1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review: Core i7 6950X / 6900K / 6850K & 6800K Processors (Broadwell-E)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 31, 2016.

1. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 / Many others
    Going by what I've seen so far you'll be hard pressed to achieve 4.7GHz at 1.31v most seem to be around 4.3-4.4GHz at that voltage.

Really the only reason for you to upgrade as far as I can tell is if you could really benefit from the two additional cores.

Otherwise there's really no point, unless you just want it and can afford it then just go for it.

2. Odellot

Odellot Master Guru

GPU:
    2080TI SLI PG348Q
    I would like to have two extra cores for rendering and encoding videos...As for gaming, I guess I have to sacrifice the lower clock of 6950X...Can't decide..damn...:D

3. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 / Many others
    Difficult I guess, does the rendering and encoding of videos make you money? If so making yourself more productive could increase the money you make. If your not making money off it not sure I'd care that much.

4. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080 TI SLI
    for encoding/rendering I guess it would help having those extra cores, but higher clock speed per a core or slower core speed and 2 extra cores. tough choice! I think it would be best to wait for something better, like Skylake-E or something, that would be a worthy upgrade.

5. Odellot

Odellot Master Guru

GPU:
    2080TI SLI PG348Q
    I guess I'll just wait for the 6950x to arrive here in my country and see how much they will sell it..Then I will decide after that..

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    The added cores and threads would mean you wouldn't need to clock them as high as you would your current cpu now. That's the beauty of those added cores.

Assuming the application can use up to 20 threads, those 2 cores running at 4ghz would have more effect than 2 less cores running at say +500mhz per core over. :D

7. Odellot

Odellot Master Guru

GPU:
    2080TI SLI PG348Q
    Yeah...In multithreaded apps..But I also play games which will result in a less per core clock if the 6590x can't OC higher or closer to 5960x...That's my dilemma..:D

8. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Overclocking will suck on these cause it's the same area with more heat and if one of them 10 cores can't handle the frequency then it will have to be A: disabled or B: limit the frequency of the other cores.

I am surprised the AMD FX is doing well but DX12 and the additional cores is giving them a nice boost, looking forward to Zen. Depending on the price point of Zen there maybe a price crash for Intel.. or AMD prices theirs the same as Intel we will see at the end of the year i guess, right now Intel is going to milk people for what it's worth.

8 Cores is ideal right now DX12 supports 6 cores and you can use the other two cores for recording streams without hampering the other cores during games. Seen people use that as a best case for the AMD FX's in games and video recording/streaming which puts them on par with the i7's which it's stronger IPC but lack of cores reduces performance drastically while the FX's plod alone like nothing is happening just higher load on cores that would otherwise be idle.

However this really depends on your workload not everyone will be doing that, but it seems to becoming more and more popular now where everyone seems to be recording their gaming sessions.

9. Rugburn

Rugburn Member Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3
    Great CPU's, but these inflated prices is what we get when we lack competition..
    The 5960x is $1000 and now this new 6950x is $1500+??.. Unless someone comes along and competes with Intel, it wont be long before we see $2000 extreme edition cpu's.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    450$ for the 6800k.. Amd really need to make sure Zen can compete the prices are getting stupid er

11. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1 Gaming
    The 8370 is only about 15% down in most games. It's pretty shocking really when you consider the price difference between the chips.

I didn't see it mentioned in the tests but did you consider trying the chips with HT Disabled?

I'd prefer 6 cores with HT off if it meant higher over clocks. People used to tell me they could achieve higher and more stable OC's if they disabled HT but i'm not even sure if that's still a thing or not.

12. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
    As always, good job Hilbert!

I can relate to the OC trouble as my 5820K isn't the greatest either in that department, I can only imagine the horrors on a 10-core. I for example can get a perfectly stable 4.4GHz OC at 1.25 but can't get 4.5GHz even at 1.37, and the temps hit 100 degrees for me as well, albeit on a 4 year old, but still potent H100 with 4 fans on it...

This 10-core though, is e-peen on an astronomic level, it will likely be around 1800 euros lol. I knew Intel would do this, the $1000 5960X replacement was wishful thinking... :(

13. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 1500/1075
    But still first time they actually increased the price as much. For example ivy-e was cheaper then the earlier one and so forth.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I now want 6800k and the Asus X99A/ 3.1 in stead of the 6700k and Asus z170 pro gaming.. maybe If i wait longer and MS extends the win10 upgrade, that might change again hah

15. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti EVGA SC+
    From the looks of things, my 5960x is still nearly top dog as it's much faster than the broadwell 8 core after an overclock. Honestly, I was hoping that broadwell will suck for purely selfish reasons and it looks like it really does. At 2200$ Canadian, the 10 core variant is just ridiculous.

16. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    The prices are outragous, considering that the Skylake parts are the same size. That's what we get for a single "player" market. Along with Hilbert I'm actually impressed by the 8370.

17. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    I've never really seen a benefit to overclocking when disabling HT.

4.8Ghz + with my 4930k on air with HT enabled.

My 3820 was also able to do 4.8Ghz on air.

At those clocks, I see absolutely no reason to disable HT. As long as you have proper cooling, it shouldn't matter whether HT is on or off.

My view is, if it isn't stable with HT enabled, then it isn't stable.

18. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    You can get an 8320/8320e for $120 shipped.

Price/performance ratio is just insane when compared to the new Intel chips.

And you can generally overclock the 83xx chips close to 5Ghz.

19. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    8370 are better binned than 8320e

That 8370 is only at 4ghz. Overclock gives further boosting along with HTT w/ NBA increases.

I don't miss my 5960x that much.

20. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    3x GTX980ti
    As usual ever since Sandybridge my current CPU will serve me for at least 5 years before the performance increase justifies an upgrade again. My 5960X is cruising at 4,4 GHz on all cores, which is quite enough and needs hardly any overvolting. My next upgrade will be midlife graphics. Not just now with the GTX1080, but maybe the one after that.