1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review: Intel Core i9 7900X processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 19, 2017.

1. nosirrah

nosirrah New Member

GPU:
    GTX 980M
    Those type C ports are really cool. I just built a setup for my sister. She connects 1 cord to her laptop and the screen jumps to a 1440p monitor and activates 2.1 speakers, wireless keyboard and mouse, blu-ray drive and backup storage.

The only improvement I want now is laptop charge through type C so I can power the hub itself and have 1 less cord to the laptop.

2. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Most of Intel's historical competition started around the same time Intel did (1960s) and competed with them for decades. The vast majority of which weren't in the right place at the right time during the tech boom of the late 80's and 90's when Intel became the market leader. Everyone had their own vision as to what processing technology would eventually become the industry standard (AIM PowerPC, ARM Acorn RISC Machine, DEC Alpha, Intel, etc etc etc), and Intel became that standard because theirs was the best overall.

Additionally, the vast majority of of the market competitors, including Intel, were nothing more than CPU clones of IBM PC, which was IBM reluctently allowed because they were under the dark cloud of 20 years of antitrust legislation by the US Government and didn't want to get dismantled. In the mid 80's, IBM lost control of the IBM PC standard to the companies cloning their chips who pushed IBM out of the market by undercutting their prices. During this time period, the clone companies were forced by IBM to be part of the "Second Source" agreement, which mandated Intel 'share success' with AMD and other companies. Intel wanted to break out of the agreement and let each companies products rise or fall on their own merits, which ended AMD's partnership with Intel. Once Intel became the standard, companies like VIA, Cirix, and AMD cloned Intel's chips through the mandated technology sharing agreement which intel finally put an end to this sharing, prompting AMD to sue Intel. AMD lost the suit and spent the next 5 years reverse engineering Intel's 386 since they no longer were given the tech directly. AMD has done a wonderful job ever since portraying themselves as a victim of the evil Intel even though the company spent five of the past seven decades riding on other companies accomplishments

3. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    To be honest, the DEC Alpha didn't die from not being the best, It was HP-Compaq that did it for them with their preference for Itanium...super shame.