Review: Corsair 4000D PC Chassis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Back in July all of a sudden a new Corsair chassis got listed, so yeah it wasn't a secret that they would out their new 4000 series lineup. After some delivery issues, we can finally present to you o...

Review: Corsair 4000D PC Chassis

2. reno_skychaser

reno_skychaser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 6600 XT
    Overall looks quite nice, but lost me at the rear-removeable PSU dust cover. I have a Carbide 400R, and I love it, but I'm never buying another rear-removeable PSU dust filter case again.
    [​IMG]
    Front-removeable filters are one of the simplest and most QOL improving changes I've seen in cases in the last ten years.

3. Domingo

Domingo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 (Gigabyte)
    Looks pretty nice, although I'm in the minority and still need an optical disk drive for Blu-Rays and such. I'll probably drop it in a few years, but it feels like I've been using a Carbide 540 forever.

4. James Frazer

James Frazer Member Guru

GPU:
    NA
    Come on guys, not a single photo actually square side on? Neither empty or as a build?

5. Equinoxe

Equinoxe Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 TI GAMING SLI
    Looks real nice! Im still rocking the 900D.

6. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    kinda meeh.
    having the option to mount a gpu vertically, but forgetting that lots of ppl have more than just a gpu (usb/TB/SC anyone?),

At same/lower price the Tt S300 is almost identical, except EVERYTHING can be removed (cages/shrouds etc),
    i have space for six 140mm fans (rear/top/front/bottom) additional space for three 120mm fans on the right (additional fans/rad),
    and with a 280 rad (plus fans) mounted still no issue with space, and ALL the pci slots can be rotated to mount mor than one/just the gpu (vertically).

7. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    I will never understand why they think its a good idea to have a top filter unless its a intake.

8. Santa666

Santa666 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080TI
    I think it has to do with Dust mostly landing on top and the possibility of a Build with negative air-pressure which will result in air beeing sucked in through all openings - its to prevent the top dust beeing sucked into the inner cooling circulation and clogging the CPU/GPU fans

9. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    yes, dust settles when its not running for example, but those negative/positive pressure stuff is "crap".
    unless you have hepa grade case filters, dust WILL get in, period.

remove the dust/particles from the air (airlifter for house/room) is a much better idea,
    will reduce dust build up, and will get you cleaner (room/house) air to breathe as well.

a 20$ fan + 30$ for a (permanent) K&N filter (washable) has reduced my dust by about 2/3,
    and i now get a couple of month before i have to clean pc, even that i live right next to a highway...

10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Hilbert, are you going to review the Airflow version? Because my current case has made me very wary of cases with closed fronts...

11. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Bought the 4000D airflow for my new build, just need the cpu now...

12. bst857

bst857 Member

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Can someone help me understand why having just one USB port (aside from the type c), isn't a problem?

I have 7 USB devices plugged into the front of my PC at the moment (2 external HDDs, mouse, keyboard, USB headphones, phone cable, camera cable). My mouse and keyboard won't reach the rear ports. So its very convenient to have all the USB ports I can on the front. Especially when plugging/unplugging cables, I don't have to reach around the back.

Now I could use a hub, but I'd rather not, if the motherboard comes with headers for all the USB ports I need, why shouldn't I use those?

So what do people do with a case like this, or like most cases which only have 2 USB ports on the front? I like the design of some of these cases, but wouldn't ever buy one because of the small amount of ports. The only thing I can think of is to make some kind of box out of a couple of 3.5" USB port drive bays, and make an extension to their cables going through a hole in my case to the mobo headers.

13. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    I have and had 0 devices hooked at my front USB port. Maybe an USB from time to time (charging miband, usb storage...), never more than 1 at the same time.

I rather have good USB hub connected to the back of the PC and placed under the monitor than hooking 3+ cables to the front.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    This is exactly why it takes me months to pick out a new case.... Took me 6ish months to pick out my current case....
    I would definitely skip this in favor of the 4000D Airflow case....or the Phanteks Eclipse P400A.....

15. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Yea, i´m on the same boat. When i built my current rig, i bought a Phantek Eclipse P400 with a closed fron panel because of the looks and the price. Then in the summer my system started to crash because of the CPU hitting almost 100 degrees and turning off automatically to preserve itself... Solution, remove the front panel...

I had to learn the hard way that closed PC cases and air coolers simply don´t work.

Since then i´ve been thinking about a new case but choosing a good one is not as easy as it seems. Anyway, the Corsair 4000d airflow seems decent and now i´m also thinking about the Lian Li Lancool 2 mesh performance that has great reviews.

Now i´m gonna take some time to choose and maybe do a small upgrade.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Look at some of the case reviews GN has done. They're quite extensive. Different fan configurations. With and without front panels, etc. They even compare thermal performance between a wide variety of cases.

I've made the mistake of buying the wrong case on multiple occasions....lol I'm using a Metallic Gear Neo-G now. Even with it's plastic front panel, it still has enough venting in the front to avoid causing cooling issues. Probably the first time in years that I've bought a case that didn't sacrifice airflow for aesthetics.... I almost bought the Eclipse P400 instead. The P400A is supposed to be a big improvement over the P400.