Review: Corsair iCUE LS100 Monitor Back Lighting Kit

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Today we're presenting the Corsair iCUE LS100, a kit that brings some smooth and vibrant lighting to the back of your monitors for an immersive experience, you might even call it a bit of ambi-lighti...

Review: Corsair iCUE LS100 Monitor Back Lighting Kit

2. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Only idiots keep buying RGB BS.
    I want to buy some fans for my new PC case and guess what: other than the ugly noctua poop fans, nothing good exists without RGB and the mess of controllers...

3. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    I quite like the idea of ambient light from the game you're playing to make it more immersive.

Any chance you could show us a video of it when a game is playing Hilbert?

Also, is there any hit to performance? I guess somehow it has to average the screen colour on gpu, or cpu?

4. shaga

shaga Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3060 Ti
    This is exactly the kind of product I've been waiting and wanting. <3 I have a closed pc case and dislike RGB stuff but ambient lights for immersion? This is how it should be done. I didn't like previous products for the same function.

5. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    That's actually not true at all. There are plenty of brands of coolers and what not that have no RGB. I have one such cooler in my case right now. And it's a high performing one too, an H7.

6. semantics

semantics Member

GPU:
    N/A
    I've known for years corsair has been diversifying their product line, this is the first time it's hit me that corsair is no longer mainly a computer memory company.

Silva likes this.
  7. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    one line youre saying only idiots buy rgb, next youre saying without rgb its ugly or not good, conflicting?

nothing wrong with the chromax line as an alternative.

8. Stryfex

Stryfex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080TI SC
    Imagine the hill you want to die on to insult people and products is the "it's hard to buy fans without colored lights on them" hill

Loophole35 likes this.
  9. reno_skychaser

reno_skychaser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 6600 XT
    I mean.... looks nice, but lets discuss a 75% "Seriously?" discount. $120....

You could literally just buy a second monitor and set it up facing the wall for that price and get the same effect.

10. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    If some of you are like me and like some light behind the monitor to ease your viewing experience at night - just buy a cheap desk lamp

11. shalafi

shalafi Member

GPU:
    GB 1080Ti FE Hybrid
    :rolleyes: You already got some tips from the other guys, add Phanteks fans to that.

Silva likes this.
  12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Hey, rgb looks great and it runs faster. :p

Silva likes this.
  13. Inquisitor

Inquisitor Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC Hybr
    This looks cool, I already have RGB lighting at the back of my monitor (static colour), which makes a huge difference. Completely agree that it reduces eye fatigue. Turning it off and just using the monitor as is, now feels really weird!

However I'm concerned over having to use iCUE, I really don't like it, I know the new versions are better but still buggy and I still find it annoying to use.

Also if the CPU is at 100% the frame rate of the RGB affects drops and stutters. I can see it on my H115i CPU Block, fans and my Corsair Keyboard. Not really a problem in everyday gaming mind but still worth mentioning as I do notice it in Gears 5 as that consumes 100% CPU during loading screens

14. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    I'm suprised they are pushing the iCUE name on their products with the shitshow that it is if you google that name.

Only last night i wondered why my GPU was up at 90 degrees, to see in the case that icue hadnt initiated the fans on my GPU AIO and had left them off.

Fantastic Software.

15. Inquisitor

Inquisitor Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC Hybr
    Exact same problems I had, even with the latest versions. I also had issues where fans would spin up normally as heat ramped up but then would randomly just drop speed back to idle or off and stay there while the CPU was at 100% and just got hotter and hotter.

Absolute junk software, it always has been, even worse before they re-branded it

insp1re2600 likes this.

16. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I meant case fans, coolers there are still plenty with decent performance and good fans.
    I can't find fans I like, either performance and reviews are bad or the mess of cables put me off.
    What I meant to say is that good performing models, or at least what I've been looking for, all come with a cluster of cables that I can't even plug anywhere on my motherboard. The companies have invested on RGB and controllers while I just want a simple good looking and performing fan. I'm sorry if I can't make myself clear.
    "Most RGB fans are not that good actually" Exactly my point: we are paying for RGB and a crap fan.
    I am looking for months, it gets tiring and frustrating as all I find are RGB with no input to my MB lol. I just want decent fans.
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into it. I also have to see if they're available on my country.
    I hear you brother!

17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    @Silva If you haven't run into Noctua, be quiet, or Phanteks when, "looking for good case fans" I seriously doubt you have even looked at all. Just admit you came into this thread just to talk $hit about RGB (a feature that literally gives the end user choices).

You know if you don't like RGB just don't buy it. THERE ARE PLENTY OF OPTIONS WITHOUT IT.

insp1re2600 likes this.
  18. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I did exactly that with my RAM: bought the exact same kit without RGB and saved 15€.
    I'm all in for customization options, if done right, and quality assured.
    Problem is that neither is achieved, and the consumer is left with allot of messy options to chose from, no standard and a big headache.
    Ya, I hate this RGB trend, it's stupid and it will probably die in 10 years when a new thing is invented (smells? taste? cheap blowjob machine?)

19. Akumu

Akumu Guest

GPU:
    4000mhz 16gb g.skill
    Cant really blame them if RGB is whats selling. Certainly many people think its pointless and dumb but they wouldnt keep making this stuff if people werent buying it

20. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    That's actually a damn good idea!
    This only updates at 25hz, so a 2nd monitor would give a much faster updating light projection. There's a video of this Corsair on youtube, and during explosions it misses the flash.
    Also there would be no cpu/gpu overhead just using a cheap monitor.

Can you have a cheap 60hz 2nd monitor duplicating a 120hz freesync display?