Review: G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4 3600 MHz 64GB (Ryzen Kit)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 15, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    386SX and DeskStar like this.
  2. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I have this kit in 2x16 and and up with Hynix MFR. Was hoping for CJR.

3. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Still not as good as my 3600 OC'd to 3800 @16-19-19-53. Quad and dual. (Almost yack) as daughter shows me some chick eating a octopus.......

4. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    I have the low latency version on the X570, it's a very good RAM module when using it on very long intensive session, sadly if this one is inexpensive the low latency is a bit... not so inexpensive, but it's the same on the 3200 where the low latency cost nearly the price of the normal one X2...

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I love my 16-16-16-36 3600Mhz kit form G.Skill. Have never had any issues from them. However why have we not seen timings get tighter? You would think we would have some really tight timings on DDR4 by now?

6. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    One word: density. To get 64 GB from just two modules, you have to sacrifice timings or max clock speeds. You can't have everything.

7. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    the capacity on the second page of the review, shouldn't it be 64GB (32GB x 2) instead of 16GB (32GB x 2)?

8. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    the newer ddr4 ics clock really high(micron rev E and samsung 16Gbit D-die can readily do 4000mhz+), but cannot do tight timings, they are designed for max bandwidth and low power consumption, samsung 16Gbit b-die(as famous for the ultra low latency 3200 cl14 kits , and now EOL) was an exception rather than the rule unfortunately.

Loophole35 likes this.
  9. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Because there is no push in the market. FPS gains for lower latency or bandwidth increase are marginal, while bigger size has major advantages in more applications.
    Is still the server market that drives memory technology

Loophole35 likes this.
  10. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Dingety-ding-ding-ding! You Are Winnar!
    As they always say: No matter the speed of RAM, it's all water under the bridge if you don't have enough of it.
    When I went to Micro Center for a buying spree - I could have gotten 16gb (2x8gb) of the fast (3600mhz cl14 to cl-16 range) for 80~120$.
    OR, I could have snagged 2x 16gb single stick packs for 72$ a piece (2x72$, for 2x16gb sticks of dual-rank 3000mhz cl-15) from the 'on-sale' rack. Which I precisely did do.
    I am glad I went the 32gb route - for content creation that I do here is always munching it up. Heck, even the OS and web browser combined will happily munch of over 8gb at times.
    So yes, entirely happy here with slightly slower but plentiful amounts of RAM (well 64gb would be 'plentiful', this is 'a bit more than enough' for my heavier work-loads).

ON-TOPIC:
    It would be nice if they would make an RGB-free version of this for the adults that don't need a disco-tech blinding them. I refuse to pay extra for features, would rather spend that RGB premium on something that actually makes the computer faster. "Oooh Shiny!" only goes so far, 'ya know.

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The thing is windows will use more if more is available. My work PC has just 8GB in it and it hums along “fine” with 10+ chrome tabs, CDK with 3 or more tabs open, two IE tabs and a web based estimate generator called Edge MPi. So again window idle process will scale to available ram.
    Though I do have 32GB in my laptop 2x16GB and that thing seriously flys eventhough it’s only a 90W 2060.

While yes there is not a huge increase in max frames and average with lower latency and faster RAM there is a marked improvement in 1% lows which will improve your experience. Low latency is almost required on Ryzen to get a good gaming experience. Production workloads however it’s not as big a deal.

12. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Right on then I will stick with my 128GB setup 3600mhz 16-19-19-53 all day long. In 64GB config they rock at 3800 with same settings and a 4200mhz with hella loose settings.

I am happy with what I've got though to say the least. Need more in 3900 setup as it is lonely with its meager 16GB now. 3800mhz and same aforementioned timings though it fares quite well speed wise. [​IMG]
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn what is the score with that abysmal scoring of the 3800X? So low/slow in some respects and the memory even OC'd.

13. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Those timings are normal for XMP.

XMP values really suck on AMD (yes, even for kits "designed for AMD")
    ... but fortunately Yuri's calculator exists... and better results can be obtained much quicker than with manual tuning.

The few games I play (which happen to be latency sensitive) got "smoother" * after that drop from 76-79ns to 65-68ns and more consistent memory access.
    * Smoother = higher 1% lows, less choppy frame drops, so the game felt better even if max FPS didn't change much or at all.

14. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    The disgusting Asian girl that supposedly does ASMR? Saw it and never again.

DeskStar likes this.
  15. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4090 Strix
    Would you mind expanding a little more why 3200cl14 over 3600CL16? given that performance is very similar, would be interested on why your preference.

16. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Infinity-Fabric clock speed. (FCLK)

Keeping CPU internal buses and memory in sync at the highest possible speed results in higher performance than stock CPU.

Performance is NOT similar, there is a difference (not big, but even 3% extra is enough to catch up with the competition in many titles)

Intel has that ring-bus so memory speed doesn't affect CPU processing speed (not clocks), but it does on AMD.
    If reviewers would re-test R7 3700X 3800X with fast memory and 1900FCLK ( 3800 MT/s memory ) with tight timings, it would beat 9900K in most games, but no popular outlets did that (only more niche "overclocking" ones)

17. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Dude ink exploding and all..... Like WTF OVER!?!?!

18. kataphract

kataphract Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    Doesn't this article incorrectly mention multiple times that kit (2x32GB=64) is 200 bucks ? (Euros/Dollars). It even mention the math being 3 bucks for GB, which would support price being 200.
    But the actual price is double, the cheapest I found them across Europe is 360 Euros.

There was higher-end memory from Micron supposed to come to market in February (Crucial 2x32GB 3600 CL16) but it didn't materialize (32GB DIMMs only came in 3200 CL16), which is usual fare for 32GB DIMMs for past two years.
    Promise of high-speed, but never enough dies that bin that high to actually sell. G.Skill is guilty of this at least 4 times by now :- ).
    (They do usually make one or two kits, since I zoomed into Linus's video, but nothing us mortals can buy on market).

19. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    I just replaced my Corsair dominator platinum 3600 cl18 with Gskill tridentz cl15 and tbh....so far i dont see what all the fuss is about, it certainly doesn't make much difference to the division2 or Arma3.