Review: Gigabyte XTREME GAMING XP1200M Power Supply

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Gigabyte released the XTREME GAMING XP1200M Platinum power supply series. It's 1200W, Platinum certified, fairly silent, modular and can be spotted for just 225 EUR. Hell they even throw in a 5 year ...

Review: Gigabyte XTREME GAMING XP1200M Power Supply

2. EdInk

EdInk Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 (H20)
    Shouldn't PSU manufacturers be moving towards lower wattage PSU's for GAMING! There's enough out there to take care of existing power hungry Gaming PC. Two GTX 1080's will happy with a 550-750W

3. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    I've had lots of products from gigabyte and from memory i believe they had the Gigabyte odin series of psu's years ago.Thx for the review Hilbert and i like the orange colors:).
    I hope you can review some of the new gigabyte x99 motherboards.

4. Ridiric

Ridiric Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz
    Back when i got my 1200W PSU things were looking like they were getting more and more power hungry so i felt justified in spending the extra for it... i really wish i had not done that now... even when my system was running two GTX 570's and 4X 2TB WD Black HDD's with AIO water cooling with my current processor and motherboard my draw from the wall maxed at around 720W (that's with everything overclocked too).

I will be building a new system shortly after Christmas (sooner if my motherboard dies as it seems to be having issues lately, had to reduce my CPU overclock from 4.2Ghz to 4.0Ghz as it started to get unstable after years of running at 4.2Ghz).

The new system I'm building is going to have the Corsair RM750i or HX750i as i honestly cant see myself needing more then that even if i run SLI GTX 1080 eventually with it, power efficiency in parts like GPU's and CPU's and even motherboards has gone up so much since i bought this power supply back with my old i7 920, and my new system will most likely ditch the HDD's all together and just run with 2X M.2 1TB SSD's + the two 1TB M550 SATA SSD's i already have.

I kinda don't get "gaming" PSU's over 850W anymore, i could only see it being helpful if you are running some super over the top water cooling setup, hell Nvidia dropped support for more then dual card SLI now so don't need it for crazy 3x or 4x SLI setups now.

Maybe.... its for people who game on a server or over the top workstation? lol

5. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    With a psu you only really want to be using about half the power available. So 1200w for an sli'd system would hopefully use around 600w max which would mean the psu is hardly under any stress and that usually means the psu is at it's most efficient running state.

This increase life, decreases noise and heat and is the proper way of doing things.

Sure a 750w psu will still perform fine on that sli'd system @ 600w but i'd personally prefer my psu at 50% rather than running at 90%. So 1200w is the perfect amount for an sli's system that uses around 600w.

I have a 750w psu because it's perfect for my system that uses around half that and knowing it's purring away at it's most efficient 50% usage means less power wasted and all the good stuff that comes with that like noise, heat and longevity makes me less concerned with failure.

Now if i was running my psu @ 70-90% usage then i'd probably be worried about heat and other issues like fan speed/noise.

6. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Why there are PSUs with so much power ? I guess you forget watercooling enthusiasts..

(otherwise there is no way someone will need something more than 750W)

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Well if you went balls out with quad cf 290x.

8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I bought a Corsair RM1000i this summer and it's by far the best PSU I ever had, and since my system at full load (and oc'ed ofc) draws about 470-500W the efficiency is at about 93%, even in idle it's still at 90-91% according to C-Link. So yeah, very good stuff, the 750i should be the same.

As for this Gigabyte PSU, it looks pretty good, although that bright orange is not really my thing. Black with white/gray accents is the best option, since you can match it with everything.

9. Hnykill

Hnykill Guest

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2080 Ti
    I have a EVGA Supernova G2 1300W. and only i7 5820K and a GTX 1070 card. i thought, why not just buy a powerful PSU and use it as long as it lasts ? ..its a important part of the computer build and most of the high wattage PSU's have high end part in them and power surge protection and likewise.