1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review: Kingdom Come: Deliverance PC graphics performance analysis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Well I did saw in couple of places some ppl saying it is a good looking game and should be used for benchmarking, I have no time in my life to respond to all of them so I posted here a fact that game is probably running an ancient engine

2. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Using the words 'fact' and 'probably' to describe the same thing ha ha ha

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    I care. Not because I'd personally expect miracles from my old GPU and my obsolete CPU, but because it annoys me when development stops. Just like Intel stopped developing their CPUs for generations. In the future GPU architectures will probably change as it's difficult to manufacture larger and larger monolithic single dies. Why would the totally new GPUs need to be optimised for an ancient API? It makes no sense.

4. SlamDunk

SlamDunk Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 570 1280MB
    Thanks for this analysis.

Are there any performance differences between having 16GB and 32GB of RAM?

5. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 @1.55ghz
    you seem to be misinformed. dx12 offers little over dx11 except in low level cpu optimization/threading situations that require massive attention from the dev to implement. it will not be widely adopted by devs who arent paid off by microsoft because it is a win10 gimmick, rather than a graphical advancement milestone. look to vulkan if you want modern low level API

Solfaur likes this.
  6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    I do not understand people who refuse to play something simply because it uses an older tech. Most all of what we do is based on or still uses old tech/code. To prevent yourself from experiencing things to send a message which is not being received seems like a self inflicted wound.

pegasus1 likes this.
  7. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    As Less Grossman suggested in Tropic Thunder, "You can have a private jet and a load of cash, or grow yourself a conscience and see how far that gets you".

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Maybe use of some AI instancing?

9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Possibly Cry-Engine 3.8.6 though they've altered the version string so I'm trying to identify it using cvars known to have been altered, added or removed but it's not looking to be Cry-Engine V which is unfortunate since V launched in 2016 with updates since then bringing it to 5.4.0 though that's much to recent to have been a possibility for this game since it would take months to refactor the existing data to the new engine code.
    (I could be wrong though but I'm fairly certain about it not using the 5.x versions.)

Beta version ran at 3.7.0 I believe, looked amazing but frequently dipped to single digit which I've yet to see in the full version here although with a few config tweaks the framerate can be affected a fair bit from altering shadows, draw distance and effects such as the voxel ambient occlusion tech.

Still needs more tuning and testing though I like what they've attempted with the engine although the optimizations and other features found in Cry Engine 5.x or "V" as it's also called would likely have helped even without bringing in Vulkan or D3D12 though those API's also work as of the newer 5.x builds.

http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDOC1/CRYENGINE+5.0.0
    (That's the baseline Cry Engine V or 5.0 version from July 2016, 3.8.6 which the game might be using is from December 2015)

Much like Unreal Engine or even Unity though a game would be in development forever if they constantly tried jumping to the latest and newest tech (Duke Nukem Forever for example.) and even with Unity I don't think it's exactly trivial to update to major milestone builds such as 4.x to 5.x or 5.x to 2017.x and it's likely even harder with Cry-Engine 3.x to 5.x or even 5.x to the current 5.4 version since they've updated, removed or refactored much of the code so several things would likely have to be redone.

Would likely have helped framerate though both on PC and console but it's definitively running better than the beta build though said beta was a bit better visually though at a hefty framerate hit. :)
    (Perhaps once the mod tools are available things could be lifted from that build to enhance the full games graphics but that's just a theory, if that's 3.7.x and the full game is 3.8.x that's probably not something that would be very easy to do though.)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Thanks for the thourough benching Hilbert!

Runs pretty much like expected on my rig, I'm playing at 1440p with Ultra settings so far. Using 390.77 (game ready driver for KCD)

The only issue I got is that after the first or second iG cutscene (which is most often a dialogue, not a prerendered video), my FPS drop to 19, sometimes 9! No idea why though... might try very high settings to see if it makes a difference.