Review: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 22, 2021.

1. rdmetz

rdmetz Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 780 6GB SC
    My very first 3090 bought for a friend in another state was an Asus before I mailed it to him I put in in my system to check it out because I know he's not as technically inclined and the card immediately went into a "limp mode" and only would run around 300 mhz even though temps were fine.

I had to spend several days trying to fix and ultimately had to open the card up as I wasn't going through all the hoops of getting an rma setup with a company across the world that doesn't speak English.

I eventually found the issue and fixed it (they did a terrible thermal paste job and attached the heatsink so bad it was flexing) afterwords the card worked as it should but my friend has told me he still gets some weird stutters but now I can't really diagnose it and he's not willing to go through the rma hassle and is just dealing with it.

As far as msi the only card/a I've ever owned from them were 1080 seahawk ek in sli and not only did I have TJ have both cards replaced due to them dying I had to replace both a second time.

After which I sold the refurbished card (which came back as cards that had pre stained puke green block on one red on the other)

I only ever ran distilled water through them so I said enough and sold each as they showed up on ebay and moved on.

2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    what work am I supposed to do exactly ?
    the queue here can be different from where you live,you know
    the world is not just your discord group

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no they aren't.

cucaulay malkin and chispy like this.
  4. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    So they are transferring warranties now?!? Man that is awesome! I mean heck that is friggin EPIC!!

5. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Have fun with an issue cropping up with and getting a proper solution from companies like MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte and the others out there.

A few issues that are being taken care of in a select group and the product is shite?

I know from EVGA if I even think there is a problem I can cross ship my cards/power supply/motherboard without a question and get a new one.

Did that once with a faulty PSU. Had two and wasn't sure which one was messing up, so I said I want to RMA both! And they said sure.

Cross ship in effect all day....

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    must be nice to have the thousand(or more) dollars to manage cross ship sitting in your bank account at any given time.

the rest of us have bills.

7. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    EVGA have probably took a huge hit from these strange card failures and is also probably one of the most popular brands out there which makes it look a lot worse than it is.

I've owned EVGA gfx cards in the past and they are probably still working now. I never understood the hate for other brands especially the support side of things because it doesn't work like that here in the UK unless you buy direct from the vendor.

If any of my Gigabyte parts were to die or start misbehaving it wouldn't be going back to Gigabyte through me. It's down to the shop where you bought it from to honour the 3 year warranty on most expensive stuff at least anyway. I actually have 2 warranties on my 3090, a 3 year one with the store i got it from and i signed up for the extra year through Gigabyte which is then 4 years warranty.

So in 3 years from now my gfx card dies and then i'll have to deal with Gigabyte personally but until then it's covered by the etailer.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    EVGA are small fry.

9. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Get a credit card? I mean if I don't have money in my bank then I shouldn't be playing games with big boys then.

And some of us have kids on top of these bills. That's like saying my bills have bills of their own...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  10. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Just make sure them warranties don't run in tandem. And your vender tried to tell you to honor the manufacturer warranty first because it's in effect from purchase.

Just had a bad experience with extended warranties and asshats trying to say they run consecutively and not in tandem. Still not sure how a manufacturer warranty is implied that the seller will take care of the leg work for the consumer if there is an issue after purchase.

That was Best buy years ago. Salesman being a salesman and getting that warranty spiff. Trying to tell me I'd get nine years now f warranty because the four year extended would run after the five year manufacturer (Klipsch). Yeah no. They run in tandem and it's only good for if I need to replace anything from best buy immediately and not have to wait for the long ship/assessment/and reship of a good working unit.

I get it if it's within 15-30 days (most brick and mortar) but to have a three year warranty halo lingering over your head as a seller is kind of a joke.

And I get I'm not in the UK, but I didn't think it would be that different either.

11. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    FS-014-OC Custom AMD R7 5800X @ 3.8GHz System 1
    CA-058-AS ASUS ROG THOR 850W 80 Plus Platinum Modular Power Supply 1
    CA-25W-CS Corsair 5000D Airflow Tempered Glass Mid-Tower - Black 1
    CC-9011210-WW 1 CP-3CE-AM *Build Stock* AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core 4.7GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Tray 1
    FG-06B-NB Noiseblocker NB-eLoop X B12-PS ARGB Black Edition - 120mm 1
    FG-06C-NB Noiseblocker NB-eLoop X B14-PS ARGB Black Edition - 140mm 2
    GX-1C1-GI *Build Stock* GIGABYTE GEFORCE RTX 3090 GAMING OC 24GB GDDR6X GRAPHICS CARD 1
    HD-06B-CS Corsair MP400 series 4TB NVMe PCIe M.2 Solid State Drive (CSSD-F4000GBMP400) 1
    HS-03R-NC Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black CPU cooler - 140mm 1
    MB-57T-GI Gigabyte X570S AORUS MASTER (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 Chipset ATX Motherboard 1
    MY-002-8P Team Group 8Pack Edition 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit 1
    TH-020-TG Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut High Performance Thermal Paste - 1 Gramm 1
    XX-006-OG System Warranty - £4000 to £5000 inc VAT - Standard 3 Year C&R + Labour 1
    XX-065-OK Full Cable Management + Labour 1
    Total: Subtotal: VAT (20.0%) £3,684.06 + £736.81 = £4,420.87

C&R means they will collect it and return it at no extra cost to me.

Well i actually paid extra for my warranty so as you can see i actually have a proper warranty but i can't remember how much that was unless i find the emails which give me a total breakdown on what costs what. This is a whole system warranty but single items are all covered by 3 years too. They even sent me a sort of certificate of authenticity for that warranty which is dated to run out in about 2 years 9 months.

12. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    I just picked one of these up from my local Memory Express store. They had it as part of a bundle with a EVGA 850 G5 PSU for $1,960.00 (Canadian dollars). Considering what the scalpers are asking for this thing, that's not a bad price. I can say that this is an absolute beast of a card but I just installed it today so I haven't run it hard yet.

13. Kart01

Kart01 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Hello! I'm going to switch my 3080 to 3080ti and looking for the best possible option. Right now I'm looking for EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra but i heard that their 3080 FTW3 (non ti) had some issues with build quality, thermal pads. I wonder if EVGA have fixed those problems with new Ti version and if this card is good compared to other ti versions from different vendors. Thanks.