Review: GeForce RTX 3080 Ti founder edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the 3070 FE is 1x 8pin, its just adapted to 12pin on the card XD

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    basicly still 2x8 suddenly 30xx series atlest the ones I would buy dont look so good if if cant be feed by 1x8 i dont want it that alot more watt being used creating more heat i dont want. 3060gtx is it, i not sure i want to go back xx60 series.

I think the 1070ti have use to much power for my taste but even 3060gtx use about the same and 3060ti is equal.

All of sudden CPU use more wattage so now do gpu, + there prices :(

Maybe 4xxx series will reduce power consumption again... but i bet that is a fat chance less we get architectures that more efficient

Still want to see reviews on 3070ti.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    3080ti.png

Except for the few that may have survived the stampede getting in line at a Microcenter to get a 3080 Ti at or near MSRP, I doubt any cards will be found for under $2k any time soon. If current 3080 prices above are any indication, expect Ti prices in the wild to be just as silly.

4. tty8k

tty8k Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 5850
    3070Ti should be a fair product.
    10-15% faster than regular 3070 while msrp matches that.

Maybe in another dimension we'll be able to buy them, some time soon.

5. mackintosh

mackintosh Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080Ti
    True, but on the other hand, the 3070/Ti are basically a slightly beefier 2080Ti just at a more reasonable price. Technically it's a card that's been available for nearly 3 years now, and could have easily been bought second hand for less than a new 3070 before the mining surge.

Legacy-ZA likes this.
  6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    upload_2021-6-4_19-3-43.png

And now the 3080s:

upload_2021-6-4_19-6-25.png

jbscotchman, Undying and jura11 like this.
  7. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Undying likes this.
  8. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    My guess is that the store you've link-ed above has calculated prices this way: "...hmm... for a start let's put the same price tag both for 3080 and 3080Ti, if some uninformed crypto miner asks why just told him 3080 has a higher hash rate than LHT 3080Ti... but if a gamer asks why these are in the same rice range when 3080Ti is a bit faster just tell him we're "discounting" these so that gamers have a chance to buy it... When miners buy these 3080 leftovers we're gonna just up the price for 3080Ti and call it a day...".

fantaskarsef and jura11 like this.
  9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Honestly, 2K for a GPU is too much for me. Sorry but won't be buying a card this year. Which means I can skip another year without new hardware.
    F this. F this so hard. I'm really pissed.

10. mackintosh

mackintosh Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080Ti
    That's pretty good price tbh, most of the local stores I've checked have it priced around €3000.

Solfaur and Undying like this.

11. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    That's really nice, guess you did it because friend knows to appreciate what you did for him. Thumbs up man!

Here and there I have spare GPU for giveaway and mostly they ends up in some gaming PC for kids of our friends or closest family who can't afford one. Now my stack of spare GPU has dried up, best one I have atm is Radeon HD 5770 pulled iirc from some Alienware PC and it has some loooong handle/backplate so it couldn't fit into any normal old style midi tower case that has a HDD cage on the front, gonna keep it for diagnostics if anything happens to any of our GPUs at home, knock on wood 5770 would never be used fir that. Between 5770 and my 970, few 1070 for boys and 1050Ti for daugther there is nothing left, zero GPUs, all gone for giveaways. Those GPUS older/weaker than 5770 in my collection I'm almost sure not a single kid would want in his PC because those barely can run Minecraft on low... and tbh I'd like to keep those is working condition for my collection.

I'm 100% possitive ANYONE here not knowing you in personal, given this situation with crazy inflated GPU prices, would do the same as that guy. £400 for a 1080Ti with EKWB watrblock... it's a steal! Here where I am used 1070s are seling for the same price. Guy probably pissed his pants out of the happiness on the way home :D

12. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Somehow I want to believe you, but... but sorry, I just can't. Dare you to say the same in front of your wife! :p

Even if I have €2000 to spend right now (putting everything I can on the pile for summer vacation) if I dare to say the same in front of my lady I'm sure next day she would apply for weapon licence :D

Airbud, Legacy-ZA and carnivore like this.
  13. mackintosh

mackintosh Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080Ti
    Oh it's an objectively insane price, but relatively speaking, it's still a pretty good price compared to some other retailers.

Solfaur likes this.
  14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Its quite something spending near £2K on a 3090 and feeling I got a good deal!
    I had no intention of spending even 1/2 that on my next GPU but an alternate reality landed and couldnt buy them for any money last November, after being in a 3080 queue for 2.5 months with no idea what was happening.
    There simply was no stock of anything ever so when I saw some 3090s in stock, that wasnt a hard decision, it was mine! Wow was that lucky!
    That was just the time when everyone who wanted a 3080 realised it wasnt going to happen and 3090s became just as scarce.
    The cheapest price I saw for my card was only £100 less than I paid, I feel lucky all round.
    Fortunately its as awesome as hoped.

Good luck getting a x80/90 card, I feel for you.

15. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I hear ya. Its really ****** up that you can't even buy a mid or even entry level card right now without paying 3-4x the MSRP. Seriously, are these companies trying to kill PC gaming?

Airbud, CrazY_Milojko and Legacy-ZA like this.

16. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    And here we are at it again, comparing a long term investment with something short term.
    Get a grip ffs

We talk consumer cards aimed towards gaming.
    Look at the lifespan of a console and then tell me, how many times do you need to switch graphics card to be within minimum specs to play the newest games while your still able to play them on the same console?
    How many times and over how many years can you upgrade to the newest console in comparison to GPU's?
    PC gaming always came at a higher price, most can live with that, but what happens atm. is none then less disgusting, even Nvidia as AMD's taking advantage and MRSP up-pricing cards with minimal performance gains to previous generation.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    CrazY_Milojko likes this.
  17. brogadget

brogadget Active Member

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    Okay, we don´t need any price discussions anymore during these odd days. But, imho, if someone has the money to buy a 3080 TI why bother with it and not buy a 3090 straight away instead, for "only" $300 more? Or maybe nvidia wants to suck out really every single chip out of production to increase the number of units. Maybe for a hard core gamer only, but overall this card makes no sense to me.

btw: thanks a lot for the review, but is there a special reason, why not testing FS2020 performance or would it be just tooo extensive? Probably there would be not much of a difference between the top tier cards in FS, anyway.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  18. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    It's a nice combination between krypto mining (ETH especially I guess) and the global pandemic shortages. Both of these situations will change eventually (one more likely, the other less likely).
    But that doesn't change releasing the card at a price level that's not really fitting it's performance (compared to a 3080MSRP the TI and the 3090 are a joke), and that obviously Nvidia does what's best for business (in that regard, perfectly capitalist economics).

Still doesn't mean customers don't have the right to be upset about it. Which I am. And I'm also not paying 1300€ + for a 6800XT, or 1700€ + for a 6900XT.
    Even if it's an unpopular opinion, AMD does nothing for gamers either these days.

CrazY_Milojko, Solfaur and carnivore like this.
  19. mackintosh

mackintosh Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080Ti
    They don't care. Their raison d'être is to make money. If and when the crypto boom ends, they will adjust accordingly. For now the money printer goes brrrr. Besides, the way they're looking at it, those cards are paying for themselves, and if you're not mining with them, well that's hardly their problem.

20. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    100% agree, which is what I said: businesses are doing business things.
    Still doesn't have to mean we have to like it.