Review: Far Cry New Dawn PC graphics benchmark analysis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    airbud7, rl66, kens30 and 7 others like this.
  2. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Wow impressive performance!

3. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Same or better performance than far cry 5. :rolleyes:

Same game anyone? :D

4. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    have farcry 5 I see this as DLC so I will not purchase at full game price but thank you HH for awesome review

RzrTrek likes this.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Looks like it performs even better than FC5.

6. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Far Cry 5 was one of the better optimized AAA title games in recent years; it looks like this is more of the same. Thankfully they aren't charging full price for what is essentially an expansion pack (albeit a large one).

7. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    £38 for a big reskin.....not so bad, hopefully the sp campaign with last a little longer and does not have the wacky hallucinations again....and again

8. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    $40 here, can be had for $32 on sale from legit sites, could be worse. At the rate I go through games we'll have FC6 before I'm ready to consider buying it anyways. :p

9. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    other half has this game, im currently downloading. watching the odd bit of gameplay it does run smooth and looks great. Looking forward to more coop action.

10. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Yo hilbert I really like the graphics quality comparison screenshot slider that you've started doing, but on firefox it highlights the image while you move it, any way to fix that on your end?

Seems to work fine on chrome.

11. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    Yet another excellent article! I especially like the inclusion of 2 things; the image slider system, and the VRAM usage comparisons. Many thanks Hilbert for taking the time to post it here.

Maddness likes this.
  12. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Thanks for the review Hilbert, the image slider system is really great addition!
    Looking forward to it being used as the default screenshot comparison viewer from now on.

Maddness likes this.
  13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    So, there are still good looking games playable on entire current spectrum of GPUs.

14. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    One thing that did come to my mind was back when AMD launched the first Vega card and they showed off Rapid Packed Math, everyone was hating on AMD about the fact that they want to basically reduce image quality to boost their performance and no one was for the technology.... Yet now we sit with basically the same thing from Nvidia with DLSS??? Oh no I forgot some will say that’s better because it’s AI and runs on Tensor Cores... Lol! No wonder AMD doesn’t bother with the whole Raytracing and AI thing...

15. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Quite honestly we stopped supporting FF years ago as with each build there was a new problem one way or the other. However I just checked, and it is working fine for me in FF.

airbud7 and warlord like this.

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Hah yeah the browser isn't without it's quirks and playing catch up with Google Chrome and what Chromium adds and introduces in tandem with whatever is bonkered in Firefox itself or what the Moz team is working with that might take a few releases, used to it being on the beta branch and all and the extensions and customizability is good but if I switched today it would probably be Chrome.

Nice coverage for this and Metro Exodus without steering way into some browser war and favoritism hah. Well they all have their things I guess and now to read this more in-depth following the Metro Exodus article yesterday.
    (Expecting similar results to Far Cry 5 maybe a bit more foliage and some tweaks to ye olde aging Dunia but not that much different in the end.)

EDIT: Hmm so the VII is running into a CPU limit though it pulls ahead nicely on GPU matters at 2560 and 3840 and probably higher though gaming at 5120 or 7680 is probably a fairly small number what with the hardware reqs and the not quite that excellent multi-GPU support in many titles nowadays.
    (And then there's 21:9 and that is mostly improving so that's a plus.)

2080 and 2080Ti doing good as usual, will be interesting to see what NVIDIA has for the next piece of their lineup maybe later this year?

And both AMD and NVIDIA's high-end offerings are capable of averaging over 60 FPS though close to the 60 threshold so maybe some dips are expecting in busier sequences. Still not bad even if it's not the most visually advanced game engine overall but that's good performance.

EDIT: Going to be fun to see more about the 2080 and VII in newer games too and with newer drivers sorting out any Vega VII issues, maybe not massively increasing frame rate but fixes and stability is also a important factor. Though this is a performance test and not a GPU focus article but yeah curious to see what other titles will be doing. :)

And now back to Montana I guess and where nuclear power brings massive growth of flora and improves the fauna too. Nuclear winter? Seems to have been a really mild one!
    (Y'know we kinda like this overgrown setting but we kinda nuked it all...oh do it anyway. :D Eh something like that perhaps. Fun take on the setting.)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    airbud7 likes this.
  17. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Very nice review Hilbert.
    I have just finished the game one hour ago :)

BTW as i have both NVidia on my main PC and AMD on my new HTPC, the jigsaw line happen a lot more with NVidia, and is nearly corrected with latest AMD's driver + FC new down update that occur last night.

It's the same as FC 5 (same engine and maker), but lot more fun, colourfull and less dark.
    It's like FC Blood Dragon compared to FC 3.

I am prefering those FC over regular one :)

warlord likes this.
  18. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    Rapid Packed Math prioritizes specific defined textures that will not show visual difference it can be finetuned by the developer, DF did a great comparison for RPM, the result were good.
    DLSS not only uses dedicated hardware but affect the whole image, you lose detail because of the lower native resolution and the image comes very blurry.
    comparing them both is ridiculous

19. The Edge

The Edge Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    I would really like to see 1% lows or something to display the minimum FPS in your graphs. Average FPS can be quite deceiving these days.

HWgeek likes this.
  20. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    +1, but only in 1440P/4K in games that the AVG FPS is around 60FPS - to know if the game is smooth or there are moments of stutter <40FPS.