Review: Fractal Design Focus 2 chassis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 17, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    This time, we're checking out the Fractal Design Focus 2, a successor of the Focus G chassis (ATX compatible), which we reviewed back in 2017. A Mini version was also available, dedicated to the mATX...

Review: Fractal Design Focus 2 chassis

2. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Thats a nice looking Basic case. The only alarm bell ringing for me is it has 2x140mm fans in and when you look at the PSU mount, the PSU is out side of assisting in case exhaust. With those 2x140mm fans in. I get the feeling there is gonna be a rotten swirling mess of an air in, out bottle neck.
    Just my thoughts. Just saying. What I have said would not stop me from buying it. :)

3. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT Nitro+
    There are holes at the back of the case and at the top of the case. GPU and CPU will likely also move air. I don't think that it's a problem, you can buy more. I think it's good that there are not more than 2 fans as that would increase the price of this case.
    If you are building a budget PC, this looks like a good value, if a bit better one, ask yourself if you would like to have a Fractal Design Define instead.

4. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Would've said it's a solid case but for the lack of the PSU shroud. I'd be buying something else just for that reason. Add $10 and you have plenty of options.

5. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    You see, thats whats great about having a glass side case is that you can do a smoke test on air flow efficiency.
    fag.jpg

6. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    High marks, once again, for the far-better-than-typical photography. And, a good, in-depth review, overall.

I've built 2 systems in the earlier Focus G. (Some of us still prefer to have an optical drive. Yes, I know, it's just too bad.) While I liked the fact that the "G" was quite light, and had the acrylic side-panel, ('cause I don't have any special fondness for tempered-glass, or windowed cases in general), it was surprisingly fussy when it came to, not so much cable management, but simply cable attachment, with some components.

This model looks like it might be an improvement. But, by removing the possibility of mounting a 5-1/4" optical drive to satisfy the twisted needs of myself and other DVD philistines, Fractal has thrown this case into a far larger ocean of competition. Without an actual PSU shroud, and an out-of-the-box Vegas lightshow pre-installed, it could mean a rough time for Focus 2 with my fellow millennials and the zoomers.

7. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Agreed, This review got me somewhat motivated to look for a new case.
    Very similar is the
    Fractal Design Focus G Mini Black Window.

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    In Sweden they cost way more than 70-80$, rather 110€ making them overpriced as there are better alternatives for that kind of money.

9. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    @Celcius fellow millennial here ! I have to use a DVD drive like a decade (except to make some music CDs for my mother she really wanted where I dedusted an old sata drive and pulled appower cable out with an extra data cable ) ! That said I mean if you have a big collection of retro games or blue rays , I can see why you would want one . Maybe in the future you can look at some external USB solution for a DVD drive bay will most likely untie your hands and options to so many cases !