Review: Gears of War 4 DirectX12 PC graphics performance

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1
    200$ cpu matching a 1200$ in a DX12 game.

Intel must be crapping their pants at the mere thought that an old FX8xxx is giving their highest end chips a kick in the teeth.

Good i say, hate Intel anyway because they think they can get away with charging massive amounts for their cpus but now for gaming at least they won't be getting away with it anymore.

Can't wait for Zen 16 core at under 300$

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    I agree with your sentiment, but the game is GPU bottlenecked, which isn't new to DX12 - without an extensive list of CPU benchmarks in DX12 it's impossible to say it will help or not.

3. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1
    True about the bottleneck but it's over 60 fps @ 1080p which is what most gamers care about.

Not enthusiasts but just gamers in general. It's getting to a point now where Budget PC's are 500$ and still capable of 60 fps @ 1080p.

It's eventually going to kill off consoles as we've already heard Sony and MS say they won't be making any new consoles and this is why.

4. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Only one instance can be online, however you can play co-op over LAN with no trouble. Nice little perk IMO.

People drop the same on CoD games every year. I like the gameplay of GoW much more than I do CoD and the story is at least decent. I used to play invasion mode in UT2k4 back in the day and horde mode in GoW is a great successor to that.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016

5. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    Nice review, thanks HH!

Also, it's nice to see a DX12 game running well on cheaper hardware as well as seeming to be ported nicely in general. I don't have any interest whatsoever in the game to play it, but I tip my hat to the devs for doing a nice job with it. :cheers:

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    It took BO3 to come down to $15 just for me to get it lol.

7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Got the game at midnight, played it for an hour.

Logged into the MS Store a few moments ago and was presented with a 30+ GB patch...

Srlsy?

Still, I never played any of the previous versions and my copy was free with my new graphics card via a redemption code.

From what I have played, yeah, it runs very well, but the game is not really very good.

Chest-high wall, run, Chest-high wall, run, Chest-high wall, run, Cut-scene&skipChest-high wall, run, Chest-high wall, run, Chest-high wall, run, Cut-scene&skip + flick switch, etc etc etc.

I have no idea what the people are talking about or what the game is about, but the gameplay is dull and repetitive.

8. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    The patch is actually 350MB but due to a bug in the Windows store many are seeing it as being huge (it should still download and install fine). There is a patch and you should be able to get it from WU, after that it should work normally. This is what I have read though, I am not home to see for myself yet.

9. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    2070 subpar RTX OFF
    Yeah, if you've played Gears of War 1 and pretty much every other cover based shooter since then, I can't imagine why this would be exciting. I think people are just happy that 1. The game doesn't run like crap 2. M$ threw them a bone by releasing a new Gears on Windows. Nowadays, devs will get heaps of praise just for releasing a game that isn't completely broken.

10. Antykain

Antykain Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1
    Been eyeballing this game quite a bit lately.. I played the original Gears of War about a decade ago when it was first released on the Xbox 360, which was still pretty new itself at that time. I have not had a working console in quite a few years and never jumped on the PS3/XBone wagon when they were released. Anywho, been thinking about revisiting Gears of War and grabbing it soon. Been watching/reading reviews and catching a couple of Twitch streams to check out gameplay.. and just from what I've seen, the PC version does indeed play smoothly.. but quite repetitive gameplay, as others have also said.

I don't know.. There are quite a few new releases out or coming out soon that I have been looking forward to more. Just itching to play something new right now.. lol

Anyone who has the PC version of GoW4 have an opinion about it?

11. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Yeah, but cod has been a succesful game every release I think, Gears on the other hand was on free fall if I´m not mistaken.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Your mistaken.

13. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Judgement was the only Gears game that did not sell well. It got some "meh" reviews and overall was more of a spinoff than a true Gears sequel. Gears 3 was very popular and sold very well and it looks like 4 is doing quite well too despite the story not really breaking any new ground.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    In one of the interviews the lead dev from the Coalition basically said they wanted to play it safe as possible with GoW4 because they didn't want to alienate any fans due to the studio switch. He basically said future games they'd start putting their own twists on stuff. Sounds like they may have went a little too safe.

15. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Now THAT'S what I'm talking about.
    Really impressive performance with a cheap CPU.

HARDRESET likes this.

16. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti G1 GAMING OC
    I got it , less than 5 bucks , but dame 133GB , see you tomorrow , with an update.

17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    Yeah tons of free multiplayer map additions over time since release and then a repack to get file size down a bit but the game is still really big size-wise and even the launch version sat close to 70 - 80 GB from how I remember, been a while though I might pick up Gears 5 via GamePass when it launches as this wasn't too bad for a cover shoot-em-up though from how I'm hearing it the older games had a bit of a edge over this one.

Hmm would be interesting to see performance results from Gears 5 when that does come out, newer UE4 engine I'm guessing and probably some customization from the developers and experience with PC and also newer PC hardware though if it'll look better or just run better I suppose we'll see ha ha. Both? :D
    (Character detail seems really good from the media so far though how much of that matters when you're sitting behind a small knee-height obstacle and staring at some bulky dudes backside occasionally popping up and taking some shots at some equally bulky alien monster whatever thing I suppose can be debatable hah.)

HARDRESET likes this.
  18. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti G1 GAMING OC
    I remember when i first got a 500GB drive in 2004, hell my 3 TB now won't hold all my games , anyway UE4 engine in Gears 4 , be interesting to see if it has the latest Unreal Engine 4.21.2 build. its using 4.1.2
    New: Platform SDK Upgrades
    In every release, we update the Engine to support the latest SDK releases from platform partners.
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Builds/4_21

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    JonasBeckman likes this.
  19. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti G1 GAMING OC
    [​IMG]Did the benchmark at 4k ,ultra preset ,funny thing is the recommended is the same preset , 62 fps avg , have to say , visually stunning , need to do a defrag , rebench and upload ,post in Pimp your gaming. update bench 64 to 66 fps.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019