Review: Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020): PC graphics performance analysis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Kool64

Kool64 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    I got scolded for landing the plane in the first training mission :D

joe187 and XenthorX like this.
  2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
  3. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX1070 FE
    I am enjoying it, even on my not so top machine, it runs good enough to be enjoyable imo. MSI-AB fps limiter, seems a bit smoother then the game's built in limiter and vsync, in case anyone rolls that way.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB

5. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    Thanks for the review, though we might have to downgrade you from Captain Hilbert for that Heathrow landing :)

My friend who is an avid flightsim buff has a Geforce 960 so I fear for his 2GB of RAM and gpu even at 1080. Be might be on 1024x768 at medium settings I guess. His cpu is probably low rent as well, perhaps a Sandybridge, so will be interesting to see the cpu analysis.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  6. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    Maybe. However, Bing satellite data seems to be far less detailed than Google satellite data, at least in my area. With google I can zoom in and see every bush, in Bing it's just a splotchy mess one can't discern what it is (the latter also translates to the game!). Also, the colors look much more realistic on the Google images. I guess it depends on the area, although Google seems to be more detailed in some more "famous" areas as well, so that may not be the case.
    Sounds like it's high time for an upgrade. ;)

7. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    This game supposed supports DX12U because of Ray Tracing. Something is wrong indeed.

8. yesflight

yesflight New Member

GPU:
    GT 1030
    Ordered FS2020 Premium. Unfortunately I'm stuck with a 2GB GT 1030 for the moment, with otherwise good specs. Just hope it will somehow work.

9. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    This game delivers what i expected from it, really satisfying.

10. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    If he wants to stay nvidia a new 3060 in the near future might be good upgrade from mid range in those days to mid range now, although I hope he doesn't have to pull down the emergency oxygen supply when he sees the price :D

Cave Waverider likes this.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The game doesn't have ray tracing.

12. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    i like the ''HEY GUYS ITS OK TO BE AT 30 FPS, DONT YOU WORRY WE GOT YOU ITS ACCETABLE, ITS ONLY A SIM, YOU DONT NEED EXTRA FPS'', no is not this is going backwards, game needs to be optimized.

Prince Valiant likes this.
  13. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    YET

MS has announced this game supporting Ray Tracing on upcoming Xbox X Series. That means requires DX12U to do so.

14. Kool64

Kool64 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    So my new goal in life is to land(not crash) a Cessna in my back yard.

Cave Waverider likes this.
  15. geogan

geogan Master Guru

GPU:
    3070 AORUS Master
    "The one thing I am left baffled by is the fact that this title is DirectX 11 only, A Microsoft title, developer of DirectX, not using or even offering DirectX 12. "

Yes that seems crazy alright. I thought DX12 was supposed to have much better speed at draw calls per second than DX11 - well that was what the original hype was about anyway. And they also require Windows 10 May 2019 minimum to play so that would mean everyone would have DX12.

Yes i watched Hilberts "flight" to Heathrow, and the crash at end - disappointed that there seems to be no realistic crash mayhem - just cuts to black - that's bad.

Also noticed the very slow load times when he skipped forward in time - presumably has to reload a lot of data (maps/terrain/AI processing) from cloud servers. Maybe this is reason no real fast fighter jets can be put in this game - would have preferred to have some military jets than just commercial and private planes.

Love the weather/cloud effects though - very realistic

So yes the made it realistic - the 747 flight is as boring as real life!

So what's best way to buy this then? Game Pass for PC for €1.00 and then €3.99 a month after that is it? Seems way cheaper than forking out €70+ in one go.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020

16. bugmenot2

bugmenot2 New Member

GPU:
    y
    Amazing coverage! Made an account to request the following test:
    Virtual Reality Preview Test: 4K at Medium Settings.
    Asobo has stated that their performance target for VR is medium settings, and that VR support will launch when the HP Reverb G2 launches. That headset uses 2160x2160pixels per eye, the test could provide a useful approximation of what that performance looks like today.

17. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    Never viewed Flight sim as a game.

I'm sure some people will buy it, and enthusiasts will lap it up.

Probably high settings will be for most people and will be hardly any difference expect a better frame rate.

18. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    Sorry have a question:
    on the Main Page you write you tested the 3800xt vs the 9900k, on the 4th page (CPU Scaling test) in the text it says: "Below you can see the 9900K from Intel and a 3900X from AMD." but on the graph the 3800xt is listed again. Is the graph about the 3800xt as a matter of fact? And if so, could you test the 3900x to see if the 4 cores more bring anything, as it appears the thing might be CPU limited at the 1080p resolution.
    Thanks

19. Kool64

Kool64 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    I found my house however my yard has way too many trees in the game compared to RL so no landing in my yard for me.

20. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    That's a typo in the text and was fixed. the 3800 XT as listed in the chart is correct. I'll think about adding a result with even more cores, albeit I very much doubt it'll make a substantial difference.