Review: Intel Core i5 8600 processor (65W) review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Intel released a new six-core processor the Core i5 8600 (non-K model) through our benchmark paces. This $249 USD proc is again a six-core processor that you will need to seat on a Z370 or H370 chipse...

Review: Intel Core i5 8600 processor (65W) review

eddieobscurant likes this.
  2. eddieobscurant

eddieobscurant Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950 2gb
    nice review, thanks.

Unfortunately , intel defines tdp at base frequency which is irrelevant. https://www.anandtech.com/show/1260...-mobile-iris-plus-desktop-chipsets-and-vpro/4

"The most interesting element to these values are the 35W low-powered T processors. In each case, the all core turbo is much, much higher than the base frequency. For example, the Core i5-8400T has a base frequency of 1.70 GHz, but the all-core turbo is set at 3.0 GHz - almost double. Given the fact that TDP is defined at the base frequency, it is quite clear that the all-core turbo mode suggested to motherboard manufacturers is going to blow that 35W limit on the i5-8400T."

Embra and Noisiv like this.
  3. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    yea, nice review Boss ....that's a sweet processor right there.

[​IMG]

Loophole35 likes this.
  4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Likely a game update.

Dragam1337 and airbud7 like this.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Defining TDP like that makes no sense, because under TDP workloads the CPU almost never operates at the base frequency. Does it?
    This is absurd definition by Intel, because its unrepresentative of any real world scenario.

i5 8600T; TDP=35W
    https://ark.intel.com/products/129938/Intel-Core-i5-8600T-Processor-9M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz

TDP
    Thermal Design Power (TDP) represents the average power, in watts, the processor dissipates when operating at Base Frequency with all cores active under an Intel-defined, high-complexity workload. Refer to Datasheet for thermal solution requirements.

6. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    yea^ ...can't test every update (take forever)

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    For anyone who doesn't intend to OC, this CPU is a very good value. Never thought I'd say that about an Intel product.

Doesn't AMD do the same? Regardless, I take the ratings with a gain of salt from both brands. Intel tends to be much more vague about it, but they both provide useless numbers. If you intend to use the stock heatsink, the TDP is largely irrelevant. If you intend to use an aftermarket cooler (probably because you intend to OC) the number won't help you figure out what you need. If it weren't for hardware reviewers, aftermarket coolers would always be a gamble.

airbud7, Loophole35 and Koniakki like this.
  8. eddieobscurant

eddieobscurant Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950 2gb
    As far as i know, no it doesn't. Do you have any link?

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I think it's pretty evident without there being any official statements. For example, the 1700 is a 65W part and the 1700X is 95W. Their XFR speeds are only 100MHz apart. It doesn't make sense why there would be a 32% difference in wattage for a 3% difference in frequency. Meanwhile, there's a 400MHz difference in base clocks. That still doesn't explain the 30W difference, but it's much more reasonable to believe that's what's driving the TDP rating.

Meanwhile, the Ryzen 1400 is also 65W despite being 300MHz slower in XFR while containing half the cores. But... it has a 200MHz lead in base clocks.

EDIT:
    Keep in mind, AMD and Intel guarantee that you'll get the performance of the base clocks. The boosted speeds are only there in the event the CPU can actually take advantage of them. That being said, the TDP rating is designed to inform you about how much heat needs to be dissipated to sustain the base clocks. Since turbo speeds are so variable and not guaranteed, the TDP therefore must revolve around base clocks.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  10. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070

If the Ryzen 1700X is a 68W part maybe they just use a bucketing system of 65W and 95W and place a TDP spec on it? The TDP really only matters to system builders and people who design heatsinks, not sure why anyone here even comments on TDP from Intel or AMD. I don't know about anyone else, but I like real world numbers so ill read Hilbert's review on actual power draw.

Embra likes this.

11. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Well on my 1500x I have seen 3.9ghz single core boost with XFR and 3.7ghz XFR on all cores. And I have seen the voltage hit 1.3 when it does 3.9 XFR single core. Thats has to be why the 1700x has a higher TDP, plus it is a 8 core CPU. And the 1700x does have a higher baseclock with XFR 3.9. 1700 is 3ghz with 3.75 XFR which is for single core on any Ryzen.
    There isnt a non X 1500, So you have to look at the R5 1400 as the comparable quad for my cpu.

12. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Intel isn't even trying to compete on price with these cpu's when u put it against the r5 1600/x this processor doesn't make sense to me. Even with super high refresh rate monitors.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Why does Intel need to compete on price? Intel has brand recognition. Intel also has a loyal fan base that will buy their products regardless of price/performance.

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    That being said the current Intel lineup is priced nicely (mainstream). You can pickup a 8700 non-K for $300 just $70 more than this CPU. That is a good value for the performance these offer.

airbud7 likes this.
  15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    To be perfectly honest, I haven't really paid anywhere near the attention to this generation of Intel processors as I have past generations. There's just nothing of interest to me right now in regards to CPUs.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    AMD has aggressive Power Control via BIOS. Leave CPU APU at default settings and it will stick to predefined Power Limits. That was Biggest problem of High End APUs in past, CPU simply downclocked when iGPU got used even in desktops.

17. artk2219

artk2219 Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    From what I remember, they do use a bracket system for their chips. In the desktop and laptop CPU market I think it was something like 4.5, 10, 15, 25, 35, 45, 65, 95, 125, 140, 180, 220. If anything jumped past the previous bracket, like you said with a 1700x putting out 68w, it immediately gets thrown into the next highest category (95w in the case of the 1700x), even though it may not put out anywhere near that much heat.