Review: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We review the Fractal Design Define 7 Compact, a product that oozes build quality combined with a beautiful look and decent features, this round in an all compact design. Read the review here. ...

Review: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact

tunejunky and DeskStar like this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I always liked FD's clean and simple looks and build quality.

But... these aren't hilbert's floor tiles... what's happened? :eek:

cryohellinc and DeskStar like this.
  3. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    I love me my fractal define 7!.! Couldn't wait to slap in my custom loop like it is now.

Fractals first case for me. And most likely not the last from them for me as well.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I just bought the full size version of this case I love it only complaint no hard drive activity light that I'm used to having.

DeskStar likes this.

5. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    4, 6 and a 7 XL here.

Might as well replace the last one which is not FD with this 7 Compact, then all four PC's in my house are in FD cases :D

6. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Inside this case looks really good. Only thing I'm not a fan is the front, I prefer an all mech with filter but very few cases like that exist. I have a coolermaster NR400 and the design is what I like. The case is plagued with flaws and bad build quality though.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah loved that one as well, had it but changed to a bigger case for easier custom loop building. Now it still serves a friend of mine (with air cooling) because it's simply great :)

DeskStar likes this.
  8. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Oh, I just realized it doesn't have a door...

A define case without a front door. Whaaaaa?? :eek:

I retract my early statement, not going to buy a Compact. That frontal door is essential for me, as I have no AC in the house.
    Door closed when colder, door open when warmer.

9. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    this may very well hold my next build, especially as i consider a loop mandatory with 16/32 cores/threads.
    i've had good luck with asrock mATX x570, especially as i use the Asus pcie 4.0 add-in card for mass storage. now let's see next gen gpu's and i can start pricing out the build.

10. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    Hey will yo ube doing the review on the normal FD 7 as well, i saw you made the XL and the compact, but the normal one would be really interesting to see. Esp if there would be some better explanation and demonstration on how to add those HDD trays. I wanted to get a normal define 7 for a home NAS, but as far as i can tell, those extra trays and brackets still cant be bought (at least here in Germany) and they are mega expensive =/ so i would rather see first how this works.

11. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    As I like mine Fractal Design, sometimes power button gets stack inside and wont come back, causing constant reboot.

Hope they fixed it with recent version.

12. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Totally agree!

Like the days of the PS3 and how I loved watching that little light let me know it's alright and there's activity going on somewhere.

13. oli3

oli3 Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Exact same thing happens with me, have a define mini c and I have to to always make sure the button doesn't remain pressed down.

I remember checking out a define 6 and the power button was different, much less travel and more of a click then a button press.

14. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Happened with 4, no longer happens with 6.

I guess they learned their mistake and fixed it in the mean time.

No issues whatsoever with 7 (so far anyway, mine is quite new, just a few days)

15. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    R4 here , nothing like that. This case will last FOREVER , and i mean it :)

16. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    Have you tried lubricating the button with some silicone spray or similar lube?

17. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    From what other users mentioned on Internet, is that plastic rail that guides power button brakes. Lubrication probably wont fix an issue, and taking it apart might put a nail in the coffin.

I can spray some wd-40 in it though..

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that is a thing of beauty, I love finish on FD Define series, never liked that there power led double as the the hdd led though

Not fan of power button either, it has to far distance to go before it actual power on system and button does not go up and down smoothly using and R5. now price on them another story, they seem to be getting more and more expensive I pay 75$ for my R5 and that was cause I caught on sale for for almost 50% off