Review: GeForce RTX 2060 and 2070 SUPER Founders edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 ti @ 2100 mhz
    By that logic the super cards are just precisly refreshes, as the chips are identical... just a new revision with more of the passive clusters activated.

2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    And the difference between a 980 ti and a titan X (Maxwel) is? the difference between a 1080 ti and a titan X (pascal) is?

No matter which way you try and turn this and create an argument for literally no reason, your point won't be made. Since no matter which way you try and claim it's not a refresh, it will be flipped on you with historical information.

So instead of trying to create an argument for literally zero reasons, you move along.

3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 ti @ 2100 mhz
    The examples you used before were 980 vs 980 ti and 1080 vs 1080 ti... these gpu's does in no way use the same chips. The ti models use considerably larger chips, meaning that they can in no way be considered a refresh.

The titans have always just been the same chip used by the TI model, just with an additional cluster activated, as a way for nvidia to justify their greed.

signex likes this.
  4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Again, no matter what you state, historical information will continue to state you are wrong. For instance the 780 and 780 ti are all the same chip, along with the titans.

And it doesn't matter if they use the same exact chip, because they are in the same architecture, hence refresh, they weren't released with the original released cards, and instead released at a later date to either take over price points, move them around, or create new ones. They are refreshed cards. They are the same generation, same architecture, release in refreshed packages.

If you ONLY want to consider Titan to Ti refreshes, which the 1080 ti is not a "refresh" to a "specific" card but rather a refresh with to bring life back into the 10 series GPUs and sales, AKA, REFRESH, but if you only want to consider a specific GPU die as being a refresh, which is just wrong, then the refreshes get even quicker.

The way i stated it:

GTX 1080 to 1080 ti = 9 months 11 days
    GTX 980 to 980 ti = 8 months 15 days.

The way you apparently want to state it:

GTX Titan X(P) to 1080 ti = 7 months 8 days
    GTX Titan X(M) to 980 ti = 2 months 16 days

But this information doesn't really state anything about the REFRESH as it's only the restructure of an individual die. What you're describing is more like a reconfigured die rather then refreshed series. Something that happens quite frequently, as can be seen in such GPUs such as the 1060 3GB and 6GB, which not only have differences in the memory, but also amount of cores, all while using the same die.

In fact you could say the GTX 10 series had at least 2 refreshes

2016 - Titan X, 1080, 1070, 1060, 1050
    2017 refresh - Titan XP, 1080 ti, 1070 ti, 1060 5GB, 1030
    2018 refresh - 1060 6GB GDDR5x, 1050 3GB, 1030 DDR4

Why? Because, again, the refresh of graphics cards are to create "new" graphics cards at different prices to create life, sales and new reviews. Refreshes aren't always that great, in the stance of the 1050 3GB and 1030 DDR4....as from the reviews i've seen they are quite a bit more horrible then the original SKUs.

So again what YOU'RE talking about is when they have the same die and re-purposing it into a different GPU. But that's not a refresh, it COULD be what they use as a refresh, but it, by definition, isn't a refresh. By definition, if that's a refresh, then a 1060 3GB is a refresh of the 1060 6GB, they both have the same die, are a refresh of eachother? Even though 1 month was passed between the two and the 3GB was planned? That doesn't make any sense, there's no refresh there, just a reconfiguration of the same die.

And lastly, but by far not least, again why are you deciding to create an argument for literally no reason? Nothing about what you stated originally or afterwards has stated anything about why this current refresh is, or isn't, quicker then before, historically.

So just be on your way, and stop trying to cause arguments where there isn't one to be had.

5. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    You need to slow down bro!....His point is just as legitimate as yours...take your meds.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    There are a lot of users on here I feel need meds. Sheesh!

fry178 and airbud7 like this.
  7. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    certain members here try and diagnose every single word you said yet only quote something that they can disagree with.....arrogant.

Not good for a new member to experience....always try and be helpful and nice.

8. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    @angelgraves13
    glad that the planet wide sales dont care if you think dlss is or isn't dead.
    you how many said that about gsync, which required more expensive monis (and add-on board) to work?

@ all
    i dont agree with aura often, but he is right about products/pricing etc.
    buy or dont buy, and with large enough numbers it will have an impact.
    (amd - intel anyone?)

that said, with the Nv 5xx series, i stopped being the "i-always-buy-the-2nd-biggest-chip" moron,
    and decided to buy a card that fits my perf needs, and if my budget allows something better, so be it.
    i had planned to swap my 1080 for a friends ti, as i saw the bigger vram (vs perf increase of the 20xx chips) more important for "ultra" settings/4K res.
    but still havent gotten a 4K screen yet and i'm able to sell my card for a decent price right now, and decided i rather get a LC 20xx card (so i can drop case fans below audible).

seeing i can get a gpu that is level/faster than a 1080ti while costing way less (for air cooled),
    the 20(60)/70S are great performers for the price.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    pharma and gx-x like this.
  9. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I’m still looking forward to the 64X version of DLSS, referred to as DLSS 2X. I just don’t care for rendering anything at less than native resolution. It should always be the opposite for quality.

10. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    Hum same chip just renamed is mostly what i would call a rebrand. I would expect a "refresh" to add to the same chip. Here's the definition of the word refresh :

re·fresh
    verb
    give new strength or energy to; reinvigorate.

You don't refresh a web page expecting the same result. You refresh it to have an updated version of it. You don't refresh your closet and put the same clothes in it and call it a day. It would be called a clean up.

I would expect a refresh to be the same chip with higher clock and/or unlocked shaders (and maybe more ram).

fry178 likes this.

11. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    @angelgraves13
    i see it the same way (regarding IQ), but that doesnt mean thats the case for everyone on this planet.
    same reason ppl are driving +2M $ bugattis, while (most) others will drive a car for 100 times less, but that doesnt mean we shouldn't have them, or that no one will buy stuff "not really needed".

12. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 ti @ 2100 mhz
    You can argue semantics all you want.

Fact of the matter is that a refresh with higher clocks, but otherwise identical chip, or a "rebrand" with identical clocks is the same thing... they will both clock to exactly the same point in msi afterburner, making any pre OC clock differences mean absolute jack sh1t.

680 that got refreshed/rebranded to 770 is a perfect example of this.

13. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    Just higher clock is debatable. But Super is more than just that. It's still not a new lineup of cards though. But whatever ... Let's just agree to disagree and move on.