb, four times less memory than the consoles of its time.

http://media.gamersnexus.net/images/media/2015/game-bench/960-4v2gn-acu.jpg

Also look at 7:00, 2gb can´t handle watch dogs that well... (neither other memory intesive games like farcry 4 or dying light):

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    ...What?

For one, the 8800 GT has 256mb of ram, is correct, but it also has 512, and 1gb.

For two, the Xbox 360 had 512mb of ram, FOR THE ENTIRE SYSTEM. While the PS3 had 256mb of ram for the GPU and 256mb of ram for the system itself. Durring this period, most gaming PCs had 2-4Gb of ram for their system and somewhere between 256-512mb on their GPU. So in reality, what you're saying, is that when the 8800gt was released, PC's had anywhere between 2,304mb of ram to 4608 total system/GPU memory, compared to the consoles 512mb of ram total system memory, so what exactly are you trying to compare about the idea of 128mb? even if it had 128mb of ram, the PC system would still have, on average, 10-20 times more memory. If you want to compare it to just GPU, you can't for the xbox 360, and it'd only be half for the PS3, not 4 times less.

for three, you're trying to compare the 8800gt to the GTX 950? That makes no sense. the GTX 950 has half the memory of most high end GPUs, which makes sense. the 8800 GT had half, for the low end 256mb version, amount of memory then compared to its high end GPUs at the time, with some being 768mb. the 8500Gt, the direct comparison to the GTX 950 for its time, had the same amount of ram, 256mb, for its low end. So what you're really showing is that the 8800gt, for the low end version of it anyways, was not that great of a card, you're not comparing anything about how the GTX 950 is a bad card because it has 2gb, half that of todays higher end graphics cards.

Why exactly are you consistently bringing up arbitrary problems about graphics cards that don't exist and don't compare?

And you REALLY love youtube benchmarks apparently, as if they mean anything, and as if they are the end all to all conversations.

You also love to cherry pick your benchmarks as if "omg i showed you one benchmark" means the entire story of the card. Not only that, but the benchmark you showed is on 1080p, which most people buying a GTX 950 are probably at some resolution lower then 1080p. and then it's assassins creed UNITY....seriously? Unity?

Here, i'll post some screenshots, i'll cherry pick them just like you:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No one is saying that 4Gb and even above isn't necessary for a GPU, but for a freakin GTX 950? Who is going to get a GTX 950 for 1440p resolution? Heck, who is going to get a GTX 950 for 1080p and expect to play all games at the highest resolution?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  14. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Buying a 256mb 8800gt was a mistake, wasn´t it?. And as for console´s total memory vs card´s vram comparison, it´s more about the irony and poor value. Consoles didn´t get any more expensive this time around but got their memory multiplicated by almost 16x... however budget "gaming" cards are getting more expensive but aren´t getting any more memory.

Also I´m not cherry picking bencharks, I´m throwing the stuff that shows the direction games are heading to. Gm206 lacks vram and the bandwidth to make best use of 4gb variations.

15. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Psst...the point being clearly illustrated is that more memory is not going to increase the performance of the 950 GPU to any extent. The GPU isn't powerful enough to take advantage of the additional memory.

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    8800 gt 256mb at the time was not a problem

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2396/5

Some games more then others, many games with little to absolutely no benefit, more people were on less than 1080p monitors at the time as well

as to the advancement in console vs graphics card, that was more due to a necessity to do so due to the very lacking memory the xbox 360/ps3 had. And yet again, the xbox one and PS4 have 8Gb TOTAL memory, to be shared with the CPU and GPU (..well APU) while most PCs today will have anywhere between 10Gb and 20Gb Total Memory or even more

Seriously, what are you even arguing? Do you expect miracles out of anything labeled a x50 card? no x50 or x500 card should be expected to be "good", they are low to midrange cards, and that's exactly what this is. You have this idea that for some reason the GTX 950 should have 4Gb standard even though that's what high end GPUs have? What kind of logic is that?

I've come to the conclusion you are severely lacking on the knowledge department when discussing graphics cards and consoles from everything i see you post.

And yes, what you post is cherry picked, you only find what suits you while not showing the entire story, that's called cherry picking.

The idea that Assassins Creed Unity is showing where games "are going" is laughable at best.

17. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    You need to look at the big picture, my 1gb 9800gt for example wasn´t any faster than the 256mb 8800gt but it was able to play new games for much longer.

Do you think the 8800 256mb mistake was able to do this?... well it could if it had proper amount of memory:

You think that just because it´s an entry level gpu it´s ok for it to play newer games with worse textures than several years old titles and/or with hiccups and stuttering?. You think that progress is something that should be relegated to high end cards... and consoles? :3eyes:

Ps.- And the 970 isn´t "high end".

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Nah, he's saying that for the GTX 950 specifically, 4GB isn't going to increase performance in any useful scenario. Sure, at 4K maybe that extra 2GB gets you from 10 FPS to 14 FPS, right? The GPU just isn't powerful enough for gaming frame rates using that much VRAM. It's pretty simple.

19. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    It´s not like vram is a magic fps machine lol, but the appropiate amount of vram with the appropiate bus would have made this card able to handle console textures no problem... I mean, just watch at the videos I posted, sucks so hard at doing world streaming in watch dogs, ac unity, and dying light compared to 3gb cards. Then he thinks that 4gb is some kind of vicious buffer because that is what the 980 and 970 are using, but a 4gb memory buffer when compared to ps4 and xboxone´s is almost as poor as the 256mb in the 8800gt compared to xbox360´s... barely enough to keep your gaming going but no future.

Ps.- Let me post in nvidia driver thread that f1 2015 is crashing with a "reduce your video memory usage warning" in my 2gb card. Go figure.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  20. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Freaking card is low end. It's got exactly the right amount for its gpu power. You can't expect a low end card to have a higher memory bus. It was designed that way to run optimally. You want more gpu power and higher bus buy gm204 or gm200.