Review: DX11 - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided PC Graphics performance

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 24, 2016.

1. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    im very excited about this game in general but im waiting for patches & some feedback before committing. im not jumping in headfirst to this one. i loved DX:HR, not as groundbreaking as the first - but a worthy successor. IW left a very bad taste in my mouth, however...

anyway this game doesnt seem to be very well optimized although from the screenshots ive seen it does look nice. thanks for the quick benches!

odd. they dont give you a slider? its just a toggle?

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    well considering AMD drivers have mass overhead in DX11 vs Nvidia drivers , just like the OpenGL support is horrid compared to Nvidia it is kinda a win?

Which is why AMD show big gains in Vulcan compared to OpenGL and And Nvidia show LESS gains from Vulcan compared to OpenGL

to me that just means the game optimized for AMD which was the same for HR

3. Mica

Mica Member

GPU:
    RX 5700XT 8GB
    But still, natural advantage in DirectX12 and Vulkan plus an advantage in some DirectX11 games because they are optimized for AMD. I see this as great news for AMD users.

4. meth curd

meth curd Active Member

GPU:
    2080TI FE
    learn how to tweak settings and stop judging games based on what happens when the options are all cranked up to ultra

high/very high look perfectly good and run fine on mainstream cards in 1080p/1440p; there's only a handful of settings that really degrade performance.

would you have been happier if the devs just removed the ultra option to keep people from crying "bad port"?

5. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Can it do 60fps on medium/high settings on a gtx660?, good ports can do that.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    sadly i highly doubt it can even on medium, thought I would love to see the 660gtx on that chart

7. meth curd

meth curd Active Member

GPU:
    2080TI FE
    is there some sort of unified generally agreed-on measure as to what medium/high settings even are? is there a consensus on what the resolution of a shadowmap has to be for it to be considered "high"?

there's not, and it's all tied to the engine and more or less arbitrary decisions made by the devs.

the gtx 660 is a 4 years old card, what was considered medium/high back then is not necessarily equivalent to what is being considered medium/high now.

8. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    I wonder why isnt 16x anisotropic the default anyway, I've yet to see a game where setting it from off to 16x makes even the slightest difference in performance

9. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I like that it's mute. I enjoy reading reviews and don't understand why people these days need audio on everything.

That said, thank you for your insightful performance review, Hilbert.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  10. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Nope. AMD's DX11 driver barely takes advantage of HT, unlike NVidia's DX11 which definitely does. The driver is able to spawn worker threads which help to accelerate rendering. When PCGH.de used to test for CPU overhead, you could see it:

[​IMG]

Notice how NVidia manages to increase performance with HT enabled, but AMD does not? Anyway, it's just bad testing methodology to change platforms on a retest as it just introduces more variables.

It might be more CPU limited for you since you're using Crossfire, but generally speaking, the benchmark is very GPU limited:

[​IMG]

11. Dygaza

Dygaza Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    Indeed, AMD actually benefits more from a good single thread performance on cpu, so core speed is more important than actual hyperthreading in AMD's case. That ofc doesn't mean AMD doesn't benefit from hyperthreading. As rendering is only part what cpu is doing. You do have AI, physics and sound that do scale across remaining cores. In Deus X I do have cpu usage hovering around 60-80% in dense population areas in game, so hyperthreading is used very well with the game. This ofc helps nVidia just like it does help AMD.

12. semitope

semitope Member

GPU:
    iGPU
    the game looks good to me. Very dense in some areas. Character models are good too.

The benchmark looks close to the most demanding of scenes I think.

13. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Where do these f***tards come from?

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Because its made like that on purpose to sell more "high-end" gpus.

I posted this in DeusEx thread,

Its been like that a lot lately, this GI & volumetric lighting, PCSS - meh, VXAO, new Soft shadowing in Division - meh too much shadow detail lost., absurd tessellation levels, Dirt rally volumetric fog see trough thing - meh, post processing e.g. Crysis or DOF (Metro, Ass.Creed, DR3, Quantum Break,..), smoke effects..
    All that to coverup dated engine as a whole, this deusEx or Dirt Rally or FarCry3,4 or new Prey or Witcher3 and few more for sure.. Well for me personally nothing next-gen about them just some inbetween smear :grin:

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    from the great beyond were else:banana:

16. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    I tend to agree with you. First thing I turn off in most games is any vendor specific "enhancements". Seems like the fancy shadows in this game cut out at a distance and the very high AO causes artifacts. Just seems like amateurish application of "high end" features to earn some PC master race badge of approval. I didn't ask for this $hit.

17. RotatingFan

RotatingFan Banned

GPU:
    corsare
    yep

The more games that use the new API`S the more alienated and angry nvidia users will become because realising the truth kind of stings peoples pride.
    Its a shame a real shame that adverts manage to manipulate people into purchasing the wrong hardware.Call it stupidity or pure ignorance but they only have themselves to blame.
    When these features start to be used within polaris such as
    Primitive discard shader
    Hardware schedulers
    QRQ Quick responce queue
    Instructions pre-fecter
    Enhanced Geometry engine
    enhanced Asynchronous Compute Engines 3
    Async time warp
    Explicit Multi-Adapter
    Improvised shader efficiency
    gcn-shader-extensions the performance will get better and better.
    Intelligent computing rather than brute force will win.
    And a new Memory compression as well as having multimedia h.256 main 10 decode up to 4k / 4k h.265 at 60 fps encode AMD hardware just seems to be forward looking and yet people insist in making the same mistakes year after year.
    You can argue with people but they dont seem to want to listen and they get angry.

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    As far as I can tell, from seeing benchmarks, Nvidia has the fastest cards on the market.

19. SavagePotato

SavagePotato Banned

GPU:
    Quadro M6000
    very nice to see reviews so early, props to the team here :)

the game seems to perform a little badly considering the eye-candy, using a modified version of the glacier engine which hasn't yielded impressive games in the past but should be a great game nonetheless.

Worth noting that actually gameplay performance differs greatly from the benchmark

ht tp://ww w.pcgameshardware.d e/Deus-Ex-Mankind-Divide d-Spiel-55470/Specials/Benchmarks-Test-DirectX-12-1204575/

ht tp://i. imgur. com/Xsn6X8n.png

although they do use factory overclocked cards they fix the clock and it's specified. impressive performance from the Fury X nonetheless, hopefully Vega 10 will a little faster than a 1080 in these shader heavy games, should make prices look a little more reasonable :)\

Another german review with testing for how settings affect performance

http s://w ww. computerbase. de/2016-08/deus-ex-mankind-divided-benchmark/3/

20. RotatingFan

RotatingFan Banned

GPU:
    corsare
    well if you remove the pro duo i guess they do yeah.
    performance is only going to improve over time on amd but im afraid no such thing will happen with nvidia until volta is out.