Review: EnGenius ECW336 WIFI6E Access Point (6th Gear WIFI)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 28, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    386SX and mbk1969 like this.
  2. James Frazer

James Frazer Member Guru

GPU:
    NA
    No mention of price?

3. FM57

FM57 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2070
    @James Frazer : I had the same question so I googled it. North of €950 here in France. Which is just astronomical....

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I corrected that in the review; the MSRP is $699.00

386SX likes this.

5. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn
    Are those tests really done with a client with 2x2 streams (or more if available), 160mhz channel width and QAM-1024? Somehow the results you get sound as if either the wireless chip or the client's other hardware cannot cope with the speeds.

I know you would never get 100% of the advertised performance, yet about 1200Mbit/s (peak) out of advertised 2400/4800 is a bit lousy for that price tag to be honest. I am almost sure there is an error hidden somewhere.

What device and what wireless chipset or 3rd party card do you use to test? Maybe I overread it, but I cannot find it in the review.

6. James Frazer

James Frazer Member Guru

GPU:
    NA
    I think I preferred not knowing the price... :/

Thanks though.

7. Windows ping isn't as-accurate as Linux. I get <1ms at all times from Windows, but get things like 0.254 and 0.563 on Linux. The review also doesn't cover much aside from throughput.

The best real-world test for routers is wireless PCVR imo, like this shameless plug:

VIDEO REMOVED

You get the bitrate in real-time and network latency, and any oddities in latency or packet loss are immediately noticeable in VR. In that test network latency stayed below 15ms the entire time and at 150Mbps bitrate, which is suitable for the low-latency and stability of packets required for VR. If a router can handle wireless PCVR <15ms at 150-200Mbps and no spikes, it's good, and that TP Link router was the only one I found to do that. File transfers don't account for minor packet drops or high latency.

For $700, I expect the ECW336 to have no issue with that whatsoever, but there's plenty of AX/Wifi6 routers that don't meet that performance.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2022