Review: Intel Core i5 8600K CPU

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Tsenng

Tsenng Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx980TI OC
    Hmm i don't get it. For ppl that use the PC for pure gaming and STILL only have full HD monitors..i mean come on if you are a gamer looking for good gaming you do NOT game at full hd anymore.

Soon as we go to 1440P even this i5 is not great anymore. It only beats even the R5 1600 by what 1-2 FPS? and it still costs (here in norway) 20-25% more? If my games already run 90+ fps the measly differences of 1-5 fps for cpu's 20-40% more expensive does not make sense at all.

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Some prefer refresh rate over resolution.

3. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    For me it's also that when I decide for a CPU, I want to use it for as long as possible, and testing at low resolutions also give a hint how much headroom it has over the weaker CPUs.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Actually, that's false. Highly OCed i3 could score among top on 720p in many games, yet it will have almost no headroom.
    Headroom is about having better multi threaded performance.

Because once one fast core is fully utilized by engine, developer will not tell customer: "Hey Bro, OC more."
    No, they'll go and use another thread to extract more performance from CPU. And another after.

I'll hint you. Look for how many threads are supported from draw calls in DX12 and Vulkan. Then add 2 for Game engine. And you are at minimum thread count which CPU has to execute separately for proper longevity.

5. Venix

Venix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    Well yeah you are on the demograph that actually cares about those diferences
    You know for a lot of us boils down to our economics rent/food always comes above my gaming so yeah when the question boils down rent or 1440p +vga ...sudenly 1080p seems great cause you already have it so is "free" .That said i agree completly with your second statement about price /perfonance ratio on 1440p +

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  6. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    It's not false, doesn't have to be false. If your test suite of games includes a good balance of titles that are optimised for 'extreme' multi-threading as well as more traditional say 1-4 thread optimised titles then you can see the gaming benefits of all CPUs in general, so if you choose wisely then your 720p results will be valid & representative for both now & in the future. It's down to choosing the right mix of games to benchmark.

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    No, they'll go and use another thread to extract more performance from CPU. And another after.

Actually, even in games that use DX12, 8700k still smokes even 18core CPUs, 8core ryzens etc.

Game developers do not spend time to design a game on many threads and will not anytime soon either.
    That's why strong per core performance will continue to reign supreme.

8. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire V64 LC
  9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Guys, read premise of post I reacted on. It is based on Maximum achievable fps when GPU is not limit. Considering that in most cases today, it is purely based on maximum Single-Threaded performance, it says nothing about longevity or "headroom" (spare performance of CPU).

Then this longevity/headroom. Do you think longevity cares about 140 vs 160 fps on current CPU? No, it will be based on entire processing power of CPU. So multi threaded performance. Because IPC is not going to go up drastically. Nor clock. That means games will be created for current CPU's ST performance and higher demand will be satisfied by more cores.

As I stated before, My Good Old Sandy i5@4,5GHz is already limiting factor. Seeing all 4 cores at 100% utilization is not pleasant experience. And think about it. i7-2600k with exactly same IPC had back in the day exactly same gaming performance (except Unreal Engine which supported HT). Today, i7-2600k has HT bonus and delivers better gaming performance. Looking at ST performance is so 2011 when AMD released Bulldozer with considerably lower performance per thread and games hardly used more than 2 threads.

10. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    That's alright, you've not really said anything different than your previous post, my previous reply would still reply to this one. I don't disagree that more cores/threads is likely to become more important in the future. You wanna choose a CPU that is gonna do well both now & tomorrow (mostly now because you don't know tomorrow for sure), and if 720p benchmarks choose a suite of games wisely that use a mixture of 'single' and 'mulitple' threads then those results will help you choose.

11. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Well, I think with CPUs like Coffee Lake one would have to assume that multi-core performance will be important in the future. After all, what is Coffee Lake if not Kaby Lake with more cores? There really is no other path to take with regard to CPU power.

As for 720p, I regard it as little more than a synthetic benchmark. It's interesting to note, but I seriously doubt anyone would game at that resolution (I would prefer low-detail 1080p instead, as that might actually be used by some gamers).

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
  13. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    2600K still doing work. No plans to upgrade.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  14. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    noun: vapourware; noun: vaporware
    1. software or hardware that has been advertised but is not yet available to buy, either because it is only a concept or because it is still being written or designed.

I disagree because you use a term incorrectly. the 8 series is not a concept, and is not still being designed. People have it in their systems right now as I type, which makes your comment effectively dumb as bricks and factually incorrect. The end.

15. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    Yep, I'm sure at some point games will start using more cores. For your second point about 720p, I've already mentioned my viewpoint on that one.

16. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    Ha, why not, if it's still pushing out those frames! Sandy bridge was a fantastic step for Intel, I have fond memories of it, and I still have a 2920XM in my laptop myself which is still going strong. Overclocked 2600K is still doing better than Ryzen at high refresh rate gaming is it, I'm not sure?

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    No, in BF1... 4C Sandy chokes badly. 4C8T Sandy is just OK. There are other games where my GPU is not fully utilized and CPU runs at 100%. But BF1 is 1st where CPU power has massive impact.
    On other hand, Both can pull 60+ fps. But having even Fury X downclocking due to low utilization while CPU has no spare cycles left... Sandy is great chip of the past. Only reason why I do not have Ryzen is desire to move from 16 to 32GB of memory while keeping decent clock as It affects CPU itself. I hope 2nd generation does better in this department.

18. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    What do you mean "No", you have a 4 core 4 thread Sandybridge, I was replying to @Khronikos who has a 4 core 8 thread Sandbridge CPU. I was wanting to know from him if his overclocked 2600K competed against Ryzen in high refresh rate gaming. We all know 4 threads isn't enough/ideal for today's games let alone tomorrows.

19. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    The Unreal 4, CryEngine 3 and Frostbite 3 already scale pretty well with more cores. They should have more optimization ready making more cores even stronger.

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Haven't I wrote about both 4C4T and 4C8T? Term Competition is highly subjective. Yes, in poorly threaded games, you can call it competition due to not so different per core performance. But difference in memory bandwidth makes another huge impact.
    And as you partly mentioned, either of 4C4T and 4C8T is not ideal today. 6C6T is next one to get fully used.