Review: GeForce RTX 2060 and 2070 SUPER Founders edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 2, 2019.

1. H1TMANza

H1TMANza Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    I hope the 3080 ti card is GTX and not RTX , at least 1 card normal . I honestly don't care about RTX for at least 2 more years till it matures .

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    except it hasn't been a failure to anyone for whom is relevant to the subject of discussion regarding RT.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    So, who was it claiming that AMD is rebranding and using old chips in GPUs with judgement method:
    - No particular GPU checked.
    - Just GCN 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 present in product naming scheme of 3X0

Then by your current and clearly contradicting logic, AMD could have taken Tahiti (clearly GCN 1.0) and 1st GCN GPU, and disable 2 additional CUs with each generation. And you would call it new. Because there was not GPU with 30 CUs enabled before. Then year later, you would call new GCN 1.0 GPU with 28CUs enable while it would still be same Tahiti chip that in full has 32 CUs. And so on, year by year.
    Hell, by your logic, AMD could have released Tahiti this year as entry level GPU with 31 CUs enabled and you would call it new.

That's clearly wrong. And I clearly shown you that new product does not necessarily equals to new GPU. What did happen to you that you thrown concept of binning out of window?

Oh wait, you did not! Bold part shows clearly that you understand concept of having same chip which is differently cut down. So, where is your issue? What does not work for you? Where comes that difference in your mind from? Why can you contradict yourself while believing that you are not contradicting yourself?

It is apparently not GPU or CPU. It is not fact that cutting does not make new GPU. So, where is that line for you? Is that anything else than AMD vs. nVidia?
    Because same chip, different cut does not make new product by your statement in AMD's camp. But apparently, it makes new on nVidia's side.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    If games support SLI... which is probably close to 0 or 1 with dx12 running.

Yeah some games do, like SoTR, but I guess that's the only one that does. Might be wrong, but I certainly don't buy another card to try it out for that kind of price :D

cowie and airbud7 like this.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I have eerie feeling that Super's prices won't be all that super as Nvidia has hoped for. Not for a while.
    Case in point: Retailers need to clear non-super stock YESTERDAY, yet 2070 and 2080 prices are holding steady.

6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    So, exactly 3 years later, I can get about a ~40% increase in performance for the same price. I guess I'm underwhelmed by this release. It is better priced than the original 20 series release but that wasn't a high bar to beat.

I still think the naming is getting convoluted. A xx60 series card, for countless generations, was the sweet spot for price/performance. Now it's a mid-high level card in pricing. I feel like all of these should move up a tier in naming but nvidia seems set on this new path.

I'll be waiting at least 1 more generation, probably 2. Though, when Cyberpunk murders my frame rate next year, I'll probably make a poor, hasty decision and buy a new GPU.

airbud7 and fantaskarsef like this.
  7. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    hehe I feel you on this one mate :D

SpajdrEX and airbud7 like this.
  8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

HA!

There is no evidence to back this statement, and plenty of evidence that its the total opposite.

9. Glottiz

Glottiz Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 1080Ti
    So this means 2080Ti SUPER is just around the corner. I knew it. So glad I waited out and didn't buy OG 2080Ti.

10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    And what tells you that?

airbud7 likes this.

11. Glottiz

Glottiz Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 1080Ti
    2060 SUPER, 2070 SUPER, 2080 SUPER..... continue this sequence.

12. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    Hilbert says on the 1st page that there isn't a Ti version coming.

HH: "No, there will not be a 2080 Ti S, just the 2060S, 2070S and 2080S."

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Everyone was excited for the technology, sure. Not so much for its first implementation on RTX cards, unless they were dumb. Most RTX sales have occurred after this BF V benchmark:

[​IMG]

Again, if anyone was excited for RT performance on the first gen RTX cards, then they were pretty dumb. Not to mention the lack of titles that would have it (before Ampere arrives). Any rational excitement may not even be for Ampere's RT potential, but for what follows it. High res gaming is what RTX buyers were more interested in at this stage, something they knew was not going to happen with "RT on" at any point within the lifespan of their cards.

14. Glottiz

Glottiz Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 1080Ti
    He's just saying what is officially announced by Nvidia right now. Means nothing at all, Nvidia can announce a new GPU whenever they want.

15. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    By your logic they'd also announce a 2090. :rolleyes:
    But hey, never say never. But I still doubt it.

Fox2232 and airbud7 like this.

16. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Wrong! Nvidia is going to release the 2080Ti Ultra because the "Super" designation is reserved for the "cheap/weak" cards...

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Ultramarine with 2080Ti Ultra as gun incoming.

18. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    The greed of this company is disgusting. This entire thing is the biggest slap to the face of the original RTX 2070 owners. I feel bad for the people who paid 600 US for a TU106 (a midrange GPU), and now Nvidia is going to offer the real RTX 2070, which is a "Super" version, with a TU104 in it for 500 US. The RTX 2070 should have had a TU104 to begin with. The price is still too damn expensive though. The RTX 2070 with a TU104 should only cost 400 US, and the RTX 2060 should be 279 US. Nvidia thinks that offering a 10-15 percent performance increase will convince more people to let themselves be ripped off. Not a smart move on their part. People are seeing right through the bullshit.

19. pharma

pharma Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Lol ... Trolls coming out of the forest!

20. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It's not the consumers place to determine what chip is used where and for what price.

If they don't like something, don't buy it, but to pretend to say what should be where and for what price when you aren't that company that has to make those decisions is nonsense.

I wish that nvidia would stop labeling their chips so this kind of nonsense would stop happening.

If this kind of nonsense applies to nvidia, then the same reverse nonsense can apply to AMD, where the RX 590 is a mid-range chip, yet holds the "90" naming. Why is a, use to be high end, naming, a mid-range chip? Seems like AMD is really screwing over their customers by telling people their customers that their mid-range chips are high end.

But i'm not going to say that, because it's not my place, nor is it anyones place for nvidia. What chips they make, what they decide to name them as, what version of the chip they use(TU104 for example), is up to both companies to decide, not the consumers. It's up to the consumers to buy, or not buy, and that is it.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    airbud7 and Fox2232 like this.