Review: Ghost Recon: Wildlands PC graphics performance review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  3. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    Nice review. Heh easy to see AMD's driver overhead totally limiting cards at 1080p. All cars hitting pretty much the same fps.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    People are going to cry that this is unoptimized but the graphics in this game are insanely good imo. The first beta had terrible performance but the second ran perfectly good on my system.

Problem is I don't think the game is worth $60. Maybe when it hits $30 I'll pick it up.

5. Perjantai

Perjantai Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080
    Very sneaky hilbert..I see what u did there :)

6. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Still there people who say GTX1080 is overkill for 1080p gaming? 1080 can't be close to 120 fps for those who use 144hz monitors!

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It's not driver overhead, Nvidia gameworks really is messing this title up for AMD it seems. Not a good development TBH.

8. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    How di did you test amd gpus? Because my r9 390 runs with no stutter and hiccups. Just avoid game v-sync, is bugged, it puts a limit to your fps to 30.
    I personally use borderless window without v-sync and it runs smooth. The only gamework crap i activated is the hbao+, advanced god rays.Turf,surface scattering and high quality dof are useless anyway

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  9. Alienwarez567

Alienwarez567 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1
    Sooo a GTX 1080 in the 4K chart..???

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Does it look better than The Division? That game runs so much better than this.

11. mrrulez911

mrrulez911 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    Nice review Hilbert.

I tried a lot of options in the settings menu. Eventually I turned off Vsync and use almost ultra settings, but without FXAA/TAA, also no motion blur. And I get like an average fps of 35. As I already said at another topic about The Division, this game is also quite playable with an framerate less than 60. I think it is because of the fast switching 3th and 1st person gameplay. Wildlands on my YouTube

12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310

They run about the same here, everything enabled at 2560x1440 and the games tend to however around 30 up to 40 FPS mostly (Meaning some ini tweaks for Division.) though some stuttering and framerate drops will occur ever now and again due to VRAM limitations, 6GB or higher is definitively recommended at 2560x1440 in newer games though AMD doesn't have a high-end replacement for the Fury GPU just yet and the upcoming 580 appears to be a updated 480 GPU so probably still a bit slower even with the clock speed bump and maybe some other tweaks.

Far as I've read the benchmark for Wildlands also runs better than the game itself does but it probably varies since there's a bunch of different environments due to the map being split into all these zones, going to be interesting to see how the jungle areas perform whenever I find one of them. :D

EDIT: Division uses Snowdrop though which is a in-house engine from the developers, Wildlands uses Scimitar/Anvil/Anvil Next also seen in For Honor and I think Snow (Besides AC Unity and AC Syndicate) with Ubisoft collaborating with Nvidia so there's some Gameworks enhancements.

Sure they might not be "AMD optimized" or however to call it but I do like how they look although HBAO+ in particular is often a bit exaggerated and appears overly dark though it does make it very noticeable too.

On that note it's going to be interesting to see how Mass Effect 4 runs, uses Frostbite but has some Gameworks features implemented though I think it's things like Ansel and GSync and not graphical effects.
    (Engine itself generally runs really well too.)

No idea how multi-GPU support is for Wildlands, apparently there's some problems from a pinned topic on the Ubisoft forums for the game and as for DirectX 12 I don't think it's planned.

Game also has a lot of smaller bugs and glitches, AI can be a bit inactive and such but it has been stable which is not something I could say for Unity or Syndicate.

EasyAntiCheat prevents a couple of things in this and For Honor such as the non-whitelisted beta of RTSS 6.7.0/7.0.0 but it doesn't seem to prevent cheating going by bot usage in For Honor though perhaps it'll work better for this game?

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Hard to say, the draw distance in this is like 10x any area of The Division. Plus it's a cityscape vs Jungle/Forest/Mountain region. Both games look really good for their respective geographies I guess lol.

Two different engines too - I'm actually surprised Ubi isn't switching all their games over to snowdrop. Massive posted demos of it doing forest regions and stuff, so it's definitely capable of handling that, but for whatever reason they are using Anvil for this. Which is notoriously bad on AMD hardware.

14. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    Snowdrops looks way better than this. I'm not very impressed by wildlands graphics to be honest, i think the division looks better even with the downgrade from E3, its more detailed. The materials are not rendered very good by this anvil engine, even if on ultra texture

15. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The view distance is certainly impressive though but it does have fairly aggressive LOD scaling (Nothing new there since Assassin's Creed 2 or so heh.) though it's quite impressive although some of the textures can be a bit low-res too like the terrain or ground for example although unless you specifically focus on it you won't generally notice.
    (Blends better than AC Unity did though, all of Paris but a few meters away from the players position it's a blocky low-poly low-textured soup or how to describe it ha ha.)

16. mrrulez911

mrrulez911 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
  17. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    Well don't care of lod if the near stuff looks fairly good. I prefer detailed objects in immediate nearing instead of increased lod, among the two. But guess goes by taste

18. Sartnir

Sartnir Guest

GPU:
    Hello

Are they remove the v-sync parse fps when v-sync is "on"?
    In beta it was very annoying
    Please reply...........thank you...........!!!

19. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That's understandable, to me both are important and compared to Division then for Wildlands where the map or terrain is more open and the player can pretty much go anywhere such as climbing up some mountain or just take off in a helicopter and overlook much of the game world without anything blocking the view I find it quite impressive how they manage to make it look detailed with vegetation and things like vehicle lights and what not during night time extending almost to the edge of the view area. (Without things looking too 2D or sparse.)

Division gets a bit of help from it's weather and fog setup with snow obscuring the players vision plus the square map design and building layout and other obstructions so they have focused on adding a lot of clutter and other details and then culling and occlusion takes care of not rendering everything taking advantage of the player only being able to see part of the city at a time whereas Wildlands is very open so perhaps for this game they sacrificed a bit of fidelity to allow better blending between near and far detail.

Vehicles also allow for faster transportation including air which is when the game really starts reducing terrain detail as you start flying across the different regions so it needs a quick system for streaming to avoid pop-in and noticeable transitions between low and high detail model and texture states.

Not the best explanation perhaps but bit of a fine line between performance and graphical quality for a open world game with such a large playing area trying to give the illusion of trees and grass extending across the far distance even if it's probably pretty low detail to maintain performance but it works pretty well.

The more immediate area isn't that bad either though even if it's more urban smaller towns or ruined villages and not some bigger city environments.

Shader wise thought the lighting in Division is definitively a step above and the material system is pretty amazing too from the usual effects such as having plastic and metallic surfaces being clearly defined to smaller touches such as the various degrees of melted snow and of course the large number of reflections found in the environment.

Well I'm not the best at describing or explaining things or well not sure what to say but I do find both games to be pretty good looking, Division might not quite match the very first marketing footage though whereas Wildlands hasn't changed much far as I can tell though both look really good.
    (Probably still look really good on the PS4 and XBO platforms even without some of the PC enhancements though I don't know what the actual display resolution for the games are on console.)

And for the game well for the moment I guess waiting and seeing how the developer proceeds now after the games launch will be important, don't really know how well it's selling but if they can keep the game maintained and patch up bugs and such quickly they might be able to retain a decent sized player base though who knows, last I heard For Honor had seen a pretty big drop already in player activity though this game isn't strictly online-only even if it focuses on co-op. (And has a in-game cash store...)

20. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I didn't expect this.
    Looks frigin AWESOME!!!

I'd kill myself if I had to use Vsync ON