Review: Corsair Force MP500 480GB M2 NVMe SSD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Join us in this first ever review of the new Corsair Force Series Mp500 M.2. SSD. These M.2 units which use the nvm express (NVME) protocol and that means storage technology at terrific speeds while r...

Review: Corsair Force MP500 480GB M2 NVMe SSD

2. Unilythe

Unilythe Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    This review seems very sketchy to me and not what I'm used to here. Your conclusion is that it's more expensive than Samsung's 960 Pro and its performance is worse than the much cheaper 960 EVO, and yet the last paragraph is almost solely praising it (by actually praising NVMe instead), even excusing the lower performance with "we assume that with future firmware releases the gap will be easily filled" which is indeed just an assumption. It ends with a Guru3D recommended.

How is this recommended? Why? Your conclusion completely contradicting that. It performs worse and is more expensive than its competitors.

Now I love myself some Corsair, but I would definitely not recommend this. Sadly no one can compete with Samsung at the moment.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Besides work application, i have yet to understand the advantage of those over standard SSD's for an average daily usage and gaming.

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I can see you concern and will rewrite the conclusion a bit. I agree the price is hard to justify over say Samsung. It remains to be a fast MLC NVMe SSD though, just not as fast as Samsung.

5. Unilythe

Unilythe Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    Thanks, I appreciate your quick and professional response.

Honestly, if I'd have the choice between this Corsair MP500 and a Samsung 960, I'd go with the Corsair simply because my PC is already filled with Corsair products and I like uniformity like that. But that's indeed purely aesthetics and because of brand loyalty. And I like rooting for the underdog.

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    That's exactly where my (likely a little too much) enthusiasm came from. I love seeing smaller companies jump on this bandwagon as we need the diversity. Samsung simply is dominating NVMe M2. But credit where credit is due, they do have the best performing product out there for a good reason. We all cannot deny or ignore that.

7. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Your kidding right...ive recently changed my boot drive....Ocz vertex 4 512gb to a new Samsung 960 evo 256...everything is just....faster and very noticeable.