REVIEW: GeForce RTX 2060 ( NVIDIA Founders)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    2060 couldn't have 8GB because it has 192bit. I call this a 1080P/60FPS/Max settings card for now. 6GB is more than enough for 1080P.

2. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Master Guru

GPU:
    x
    the RX 580 is not the card that's going to compete with RTX. AMD will announce new GPU hardware that will be better than RTX in terms of value(perf/dollar) according to leaks

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    For me it is good 1080p card. It is OK for 1440p for most.
    I like my high fps. And here comes big difference for each user.Like using "Max settings" ... RTX 2060 will not do 60fps in nVidia's new raytraced paradigm. Therefore in your world, it would not be 1080p/60fps/Max settings card.

For me, I like my high fps. There are many good looking games which can do 120/240 fps. Therefore I am more looking at IQ vs fps.
    In Vermintide 2 I can have 60+ fps at all times or I can sacrifice few visually minor things and get 90+ fps.

In many games max texture settings is useless on 1080p. Lighting quality, number of lights casting shadows are in similar situation.

4. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    AdoredTV BS..

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    I don't care for Adored but it doesn't really take a Scotsman to conclude that AMD will offer better value. I like the RTX hardware but it's no secret that they are terribly overpriced.

That being said I think Nvidia has massive flexibility in the pricing.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I just wanted to say that you have to remember the mid range has been about 200-300 hundred and that is what a console costs the performance of any discrete vga will have to be not only better but it has to offer something/s you cant get on a console.
    if you want to game and cant spend over 250 get a console,hate to say it.
    I highly dought amd will do that on the other hand if the consoles get any better in near future it will be crazy bird and digdug type games for pc:D

Fox2232 likes this.
  7. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    So, you guys bashing rtx series pricing, you are those who also believe that ps5 will offer much better performance than 2060? Go get a drink and buy a cheap console in 2020. Nuff said.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Considering the Xbox One X already has 6Tflops of performance and presumably the PS5 will be better and work completely out of the box - yes? lol

9. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Next-gen will have 1080Ti/RTX2080 level GPU.

10. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    Better performance? no. Better performance by $ spent? Yes 100% no doubt about it. This card alone cost near as much as a console and is not really good enough to handle 2k at 144Hz or 4k at 60Hz for the next 2 years. Not that i care too much about fps but i just bought a 2k 144Hz monitor (bought it for work mainly had a good deal this Christmas) and well if i'm gonna game at 60 fps on it because cards able to fully exploit it cost over 800$ CAD then i might as well just buy a ps5 and play games on my big TV. Honestly if there's not one card able to handle 2k at 144Hz for around 500-600$ CAD by the time the PS5 is released i might actually buy the PS5 and put PC gaming aide until nVidia and AMD wake up and realize asking 1 grand for a ***** GPU is ridiculous.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019

11. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    I think you are expecting too much of future consoles... I lean towards something like the 1060/1070 power levels.

12. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Master Guru

GPU:
    x
    It has nothing to do with one leak or another. we know AMD has 7nm GPUs sampled. they will not let Nvidia play alone.
    While Nvidia spend a lot of effort for RTX which gives 0 benefit for users now. AMD can focus solely on performance and pricing.

13. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Master Guru

GPU:
    x
    the XBOX one X has a GPU very close to RX 480[which is basically 1060 level]
    the next gen consoles are targeting native 4K, consoles do offer better optimization but still. 1060? not a chance.

14. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Xbox One X - 6 TFLOPs
    GTX1070 - 6.5 TFLOPs

You expect the next Xbox to have only 500 GFLOPs more power ? It will be close to 10 TFLOPs, same goes for PS5..

Robbo9999 likes this.
  15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    I doubt it. Much of the cost is going into upgrading the processor which most devs say is the largest bottleneck. I think the GPU will see a slight bump but I don't think it will be anywhere near 10tflops.

16. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    Great argument. I'm starting to think the same direction even though I aready bought into the RTX hype (fortunately it was by way of EVGA step-up).

You can see some of the PS4 Pro guys on YouTube playing BF V with graphics that look really good even compared to the competitive PC players with their "try hard" settings. You can always tell the XBOX One X guys by the lack of contrast in the darker areas of the screen making things harder to see in the shadows. I've noticed this difference between XBOX and PS since the PS3/Xbox 360 days (of which I owned both). I noticed this dark cast on the XBOX One. The XBOX One X graphics are just not as good as PS4 Pro graphics even given the XBOX One X has more processing power.

Do the console graphics compare to the PC? They are starting to in resolution and detail. The things that make ultra, ultra on PC are becoming smaller details. Framerates on PC though.... Consoles can't touch them.

The PS 4 Pro graphics are already pretty good. They're not like a PC on ultra, but they are good for competitive play. But playing with a controller...

17. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Wholesale price? In retail Vega 64 is more expensive than RTX 2070.

18. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    I think that comparing Tflops power is too simplistic. Also, AMD GPUs normally have higher Tflops power than Nvidia GPUs and that doesn´t translate to an higher gaming performance in real scenarios. And current consoles use low power CPU cores, if the next consoles move to Ryzen cores, then there´s the possibility that the power budget for the GPU is going to be smaller even with the offset of the 7nm process.
    But i could be wrong and you could be right, we´ll just have to wait to know for sure.

19. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    I think there's more to this than just an unexpected bump in performance and price.

Huang has effectively created a new tier within the upper performance category, which not only dealigns the company's most popular products from the mid range, but also cements its exclusive image in the high performance category.

Undying likes this.
  20. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    quadro K6000+Tesla M2090
    just a wikipedia remind:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLOPS

Also a PC graphic card is hard to compare with a PS4 (pro) or a XBox One (X) wich are complete system, it would be like comparing a wheel with a complete car.

Killian38 likes this.