Review: Gigabyte Aorus X470 Gaming 7 Wifi

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We take X470 to the next brand as this round we review the 239 USD Gigabyte Aorus X470 Gaming 7 Wifi. All ready for the Ryzen 5 2600X and Ryzen 7 2700X, yes AMD decided to add a new chipset as well, X...

Review: Gigabyte Aorus X470 Gaming 7 Wifi

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Looks like those higher-end/high-end boards perform almost same on CPU performance side.
    But here, I would advise anyone interested to check Gigabyte's manual. And if you see everything, you expect in good MB manual.

Hilbert, thanks for review. Was really good. Especially part stating that for CPU, either 4-pin or 8-pin is enough. May help quite a few people with decision.

3. FuriousAngel

FuriousAngel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4700 OC
    So has Gigabyte become any better? I've got the previous one, the AX370 Gaming K7 and I am so freaking disappointed. Wouldn't even know where to start.

- Most basic stuff, standby makes the fans go all crazy after waking up, as most of the time they go 100% and don't go back to normal until I restart.
    - USB ports don't provide power when the computer is off, except if I have a device plugged in while turning off. Remove it, plug it back in, power gone.
    - No one could tell me either if there actually is proper USB-C power support in order to fast charge USB-C devices, no indications anywhere on the technical specifications or the manual, a shame.
    - Oh and the software. Horrible. Takes forever to load, literally forever. And SIV gave me trouble with I don't even remember, had to uninstall it in order to avoid instabilities.
    - Twice has it happened that my BIOS went bye bye all of a sudden, the computer crashing and not starting again. Had to reflash it with the help of my secondary BIOS, which it doesn't switch to automatically by the way or recover the main one, always have to manually switch the button.
    - RBG Fusion is a mess, it doesn't allow you to color by zones as it is supposed to do. And color cycle is buggy as hell, because on a cold start it doesn't cycle softly through the colors, instead it abruptly ends at any point and shifts to a totally different color all of a sudden. Only a soft reboot fixes that. Oh yeah, and you can't set the cycling speed.
    - There seems to be no software at all that is capable of correctly reading all of the sensors. Right now using CoreTemp together with Rainmeter, and all I got is 1 (as in one) CPU temperature.
    - (Had to add this one) BIOS takes freaking 10 seconds to start in its fastest mode. 10 seconds. In 2018. In that time I can get married, have kids, watch them promote and be presidents of a country.

There's probably more, but this is all things that made my want not to buy Gigabyte anymore, and it's a shame, because it was a good brand.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  4. hijodeosiris

hijodeosiris Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT
    T
    Thx for the feedback definitely taking this into considering for future purchases, we all know there is gonna be the classic reply of "is just YOUR BAD LUCK" and so on, but i think is a legit concern to consider.

5. Ridiric

Ridiric Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz
    Well to be fair, its a sample size of one, and something seriously sounds wrong with his board especially the bit about the bios randomly corrupting.

In saying that though, look on pretty much any forum for any motherboard maker and you will see similar posts, can be hard trying to wade through all the crap to find actual valid info on motherboard quality between brands, good example just from my own use, is i have an ASRock Extreme 6 X58 motherboard that i have had for over 7 years now and its still working like a pro with my i7 970 6c12t cpu running at 4.2Ghz, never had any issues with it and has been rock solid, but then enter my new system, its an ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming K6, and i have had quite a few issues with it, it sometimes randomly wont detect my SSD as being installed so i cant boot and i need to turn it off at the wall and drain the power before turning it back on before it will find it again, also the first ethernet port gets detected by windows and is all installed correctly, but just doesn't work not really a huge issue cause it has two ethernet ports and i just use the second one but its still a weird bug, and i have heard of people getting similar issues with sata ports and usb ports dieing or not detecting and network ports not working for this board as well, but on the plus side, ram overclocking works really well on this board, cpu overclocking also great, its a cheap board for the features it has (assuming they all work), often it pretty much just comes down to what your budget is and what features you want, if the board doesn't work as advertised you can always return it, if the replacement also doesn't work as advertised then you can ask for a refund or a replacement with a different brand (at least in Australia you can)

6. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    HH, have you by chance experimented running a 1700/1700x/1800x on one of the x470 motherboards? I would be curious to see if either of them benefit from the newer board, particularly ram speed. Thanks.

7. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Nice review Boss...
    base/boost looks reversed on last page graph.

8. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    Just picked this board up on Prime day, now just need processor and ram :) slowly but surely getting to my new ryzen build

9. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    A expected review, as always. Cheers.

But i got myself a MSI board this time, maybe i get my new gear next week.
    Had/have Asus all my life.

But, if you compare this board, to similar prize, the boards, the ones compared with, are more expensive.

Just using the numbers on from same site.
    Asus Crosshair VII Hero is 289€
    MSI Gaming M7 AC is 279€
    Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 is 269€

MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC is 219€ (Mine to come)

I´d say, there isn´t much differences on these boards.

Sure, the 219€ board has just very basic lan port.
    Aorus can reach higher memory speed than other of these boards. As can MSI M7.

Even my 219€ is having 12 phase power, as has Asus and Gigabyte. MSI M7 has 14.
    Atleast for now, what we know, having 2x8 power input vs 8+4 or just 8 input makes a difference, as we know so far, it doesnt.
    But even this MSI 219€ is having it. Maybe has something to do with Zen2? Well, time tells.

Crosshair VII most likely has the best audio, since having a dedicated soundcard.

Other than that, i just don´t see/feel that much difference. Plenty on connections for RGB, if you want it.
    Every maker has their own software, some better that others, but still.

Small things in my eyes. The one i got, it looks very good, and more than i need with connections and what not. ( More pci-e lanes pls...)

I suppose, what is bugging me for ages now, is the naming of these boards, which is increasing the prize by alot. Like my 2600k´s MB was 160€
    and been doing all i want.

Well, anyways, finally i spewdt it out.

The more expensive and fancier naming is not always the best oprion prize wise.

Rant off. ><

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I had MSI x470 Gaming Pro Carbon AC till VRMs for memory died. It was worst board ever for price. on HW level very few features. BIOS bare of any extra features. Not even Voltage offset. Only thing which MSI keeps at competitive level is arrangement of items in each menu for easier access. But then 1/2 of items are missing.
    Replaced with ASRock x470 Taichi. CPU clock higher out of the box. ASRock's MB does not pump over 1.5V into it in case of single core boost like MSI's did.

I always had MSI boards because they had good quality and had many extra features. That's no longer true. Even B350 board from Gigabyte costing 1/2 has better BIOS than MSI. And with ASRock, cheapest 1/4 priced board has those features too. (One just has to find 3rd sub-menu somewhere.) Because while they can save on MB components, they can still deliver BIOS features. (Components cost comes with each single board made, but BIOS is made once for all.)

Darkiee likes this.

11. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    @Fox2232 I´ll take your experince, and see how i actually feel. I mean i thought MSI was also making good and durable mboards.

But +1 for your info.