Guru3D Content Review: GeForce RTX 3090 (FE) Founder edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 24, 2020.

1. StarvinMarvinDK

StarvinMarvinDK Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB Gaming OC 3080
    This is only in applications - not games.

If I'm wrong, please do throw a link :D

I know you wrote during rendering ;)

2. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    Well, as many others said before me, the prospect of 20GB 3080 has become a lot more appealing (at least for the ones that plan to keep the card for 3+ years), that is if the price won't exceed 1000euros... my "fear" with that card is just that, besides the waiting game, it might turn out a lot more expensive than the 10GB one.

Either way, the 3090 is out of my reach, even if I could get one, the 10-15% performance is in no way worth more than double the price. At least not exclusively for gaming.

3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Not good enough. And it's a damn shame.

Would it...could it, be possible that; the drivers are junk?

That performance is really not that good at all....gonna talk to my lenovo rep on this, because I'll be dammed if my workstation with a threadripper pro is gonna have this on board.

It's just not worth it.

4. ingeon

ingeon Member

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-768I
    Agree. But at the same time its about testing and benching performance and trending performance. And our leather jacket friend needs to put his money where his mouth is. We come here to see and compare technology advances and test comparisons and hold suppliers liable to their marketing hogwash so we can purchase wisely :)

Ps. As for efficiency the 3080 hogs an extra 100W for 10fps avg improvement over the 2080ti

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020

5. geogan

geogan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    Yes but that appears to be "failure by design".

There is absolutely NO reason why these GPU rendering software such as Blender couldn't be written to swap from VRAM back and forth to actual main system RAM at any point, in a few milliseconds, and continue rendering gigantic scenes by breaking it up into chunks...

But it seems they are not bothering to do this... or NVidia made sure that it couldn't be done... so they can say that 10GB is not enough and sell more high-end cards with more VRAM

Its just another rigged game... same as the gimped software drivers causing Geforce cards to run way slower than the pro cards in certain pro software used in industrial design.

It's "gimped by design"

ingeon likes this.
  6. Volteron

Volteron Member

GPU:
    2080ti sli
    8k card not reviewed in 8k?

ingeon likes this.
  7. Witcher29

Witcher29 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Gaming X
    I remember the game lords of the fallen on 1440p that game did eat up almost all my vram its sticking on 10 gb of videoram. But it had vram leaks anyway lol.

8. hanna32andrew

hanna32andrew New Member

GPU:
    GTX 960
    really like the video

9. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 HC
    And more than double the cheese ass 10Gb of lackluster already obsolete VRAM.

Can practically fill that up with today's games at 1080.

Everyone knows already that bigger cards are coming, but I guess people needing to state the obvious for something to speak about.

Production wise and gaming the 3090 is untouchable, but again you get what you pay for.

Sure if you want to buy this card strictly for gaming I'd mostly agree with you, but the card is capable of destroying three thousand plus dollar cards. It's all in the perspective...

Fediuld likes this.
  10. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Would be an issue to me, I build/overclock for efficiency. That and the fact it dumps all the heat into the case. Bad. VERY bad.

alanm likes this.

11. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1080ti
    if anyone, a creator, is still interested in the 3090 and did not watch Linus Tech Tips video Making Nvidia’s CEO mad - RTX 3090 Review go watch it now !
    the 3090 has not been called a titan because it's not..it's a scam really this card
    1) it becomes clear after watching/reading several sources that the 10Gbs vram of the 3080 were chosen for more than the added cost, it specifically blocks the 3080 to run 3d rendering tasks and...8K gaming which the 3090 can do, those all seem to need around 11gbs "what a coincidence" :rolleyes:
    2) it's not a titan like we all tought, nvidia has voluntarily blocked titan features to "nerf" the card for pro applications and apparently it's official and will never change
    3) Jensen said quantity of the 3090 gpu chip production would be very limited

- I really don't get why AIBs all cared about making one, it's now clearly a dud that won't be produced in enough quantities to be worth the re-design work
    - I am pretty "certain" that Nvidia is going to do us a "980 Ti" again, a titan may be released later and the 3080 20gb may be followed by a ti and super later it's clear with what I tell you above that nvidia is releasing "nerfed" versions 1st this has become ridiculous
    - I went from disappointed to mad now, this card the 3090 is a predatory product
    - the 3080 10Gbs also dropped out of my wishlist as we now know that number was chosen to block the card from some uses
    - EDITED I understood RTX IO wrong but still I strongly believe it will require more vram than games now do, if the videocard does the decompression it needs vram space to do so no ?

Loobyluggs likes this.
  12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    • GeForce RTX 3090 - On your average system we recommend a 750 Watt power supply unit.
    Your sure about that recommendation Hilbert?
    Someone claims they ran into issues with a good quality 850W PSU, maybe I got it wrong but the 3090 seems to draw beyond 400W when it get's pushed into 8K territory.

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Completely agree with you. Power draw is important to me from that sense only. But there are many who only see power draw in terms of electric bills and may lose sight of the other factors. If/when I get a 3080 (never 3090), first thing I will do is undervolt it to reduce power draw/heat (which some have successfully done and shaving off 100w in the process). ;)

14. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1080ti
    some rteviews mention 440watts this with an overclocked 9900k pushing into the 220watts a 10900k logically more doesn't leave much for everything else
    not even talking about threadripper as they easily reach 280watts (280w tdp which for once is reality unless your underclock them)

sorry Hilbert but that's really bad copy-pasted advice, dangerous advice
    as I post everywhere if your system suddenly asks more power than your PSU can do when it's already at 100% it may blow up, mine sure did when I tried 4k on a SLI setup BANG smoke the lot
    the motherboard had several ports burned and my main gpu also started showing visual glitches
    both the PSU which 12v rail(s) was now doing 8.5v and a GTX 980 went to the trash bin a very expensive mistake to make skipping 100-200$ on a PSU when you have several thousands worth of components depending on it

15. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti MSI
    Well, since AMD is already bragging that their launch will not be a paper launch, I am waiting and if RX6000 performance is in the same range with RTX 3080 and more VRAM I am sold.
    No point in trying to buy a 3000 series nvidia card now, a month from now till the end of this year...I think that availability will be fixed next year...
    Anyway it is almost a month and we will see big navi in action and then I will decide.
    3090? - I don't feel that it is worth it from many points of view.
    Also NVIDIA has some bad luck to launch these power hungry cards right now when it is a crisis on the power supply market and this, of course, generated an price increase for high output power supplies.

3090 is out of stock everywhere or at prices over 2500 USD - so much more than MSRP...
    3080 is out of stock or at prices close to 3090 MSRP...
    Crazy...

16. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Game nexus did it. Want to play at 15-25fps? Some games don't even support that resolution hence the higher than normal fps.

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Steve from HU said Control runs like 5fps without dlss.

Fediuld likes this.
  18. Meathead01

Meathead01 New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080
    What's the point of buying the card then if you are only going to undervolt it? That's like buying a car with a turbo but limiting the boost even though it can do more. Just sounds like a waste of money too me.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Because half the time you can undervolt it and maintain the same clockspeeds. So it would be more like buying a car with a turbo then tweaking in some way that it gives you 15 more miles per gallon but doesn't effect performance at all.

DannyD and Solfaur like this.
  20. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I'm still running a Radeon Fury at -50% power, same perf, <200 W power draw.

Maddness likes this.