Review: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X Trio

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Join us as we review that all new MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X Trio. MSI overhauled their GeForce GTX 1080 Ti design as this product received a new cooler and new looks. The end result is a fact...

Review: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X Trio

airbud7 likes this.
  2. Atombender

Atombender Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 6800 XT
    I think MSI is shooting itself in the foot with this card. Because I really wonder who is going to buy the Lightning Z when this card will come out.

3. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    I don't suppose you have temperature and noise compairsons to other custom models somewhere? Especially with this model, which on a performance level should be quite similar to MSIs own Gaming X variant, one of the most interesting things would be how the cooler stacks up against MSIs Twinfrozr cooler, and other custom coolers. Comparison to reference designs only doesn't really allow a proper decision which custom card to get.

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Lightnings are so high-end that they remain a limited production run. So one stock runs dry, that's it. You can still get them, but I think the Trio will replace the Lightning in that respect.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    For temps that's already listed in the article, look at he bottom of the temps page. For noise, sure let me look that up and I'll insert it for you.

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Impressive cooler.

7. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    It is and it isn't. Dimensions are too big. This wouldn't even fit in my Fractal R5 case unless I remove HDD cages.

I mean if they make GPU 500cm long it would run even cooler, but at what point do we stop?

8. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Nice card and great review H, but this massive cooler still doesn't seem to net any extra overclocking compared to other AIB cards, maybe it will help with throttling , sadly the days of overclocking now seems very limited with GPU boost 3.0 and all the limiters. Putting Pascal under water cooling seems to net the best overclocks .

Shame we cant even find out what the ASIC quality is :(

9. Ziggymac

Ziggymac Guest

GPU:
    Asus 970 Strix SLi
    I still see a product that is very close to its limits in games @4K.

The only way it will stay relevant is if you start to drop down to 1440p as time goes on.

If you want a card that will offer headroom to last more than a couple of years @4K then you will need a card that can reach 90-120fps @4K today, which of course doesn't exist.

What I'm basically saying is that this card should only be seen as the ultimate 1440p GPU.

If you want a true 4K card then you're going to have to wait for Volta.

10. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Looks like this could be the GTX 1080ti card to get! Sure, the fastest GTX 1080ti (MSI Lightening) is 2% faster than this one, but this one is super quiet as well as having that bracket that keeps the card secured really well in the case. This is the one to get, silence is golden!

11. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    Given the artificial OC threshold, achieving less noise / temps becomes less and less useful... I don't know how much sense this cooler makes.
    I guess it depends on the price.

12. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    I wish for the day Hilbert would put graphics score instead of total score in 3DMark Firestrike(we don't have the cpu so no point in total scores)

Singleton99 and Robbo9999 like this.
  13. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I think the same, although I think there is a Timespy Graphics Score listed, and often you can find screenshots of the Firestrike that let you see the Graphics Score, but the screenshot's not always there.

14. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Exactly, in several reviews (like this one) no screenshot of Firestrike, making results compare a difficult job.

Edit: One more thing, I suggest that Hilbert put the stock boost clock the card runs at "untweaked", this way we can expect what performance it's capable of.

15. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Impressive results, especially the thermals and noise. I admit that I had doubts about this card, but looks like that extra cooling is worth it.

16. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Thanks. The noise level does look quite impressive comparing it to the other custom cards.

For now it also costs over €100 more then an ordinary Gaming X, but hopefully that price comes down.

17. Utopia

Utopia Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 280x
    Dang I am in love with this card. If it really drops at $750 I will be picking it up day one.
    Good job MSI & great review.

18. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I just bought the MSI lightening, so little annoying they got this card out soon... though the lightening does win across the board at least

19. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Great looking card. Performance and cooling are also impressive.

Good review HH!

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    You can't expect any frequency as card to card can vary by +/-100 mhz