Review: Corsair MP600 (2TB) PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We review the holy grail of next-gen M.2. NVMe, yes the Corsair MP600 PCIe Gen 4.0 SSD. Of course it is an SSD you can seat into any PCIe 3.0 compatible PC, however, if you place it into a Ryzen 3000 ...

Review: Corsair MP600 (2TB) PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Embra and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. DG21

DG21 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti WF Extreme
    Hi Hilbert, on page 11 @"PCMark8 - Storage - Photoshop Light" the order between WD Blue SN500 250GB and Plextor M9Pe 512GB look a bit mixed.

Greetings, TJ

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Checking, thanks.

4. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    "It shatters records given the right conditions".....when its empty, I have 2 nvme drives and 3 ssd drives, they`re all over half full and yet the standard ssd`s still hold close to there original speed but the nvme drives have dropped off more than 25% off there original (empty) speed, in the real world drives are not left empty and this should be reflected in the advertising, that aside.....great review.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.

5. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Wow, the Guru3D team has been busy with a lot of great reviews this week! :)

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Well, if you care about real-world results, you probably wouldn't get an NVMe drive in the first place. Except for really high-end workloads (like raw 4K video editing or handling large databases), NVMe drives just aren't worth the extra cost and thermal overhead. They're great if you care about bragging rights.

buhehe and Mesab67 like this.
  7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I'd probably hang fire on these until the tech has matured enough to saturate the 8 GB/s it's theoretically capable of :p

8. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I agree. The vast majority of users will benefit more from improvements in QD1, and we're yet to see great advances here and that really is a bit disappointing given how long SSD's have been in circulation.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  9. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Guys, this drive is complete failure and trash, here are some facts:
    1) Based on Gilberts test it lost in real life benchmark to its younger brother and tons of otehr drives
    2) The copy speed is relevant up to 75GB
    3) It doesnt show its peed in any real world test, only synthetic
    4) last gen drives using Physon Controller run cooler without heatsink, all drives using this PCIe GEN4 Controller, come with HUGE ASS heatsinks, if you go to MP600 amazon page, people ask if they can remove it and use the one that comes with Motherboard, Official corsair rep
    answered that only if you use water cooling, using motherboard heatsink is not supported and that this drive is meant to be used with the heatsinkit it comes and thats it.
    5) 2TB MP600 costs 450$, 2TB MP510 costs 250, for 500USD you can get TWO 2TB MP510 drive, use one for games one for work and get FASTER performance then from this drive, you can do RAID0 and get 90% read speed increase and 100% write speed increase, you can do RAID1 and get faster reads and security if you keep important files on this drive.
    So economically this drive isnt worth it, if it ws 300$ vs 350$ for MP510 then yes it logical, you pay little extra for new Controller, everything else is the same, same NAND, same work, etc [heatsink is 5$]

Clawedge likes this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no nvme is worth the price for current software and game development practices, they don't use deep queued resource loaders which is where nvme would shine.

11. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    Uhhh wat

12. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    This is where Intel does better with 760p and far better with Optane.

13. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I got one because the Black Friday offer didn't make it much more expensive than a SATA one, but more importantly I'm out of SATA connectors. I don't really care if it's faster than a SATA SSD (as long as it's not slower). I just needed the space. The only other choice would have been to replace a SATA SSD with a larger one, which, in fact, I also did.

So, there's that scenario as well.

14. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Why would i need to brag about owning a Samsung 970pro 1tb and a Crucial P1 1tb, as for usage...they make a big difference....not just to windows desktop usage but to game loading times as well.....i know....i have 2 plus a Samsung 850 EVO 2TB SSD, a Sandisk Ultra II 960gb, a an OCZ vertex 512gb drive....but im not bragging, i work for a living and my pc is my main hobby.

15. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Right now High quality NVMe with far higher TBW costs less money then quality SATA SSD
    Compare Corsair 2Tb MP510 vs Samsung 2TB 860 EVO regualr price [280$], corsair was going for 259$, today they lowered it to 252$ [it doesnt say discount so its permanent], there is another brand using same controller and NAND, Sabernet Rocket, they go for 2TB for 220$ compare it to Crucial MX500 2TB for 230$ or even to 860EVO 280$
    I dream when 2Tb SATA SSD drop to their PROPER price bracket, Samung 860EVO should cost 200-220USD and no cent more, Corsair MX500, 189-199$ [it already does lots of time price drops]
    Some time ago I got one 860EVO 2TB on deep discount on amazon uk and only got one like a tard, now i need another one for RAID0 [im going with ASUS X570 so it has 8 SATA ports, need to fill and my case with water cooling has space for 3 3.5Inch HDDs]
    I also got MP510 2TB that i want to RAID0 [much cheaper then buying PCIe GEN4 MP600 and twice the space]

P.S. About Thermals, I owned 2 generations of NVMe drives:
    Corsair MP500 1TB using last gen controller and moved to 2Tb MP510 using latest PCIe Gen3 controller.
    I can tell you that last gen controller was heating up, without heat sink could do 100 Celsius under load [it also sits under the GPU] I got Chinese heat sink with small micro fan inside, maybe 15mm or 10mm fan and with the heat sink it lowered the temps to 40 on idle and 60 on load.
    BUT when I moved to MP510 hetasink was unnecessary, the improvement in heat reduction is undeniable, it still under my GPU and only uses the on board Gigabyte "Hip looking" "Heat sink" which is just a flimsy aluminum that not attached directly to the NVMe but sits on top of it and it idles at 34 and loads to 50ish
    The PCIe Gen4 NVMe drive [at least the first gen models that came out now] are room heaters.
    If all PCIe Gen4 tech works like this [co far the chipset with fan, the NVMes, the NAVI cards that can boost to 95 celsius, it looks like PCIe Gen4 is not a good diea in this regard]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019

16. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Those are some pretty trippy speeds for just one M.2 card. I have 2x Intel 760p 2TB M.2's running in RAID 0 with VROC. I get similar read speeds but not quite the write speeds[​IMG]

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Sure, makes sense. If the price is mostly the same for better performance (even if realistically you won't use that performance) then yeah, might as well get the NVMe drive.

18. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    My 2x adata sx8200pro 1TB
    [​IMG]

Better and WAY cheaper
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Robbo9999 likes this.
  19. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest