Review: Middle-Earth Shadow of War: PC graphics performance analysis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We will look at Middle-earth: Shadow of War in a PC graphics performance and PC gamer way. We'll test the game on the PC platform relative towards graphics card performance with the latest AMD/NVIDIA graphics card drivers. Multiple graphics cards are being tested and benchmarked. We have a look at performance with the newest graphics cards and technologies.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pag...-graphics-performance-benchmark-review,1.html

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I (and AMD) would LOVE to know what is causing that 45 FPS issue ...

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I've also read that the AMD driver for the game's launch improved the performance about 20% over night (compared to their driver release before the latest one). Really good job on AMD's driver team imho.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  4. Hequaqua

Hequaqua Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    I'm suffering from the 45fps.....only in the benchmark. In-game on Ultra I'm getting 85-90's for the most part. I have a GTX1080. It appears the benchmark doesn't load up my GPU core...it sits anywhere between 18% to 40%. Also the voltage is wacky...never over 1.000v, most of the run it's at .0863v.

Very odd.

Here is some video I made yesterday:

EDIT: I think the reason this one was lower was due to something else in the background.

Here is the log from when I first ran the benchmark:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017

5. lobez

lobez Guest

GPU:
    Fury X
    I capped fps to 75 at 3440x1440@ultra settings. 6800k plus a 1080ti watercooled.

6. Abilio

Abilio Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
    Here it runs great, at 1080p with my 1700 @ 4.0 DDR4 3333 and a GTX 1080 Ti on WC it was 128 fps.

tunejunky likes this.
  7. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    Good News!
    i will happily put this under the tree.
    not a fan of 1st person p.o.v. per se, but as an old geek of long standing (having read Tolkien @ 10 y.o. in the dim mists of time)
    but it is freaking playing fan fiction!
    and i love it :p

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Is the 45 fps Ryzen issue only with the benchmark and not in game? Could be a simple bug if so.

9. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    I'm curious how the first game ran in benchmarks. Shadow of Mordor came out in 2014 right? I was using a r9 290 back then, hehe. Does anybody know if they made any changes to the game engine?

10. SDEagle

SDEagle Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 SLI
    Hi Hilbert, could you please verify (or, at least check) if SLI profiles are available for all the games that you review moving forward? This will be very helpful for us (who has GPUs in SLI) whether to buy, or skip the games based on your suggestions. Thanks in advance.

11. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    You can get that information from the "Game Ready" drivers that usually come out prior. It looks as they have added Middle-Earth Shadow of War profile to SLI for the 387.92 WHQL drivers.

tunejunky likes this.
  12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I had a R9 290 too at the time and while the benchmark kept a locked 60 fps w/ maxed settings (1080p), some sections in game dropped frames so I dropped foliage a notch lower and turned off order-independent alpha blending iirc.

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah there's a area with a ton of vegetation in act 2 in this game which runs quite different compared to the first two more barren areas, though if the benchmark is meant to stress the game I would expect that area to be the one they're using for it.
    (But it might be a different area or perhaps a area specifically for the benchmark mode similar to how say the Metro Last Light benchmark was set up.)

Also while the texture data might be mostly cached 4 GB isn't going to help for very long with the ultra quality pack, about an hour or so and the GPU will start seeing heavy swapping and more than that you're likely to experience full stalls and pauses as the texture data increases further, don't even need to leave the current map as this can be replicated on either of the first two areas the game has in act 1 which is pretty impressive since the city environment isn't all that big and the texture variety seems pretty low too but it still fills up that VRAM pretty quickly. :D

Can't be edited in the config file in this game but as far as I remember the previous game tried to maintain a 85% total of the GPU's free memory though since it was reserving it as a cache even 8+ GB GPU's could see a lot of VRAM being taken up even if the game probably actually didn't use nearly as much for actual texture data ha ha.

Unsure if more precise reading is possible when the texture data is cached like this, might be impossible to get the true value of how much is actually seeing some use and not just being held.

14. jaju123

jaju123 Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire
    You can fix the 40 fps AMD issue by installing the 16299.15 windows fall creator's update build. I did it myself and so did a few others and this fixed the issue for all of us. It's a Microsoft issue.

shalafi likes this.
  15. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    And 1060 3GB is nowhere to be found, but for that we have other site reviews, right? (at least there is mention at end of article that any card even with lower VRAM will work).

16. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    And probably the DRM locking him out of it being a factor as well.....

17. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Nono, the game does not startup on any rig once the DRM is triggered. I am completely locked out (still).

mikev190 likes this.
  18. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I do not have a 3GB model in-house, Nvidia never supplied the ref sample, AIBs did. Neither do I want to recommend my reader-base to get one over the 6GB version.

19. urdus12

urdus12 Guest

GPU:
    msi r9 390 8gb
    When you have the chance please do R9 390 . thanks for the hard work

20. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Small note, CPU scaling perf results with Threadripper 1950X are fine so the Ryzen 7 1800X low FPS issue really seems OS or game related. Currently I am trying to upgrade Windows to the fall build and will report back. But the fact that TR 1950X (basically dual 1800X) works fine means this is an isolated issue somehow to some users.

I added Threadripper into the bar chart.