1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REVIEW: GeForce RTX 2060 ( NVIDIA Founders)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 7, 2019.

1. GlennB

GlennB Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    The only new thing is DLSS . Raytracing can be done on every other GPU with some extra loss of performance on GPU's that have weak computing power. NVIDIA is pushing something that clearly is not ready yet (raytracing) pushing up the price just because they can. All these extra's will just raise the price of a product without a big demand and support for said features.

The problem is that the price is too high for a mid range card which should be around the 250 $ mark. Much of the performance is covered by the higher price keeping the price/performance equal with the previous generation cards.

2. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    Pretty much this. I upgrade my GPU often and i pretty much always buy a nVidia x70 six months to a year after the release date (usually around thanksgiving or Christmas).

Here's a comparison of the price i paid over the years :

(cheapest RTX 2070 i could buy right now in canada) EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Black GAMING : 679.99$ CAD (1 CAD = 0.75 USD)
    ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX : 569.99$ CAD (beginning 2017 | 1CAD = .74 USD)
    GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 970 G1 : 429.99$ CAD (end of 2014 | 1 CAD = 0.86 USD)

Sadly i can't find the price i paid for the 670 and 770 because i bought them on NCIX. So in the span of only 4 years we went, for a x70 card, from 430$ CAD to 680$ CAD so an increase of 250$ CAD which represent almost 60% of the cost of a x70 card back in 2014. That's crazy. Part of this is because the CAD is worth less but that's just a part of it. If you consider the CAD as constant over the years at 0.75 USD it's still a 36% increase in price from 2014 to 2018. That's crazy. And this is not even considering the fact the 970 and 1070 i bought back then were not the cheapest card while the EVGA is the cheapest 2070 with a custom cooler i could find online (stores i trust in the province of Quebec). To compare apples with apples the 2070 Strix is 809.99 CAD right now.

For me it's a mystery that some people defend this price increase. Most reviewers don't even dare to talk about it. Crazy.

carnivore, HandR and Robbo9999 like this.
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    Have not cards provided significantly better features, image quality since DX7?
    I mean, DX 8.0 introduced shaders - huge game changer in achievable IQ. 8.1 improve on it a lot again.
    DX 9.0 a/b/c moved a that bar a lot.
    DX10 with unlimited shader length, new improved transparency and unified shader model. (No more PS and VS.)
    DX11 Compute Shaders, Tessellation
    And then DX12 with all those feature level revisions passed down to DX11

And on top of that In DX7 times you had GPU with 32/64MB of VRAM, over years that was quite often being increased by higher factor than 2. And that was used to improve texture IQ and other details like adding multiple buffers for shadows, lighting, relfections, ...
    And GPUs improved drastically to actually handle several magnitudes more data per second.
    This aspect did not change much in last years at all, I mean there were HD 7970 with 6GB of VRAM. r9-290 with 8GB of VRAM.

In last 3 years, you was getting those improved features, but GPUs themselves did not really improve on number of architectural blocks (increasing brute force).
    Did you know that Maxwell GTX 980Ti has 50% more ROPs than RTX 2080? 2080 compensates it with 70% higher clock. Number of TMUs on RTX 2080 is just 4.5% Higher than 980Ti has. And rest of improvement simply comes from clock.
    nVidia did not really design better GPU, they reaped clock improvements.

So no ,those features are poop in comparison to delivering 32x AF. We sit on 16xAF for so long that 1080p resolution no longer sees texture IQ improvements as you increase texture details. Yet texture details delivered have much to ask from.
    If you render image on 1440p or 4K and downsample it to 1080p, you are getting that texture IQ what 32xAF would give. But 32xAF in HW would cost you only 5~8% of fps (if even that) while downsampling from 1440p/4K costs you around 25/60% of fps.

You may not realize it as much, but amount of new features and their actual impact on IQ is almost nothing in comparison to previous generations. Those GPUs delivering DX8/8.1 did really huge improvements on IQ and amount of performance they added!!!
    Why? Look at resolutions people played games. What were resolutions used in times of last DX7 GPUs like GF4 MX (rebrand)? 800x600 and 1024x768. Yet right after you got GF 4 Ti and Radeon 9x00, those were good 1280x1024 cards.

So no, having practically same performance per $ as last generation and just bringing few new features does not cut it. Especially since RTX 20x0 generation comes 2,5 years after GTX 10x0.
    People simply expect more as they should.

Only real improvement RTX cards have is FP16 performance.

Backstabak, carnivore, Goiur and 3 others like this.
  4. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X GAMING
    @Fox2232 I agree, but there is absolutely nothing we can do. Let's don't criticize the situation so harshly. Because of RTX, we have put Ray Tracing for real in our screen sooner than expected for the masses. Nobody forced us to buy them. There were always used GTX 10 series and older AMD RX series.

We can easily skip them as they are 2018's GPUs and look forward to 2019 and 2020. It's not like we don't have enough power to enjoy.

PS. Don't forget Metro Exodus is inbound. The truth about proper RTX lies there. If it is really good, even an RTX 2060 user will enjoy the game much better than a 1080ti/vega64 user with much less money. Patience is recommended for the time being. We all should just sit and watch carefully. :)

Fox2232 likes this.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    Sure, that's correct. But I see too many similarities with HD 6930/50/70. Those cards lost in performance per $ for all existing content and had just promise for future DX implementation (and improved performance there). Before that came true, HD 7970 was around.

And here you have it. RT cores ... big part of transistor count increase which does nothing at all for all current games. But supposedly improves on DX-R performance above what SMs do themselves.
    Let's say that presence of RT cores does really improve raytracing performance by 25%. Which can be approximated from (no RT) Titan V's SM count and clock vs. RTX 2080 Ti .
    But would not it been better to have 10% more TMU/ROPs/SMs to deliver 10% higher performance per $ to all existing games than RTX cards do now?
    It would still increase raytracing performance by those 10%. But that would be 12% lower performance that presence of RT cores allows.

For now those other features RTX cards have are just promises. And one has to experience that patience you wrote about. But by time your game library shifts in way that you play reasonable number of games benefiting from those features, we will have 2nd generation of RTX cards.

At this moment I use RX-580. It's pretty cheap now. And in case RTX 2050 had same performance per $ (and total performance), it would do practically nothing for me.
    Because those 300 games I have will not benefit from single of those new features.

It is nice promise for future. So in year or two, people should consider it as good. But for all those existing games, RTX performance per $ is not exactly better than any older gaming GPU anyone has. And while HD 69X0 was quickly forgotten, this RTX generation may be remembered for its price bump for long time.

6. pharma

pharma Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Great review! Can you confirm if you only had one day for testing the RTX 2060? Did Nvidia give sufficient lead time for tests to be completed?

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Where did that come from?, the board arrived over a week prior to article release.

pharma, warlord and fantaskarsef like this.
  8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    A wild guess: some reviewers salty comment or any rumor spread on youtube or some other tech site. :D

9. ScreamerRSA

ScreamerRSA Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X
    It seems HardwareUnboxed where not sent a review card because they are one of the few who where critical of nVidia's RTX launch/cards. Compared to JayZTwoCents, (who usually can't even talk due having Jensen's balls in his mouth) who got 2 Titan RTX's for free.

carnivore and norton like this.
  10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Well, I guess I was not totally off then. ;)

11. nizzen

nizzen Master Guru

GPU:
    2x1080ti /1080/1060
    If you don't like it, don't buy it.

It's that easy ;)

warlord and fantaskarsef like this.
  12. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Member Guru

GPU:
    Intel UHD 630
    This is exactly what I'm pushing for... this guy just blindly defending RTX.

13. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X GAMING
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  14. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Gaming X
    RX590 costs ~300 euros and it's ~35% slower than the RTX2060 that costs 369 euros(NVIDIA German shop). Blame AMD for releasing the same card(RX480, RX580, RX590) for 2 years now..RTX2060 is V64 performance level according to techpowerup's performance summary(Yeah uv + oc is another story) and it consumes way lower power while it costs less too.

This is the ''New GTX970'' without the VRAM fiasco ;)

warlord likes this.
  15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    I agree. This is a very nice card in the RTX lineup. Sudden and unexpected.

Btw, dont you see that all performance per dollar charts are dominated by rx570/580 so stop bashing on those cards. Not even you are playing low settings with that 390x.

warlord likes this.

16. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X GAMING
    Perhaps I am Bottlenecked by cpu, but some games I don't see fluidity either in low or medium. Sure I can Play many games very high and ultra but with under 25 fps. That's awful. Not even consoles compromising 30 fps.

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070 AMP!
    RX 570/580 are kings of the hill in perf/$ but look at the performance spread between them and the 2060, its in another league entirely.

On par with vega 64 at almost half the wattage. Yes this the ''New GTX970'' without the VRAM fiasco.... but as far as fiascos go, its still not out of the woods yet. Lets hope we dont see any "Limited test escapes from early boards..." QA issues that some other RTX cards went through.

warlord likes this.
  18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Idk, i would be uncomfortable going with 6Gb vram in 2019-2020. Card should've had 8GB. So fiasco is still there. :p

You know how AMD cards work with slow cpu, awful indeed. To be honest that Athlon X4 is garbage man.

19. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Gaming X
    Why ? This is a mid-range card which means that it's not meant for ultra settings..It will be perfectly fine for 1080P/High settings.

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Card is more capable than that. I heard from more than one reviewer that 2060 is more 1440p card than 1080p. Having a 6GB vram limits that tho, thats why 2070 is there.