Review: Crucial T700 PCIe 5.0 NVMe 2TB SSD going for 12GB/s

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 30, 2023.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Last edited: May 30, 2023
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    As soon it drops to 100-120$ for 1tb im going to replace it as my main drive. Little worried about those temperatures tho but passive heatsink seems to do just fine.

chispy likes this.
  3. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Wowza they are expensive, right now a 2TB Gen4 Corsair for £100 or a 4TB Gen4 Corsair for £220 seem cheap as chips in comparison.

4. Timur Born

Timur Born Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070S 8 GB
    Now we only need PCIe 5 graphic-cards to be able to make better use of PCIe 5 lanes. Currently I would have to run my v3 16x GPU at v3 8x to use a v5 M.2 and if I bought a new GPU then it would turn its v4 16x into v4 8x (=v3 16x).

A v5 x8 M.2 would then move its data over to the GPU via v4 x8 lanes, aka half-speed. Not ideal for what DirectStorage promises. As long as v5 M.2 drives only use x4 lanes it likely doesn't make so much of a difference, unless the data to be transferred to the GPU is already in even faster main memory.

5. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Impressive temperatures with that small heatsink, all the doom prophesies looks to be very exaggerated.

chispy and Undying like this.
  6. dragonlord

dragonlord Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Beta Tester
    Those were complete idjits testing without any heatsinks at all, passive or active. :p

7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Nice review @Hilbert Hagedoorn , as always well done Boss. Fast little drive :) , as long as it is well cooled with a good heatsink and some airflow it wont overheat.

Tech is moving so fast this days , by next year we will have 15Gb/s nvmes.

8. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    Crappy numbers. As usual it only delivers in sequential R/W with a QD of 8 streams.. For the rest it gets behind 980 Pro, KC3000, SN850X, Hynix P41 and so on.. 2TB for a TBW of 1200 is rather low. I replicated all becnchmarks withc a KC300 2TB, all af them crushes totally this Crucial overpriced nvme. Just need to try with HD Tune Pro although according to Anvil IOPS (specially in the write bench) is gues what's going to happen. Sustained write should go far beyond the 25% threshold with an SNX850, 990 Pro and KC3000.

To sum, up, it doen't even get close to PCIE 5.0 real maximum bandwith, Thay would be a concern if you would going to use it for masive storage and only large packed files (iso, tar, any compression format, video, music and so on). If you need 12-15GB/s on a SSD drive for who know what reason, then it's ok. But the everyday use of a drive for gamers, regular users, creators, IT admins, developers, intensive managment of DDBB. (this includes DNS, WAN routing and other services TCP/UDP services, basically everything would be bottlenecked by slow IO performance if Synthetic Sequential benches would be what determines what menans 'fastest'.

PS. Checked prince, 226 usd retail for 1 TB, hahahahaha,,

9. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    Just put 4 NVme PCIE 4 in RAID 0 for a total of 28 GB/s (not Gb/s).

10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Been there done that ;) ...
    GB/s ( not Gb/s ) sorry but you knew what i meant it's only a letter , but what do i know i only have broken pcmark 10 world records ,PCMark 05 , PCMark Vantage and as ssd disk benchmarks 3 times on hwbot making it to front page news on websites and magazines :p.

https://hwbot.org/submission/4752630_chispy_as_ssd2.0_nvme_16875_marks
    https://hwbot.org/submission/4854184_chispy_pcmark10_express_core_i7_12700k_(8p)_10301_marks
    https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-phenom-ii-overclocked-to-6-5ghz-with-liquid-helium-220c.html
    https://issuu.com/theoverclocker/docs/theoverclocker_issue_23?viewMode=doublePage
    image_id_2520355.jpeg

Last edited: May 31, 2023

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Back on the topic of this extremely fast nvme , Phison E26 controller can do max of 14MBps , later next year fast new controllers and flash memory will be available.

12. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    The controller is already close to the 4 lane gen 5 limit, not much speed to gain other then faster random and out of memory drive speeds, but it does not look like that is of high focus or possible cheaply.

13. Timur Born

Timur Born Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070S 8 GB
    Since current Intel board need to split the 16x Gen 5 PCIe into 2x 8x, 4 lanes become unused. What a shame.

14. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Any improvements in day to day use? Kind of thinking of putting 2 SDD's in RAID0 as well (not really interested in the max speeds but more in an improvement in the random 4K, etc speeds if it has any impact).

15. beedoo

beedoo Member Guru

GPU:
    6900XT Liquid Devil
    Much like buying the 1.2TB Intel 750 Nvme drive for AU$1200. Seems a bit silly now, when I just bought 2 x WD Black 1TB M.2 for AU$120 each.

16. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yes indeed Raid0 offers many improvements but it is risky ,as it is very prone to corrupt your OS and loose your data.

17. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    This made me laugh so much . We need a sticky thread for greatest personal achievments.

chispy likes this.
  18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Yeah Chispy is not one to be trifled with when it comes to taking HW to its limits. I recall back in the day when we were OC'ing our e8400s and worrying that anything above 1.4v may cause degradation. And along came Chispy with a 1.8v OC on LN2 :eek:.

@chispy , you still live near that LN2 factory? :D

chispy likes this.
  19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Good old times my long time friend :) . Indeed i'm still living in the same place next door to the liquid nitrogen place. I do not do LN2 extreme overclocking anymore , i have retired from the hobbie since 2 years ago.

alanm likes this.
  20. hamltnblue

hamltnblue Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I picked up a 2TB version and installed it in the MSI X670-P, which has a decent NVME 5 heatsink with top/bottom coverage. Temps definitely run hot during benchmarks, hitting 80c. Increasing air flow brings it down a few degrees.
    As far as speed, I'm moving from a 980 pro which was already fast. Copying files of course will be limited to the slowest side and won't get anywhere near the limit.
    In photo and video editing, the loading is a bit snappier working with larger files (if they are on the same drive).
    If you are running a fast 4.0 drive, I would wait until cooling gets a little better, and direct storage becomes more mainstream.

pegasus1 likes this.