Review: Intel Core i5 8600K CPU

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    I'm asking Kronikos who actually has the 4C8T CPU that I asked about, not you who has a 4C4T CPU, unless you can link some supporting info that would be good though? I was just curious how an old overclocked 2600K 4C8T CPU stacked up against AMD's best of today in high refresh rate gaming. I'm not really interested in your 4C/4T.

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Not like there is IPC difference between Sandy and Sandy. So, his situation is same with exception of games which already benefit from HT.
    vid removed - no GN here plz.
    OC often can catch to stock Ryzen. In one of cases even getting better. But that's purely based on game selection as one could just take another 10 games where i7-2600k would hold no candle to Ryzen or 10 where it would win.
    To have it done properly, one would need to put it into context of engine and year build of given engine got release.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2017
    Robbo9999 likes this.
  3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    @Fox2232 there is a difference in cache though as 2600k has more than 2500k plus the 4 more logical threads. 2500k was a great CPU but got left behind. 2600k is still going strong however. I am not sure about BF1 as I don’t own it. All the games I’ve played recently have not really been an issue except the two Forza games but those had issues no matter the number of threads.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  4. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    Thanks for that info, looks like OC'd 2600K is about as good for gaming as OC'd AMD 1700 - still going very well for an old CPU!

5. TieSKey

TieSKey Member Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    I mean no personal offence to anyone but seriously, this "future proofing" topic is ill approached since the beginning and quite stupid.
    The only way to "future proof" is to get the best bang for you buck on an upgradeable platform. To save say 100/150 now and use that to update earlier, reusing as much stuff as possible.
    Price/performance is not linear, not even close. So for example, while buying a top end 1080 would get us an "usable" (assuming some heavy gaming) system for say.. 4 years??, we could get the same from 2 cheaper cards every 2 years. (We are talking about future proofing on a budget, if money isn't an issue then upgrading early isn't either)

Maybe it made some sense a couple years ago when cpus upgraded only less than 10% total performance from year to year and we were forced to change mb too, but it certainly doesn't now since Ryzen happened, some node upgrades on both sides are really close and AM4 will last at least until Ryzen2.

6. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire V64 LC
    The first ones are now available. Many more have already been announced. The main target of game developers are consoles. The only way to achieve performance for new 4K consoles (many weak cores) is to fully utilize multi-threading. By programming for 7 threads there is no reason not to go further and provide full scalability.
    Last year, Anandtech wrote that no game is scaling over the 4 threads, and that buying a processor with a large number of cores (for gaming) does not make sense. What is the value now their tests and predictions ? Your predictions of the future do not convince me. Probably your crystal ball is faulty;)

7. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Yeah, I've always found "future proofing" to be a bit iffy. Essentially, we are making giant assumptions about how the future will pan out and planning our purchases based on those assumptions. Certainly, the focus of Coffee Lake is to add more cores but that doesn't mean game developers will follow through anytime soon (I think Agent is right in that it will probably take several years for games to make effective use of six cores).

IMO, you should buy CPUs mostly based on what you need right now. Coffee Lake is for those who want fast single-core performance, but who also have an immediate need for more cores (e.g., streaming, light productivity, heavy multi-tasking, etc). Buying Coffee Lake even though you don't need the extra cores will likely mean that those extra cores will go underutilized for months (if not years), and by the time games go multi-core there will be faster/better options available (i.e., Ice Lake, Zen 2).

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Again. Read the word effectively.

Coffee lake 6c is faster in every game, including those “highly” threaded games.
    No 8c, 10c, or even 18c can beat it.

Game developers are lazy and considering dx12 so far is bad this will continue for a few years at least

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    In 2011, you could say it about Dual core CPUs. In 2015, It would be fine to say it about Quad core CPUs. Today, you say it about Hexa core CPUs.
    But what really laughs at your statement is inner design of Vulkan/DX12. You actually ignore very reason why you need now more than 4 cores to reach 100% GPU utilization on powerful chips.

But do not worry, your chip will be just fine. Even if it holds your GPU back here and there in few years, it will still prepare more than 60fps.

10. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Agent is right...if not then explain to me how a 4core 7700k is faster than any Rizen 8 core?

11. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    Well, there are not that many CPUs out there that hold up to 144FPS in games like BF1 with good resolution. I don't know to be honest, but I will never really know any time soon. My next upgrades would be getting to 4K more often at 60FPS, and for that I need a better GPU.

As you can see in the Watch Dogs II comparison the slightly higher resolution evens out a lot of things, and this game is also a CPU beast. But the better Ryzens? No, it is very apparent the better Ryzens are very good CPUs, and those will get better too in the future.

If you are just doing 1080p at 144FPS, I mean it depends on the game I am sure. I think the 2600K would be decent still. It only seems to show big weaknesses against the very best CPUs. But I would not pick this if I was doing something like 144FPS. I would go high-end Intel or Ryzen for sure. Part of the reason I have this is because I don't have the time or money to do a full switch, I love win 7, and well yeah a big bother it would be.

My 2600k vs my 2500K it is like night and day to be honest. It really is like a whole new CPU upgrade in many respects as it almost totally eliminates the judder and stutter in so many games.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    Robbo9999 and airbud7 like this.
  12. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    present-day the same can be said about 8600k vs 8700k.....

8700k owners/buyers are much like previous 2600k owners....future proof?...it's the fastest now late 2017 so who knows?.....Zoom Zoom Fast!

13. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    Cheers for the response, yep you don't need a better CPU for 60Hz gaming, so you're set! Good to see the benefits of HT, that gives me some hope for my 6700K too when it comes to future games!

14. xIcarus

xIcarus Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti AORUS
    Definition of borderline
    1 a: being in an intermediate position or state: not fully classifiable as one thing or its opposite
    • a borderline state between waking and sleeping
    b: not quite up to, typical of, or as severe as what is usual, standard, or expected
    • borderline intelligence
    • borderline hypertension
    c: characterized by psychological instability in several areas (such as interpersonal relations, behavior, and identity) but only with brief or no psychotic episodes
    • a borderline personality disorder
    -----------------------------------------------------

You should try out reading properly. I hear it's useful these days.

Not only the cache, remember that hyperthreading helps in gaming when you're in a core starved scenario. Remember how strong those i3s were going a while back? Not sure of their current state as I've lost touch with the lower-end segment; but I'm assuming they're starting to show their weakness.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    @xIcarus did you miss the part where I said the 2600k has 4 more logical cores than the 2500k?

Robbo9999 likes this.

16. liesenberg

liesenberg Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 6GB
    Great review HH! I must say that was expected due to higher core clock and some marginal IPC gain. Ineed it looks like a really good gaming chip for those who aim exclusively at high count FPS... I might add that indeed in terms of bang for the buck AMD its the way to go not only because when we got a GPU bottleneck things get on pair, but its due the fact that one could upgrade later to refreshed revision of Ryzen probably with higher clocks.

Other thing I like to add in the recent discussion about old gen's and gaming at 1080p (60hz)

I am proud owner (some might laugh) of an i7 875k at 4.0Ghz (1.2750v) paired with a GTX 1060 6GB.

I have found that I dont have any problems running any game at rock solid 60 FPS with my very very very old i7. There are a very few games witch still relys on pure single thread performance where I see my 1st Core (Core0) almost maxed out. But in 90% of the games my GPU is always at 99% and in the other 10% its always above 85% witch confirms the fact that my old i7 still a very competent processor to deliver me 60 rock solid FPS.

I like to share my experience with you guys because having the first unlocked i7 its something rare this days and with some fine tweaking I was able to squezze a very amazing amount of performance of him.

Regards from Will.

Robbo9999 and airbud7 like this.
  17. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    This looks nice for the dedicated gamer. If I wanted to keep a gaming pc more then ~2 years or so without upgrading the CPU I think I would want more threads, but if you plan to upgrade every 2-3 years and don't play the smallish amount of games that actually use more then 6 cores/threads then this i5 8600K is a superb buy. For almost everyone else out there I'd get a Ryzen 1700.

18. x2xx

x2xx New Member

GPU:
    Sparkle 6800 GT 475/1100
    hi, any SLI benchmarks with coffee lake in the future? that will be nice

19. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    I guess I missed this review. This looks like a good cpu for the future but don't see any reason to upgrade from my 6600k for now since I use a 4k 60hz display.