Review: GeForce RTX 3080 Ti founder edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 2, 2021.

1. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 DCmini
    Was browsing used cards... there are whole rigs for sale, big ones and many of them, that was not the case be4. They accept crypto as payment.
    What surprised me more was this guy.... so he sell 100s of new cards. This guy has a company, sits in his freakin office and resells these cards and he is rich as frick. Well... I feel stupid. I should have been him, well played. Here is his current offer... but I kind of think I cant link it? Lets try, if it does not work, I will make screenshot.
    https://bit.ly/3ndNYU9 (this will take you to the google docs excel table with the cards and prices he is offering)

well, I will puke

these resellers stepped up big time, ofc, they are rich businessmen one year later!!!

So they sell you ready to use new rigs for 30k USD no problem, legally, just go to their office, you can even deduct your taxes! These ppl now supply even the e-shops. Wake me up pls!!!!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    CrazY_Milojko and Solfaur like this.
  2. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    @Mineria
    lol, its irrelevant.
    what is long term for one, is short term for another person.

my problem is that ppl want to buy a certain model for what they paid before, rather than matching the product to their wallet (talking about MSRP +/- xx%),
    which no one does for anything else, no matter if its something big (cost wise) like a house/ car, or things like vacation or food.
    but of course for pc hw, we should be given stuff for free...

3. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT 16GB
    There were HD 5870 that had 6 mini display ports back in the day for eyefinity setups, and 2GB vram.

Best damn comment, period. Exactly what I was thinking. Worse then their Titan card BS.

Undying likes this.
  4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Sorry but you're completely wrong .
    GTX 1080 -> 1080 Ti was like 25% higher performance for a few hundred bucks.
    GTX 2080 -> 2080 Ti was like 20% higher performance for more than a few hundred bucks.

GTX 3080-> 3080 Ti is 7% higher performance for $500.....

Airbud, carnivore and Undying like this.

5. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus

itpro likes this.
  6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
  7. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    If you got a problem with people stating that you pay more for less, that is your problem, since it is true.
    Anyway, some can just dream of even getting one of the new cards at MSRP.
    Personally I don't need to care since my 2080 Super should be able to last some time.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  8. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    What are you talking about? The problem these past 8 months hasn't been a lack of nVidia GPUs, it's been an insanely high demand for them. Their 4th quarter revenue was up from $3.1 billion to $5 billion. over the same quarter in 2019. The revenue for the entire 2020 was $16.68 billion, up 53% from 2019. nVidia's gaming cards alone brought in $7.76 billion, up 67% from 2019.
    Automotive and pro graphics were both down in 2020, compared to 2019 revenue. Datacenter was up 124% over 2019.

You don't pull those kinds of profits with crappy sales. The manager at my local Micro Center told me they get cards in all the time, but they sell out in seconds. He's never seen anything like it. I personally have been trying to obtain a 3080 since launch and no dice. With the price/performance of the 30xx cards, nVidia couldn't make enough cards to satisfy everyone.

My only complaint about this card is the price. IMO it should be priced around where the RTX3080 msrp is. Not $500 more.

9. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    is it me or are you all forgetting tariffs happened ?
    pre-tariffs/trade war prices like I said in a previous post, ceased to exist, you're talking about fantasy MSRP that aren't real anymore, without talking about scalping or covid everything is already +100-200$ because of that
    I didn't want to spend 160$ for a high-end keyboard it's now 270$ :confused: and no one is scalping it, they have hundreds to sell >< thats almost the price of a 12Tb HDD ><

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    tunejunky likes this.
  10. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Largest retailer in Russia received only 500 3080 Ti cards, hence the price is $3300. Same applies to all other GPUs, including AMD. It isn't about demand. It's about near zero supply.

And when last time Nvidia sold their FE cards? It was over half a year ago. Since then there was no supplies at all.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    tunejunky, carnivore and waltc3 like this.

11. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Yep, both nVidia and AMD seem dedicated to pushing vaporware at present. They keep on announcing the availability of products they cannot supply in any reasonable quantities. In decades of buying GPUs, even pre-3dfx/3d GPUs (like the Matrox Millennium), I've never seen this before--that's how bad it really is. Usually, vaporware is something that only happens very rarely and sporadically and only affects a single product (or software program) that is pre-announced but never makes the cut to shipping availability. But this...this is actually announcing global availability for a continuing stream of products that simply aren't available globally at all!

It's the strangest thing imaginable, and as it concerns two distinct FABs and two distinct companies, it is certainly a production problem of large proportions. Some people want to provide excuses/apologies like miners buying them all up--but the problem is showing where the miners are supposedly buying all of these GPUs. It's not as if I can find them available anywhere. Some people claim the miners are buying them--please tell me where!

Robbo9999 and carnivore like this.
  12. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2060
  13. Airbud

Airbud Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 1060 XLR8
    they never left China.

tunejunky likes this.
  14. Tom Sunday

Tom Sunday Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 790i Ultra
    Looks like the RTX 3080 TI is a hot debated item and languishing here with more than a hundred comments. This card really shouldn't exist and if so should come with 16GB of memory, as a mere present 12GB will not assure future proofing. Some already existing and surely soon upcoming AAA gaming titles will eat 12GB for lunch. Besides 36"-38" wide monitors with big refreshes are becoming the gaming norm and demanding extra or additional GPU attention as well. The other bad news is that once there is plenty of GPU stock on hand (Best Buy, BH, etc) that what we know now about MSRP will be by far surpassed. When the dust settles I will most likely buy a "3090" for a few hundred $$$ more and be done with it. But this I think is what NVIDIA wanted me to do in the first place with their never-ending marketing schemes and now the 3080 TI shenanigans.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You can't get 16GB out of a 384bit interface that can do 12 (or 24) 1GB modules.

tunejunky likes this.

16. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 RTX 2070

i didn't write this in a vacuum.
    Nvidia knew (and knows) full well the impact of crypto from the Turing series and that Ethereum 2.0 (specs were in tech circles before release of Ampere) would accelerate demand.
    what i'm on about is very simple, there was limited capacity of Samsung's 8nm foundry (from 5g modems) and Nvidia didn't place a large enough order for Samsung to change its mind from offering "free" 5g phones in the US for all of 2020.
    Nvidia knew the demand from crypto because they directly collude with large crypto firms. they knew of Ethereum 2.0's demands likewise.
    what they did was completely underestimate the consumer market and the sensitivities of gamers.
    if Nvidia doubled its initial order from the foundry, Samsung would've fulfilled that before spending hundreds of millions on a marketing (5g) plan.

if you looked at AMD, they were in a similar (but lesser) position. they had to compete for foundry queues with Apple (A14) and Qualcomm (Snapdragon 865) along with themselves - cpu's vs. gpus. if there was space in the queues AMD would've grabbed it with both hands.

carnivore and alanm like this.
  17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This is malicious hearsay.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    In my eye so is the pricing on these cards.

My 1070ti will die before pay or even think about pay kind prices we seeing for gpu's now

Robbo9999, carnivore and tunejunky like this.
  19. Stephane45

Stephane45 New Member

GPU:
    Exactly. At almost half the price and for virtually the same performance, the 3080 utterly destroys any argument, for, the pathetic 3080Ti. What's just as shocking and extremely revealing is seeing certain reviewers failing to even mention the 3080 and instead - as clearly directed by their Nvidia paymasters - focus exclusively on the 3090 or 2080Ti as the primary and sole comparison items. Nvidia clearly wants you to forget the 3080 and it's pricing (thanks to AMD) ever existed.

A line is crossed and significant opinions solidified when reviewers deliberately, and very publicly, seek to misdirect and misinform their viewers/readership for the sake of a bribe.

Tom Sunday likes this.
  20. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 RTX 2070
    not hearsay at all when Nvidia posts earnings calls referencing crypto sales and demands and gets the price of their stock boosted from doing so.
    i'm not hating on them, i'm calling it like it is.