Review: Core i5 7640X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Consumer computers and electronics are often unreliable and cheaply made.

Datacenters and the computers in them, supercomputers and mainframes that do mission critical work have to operate without failure for years at a time. Reliable computers exist.

2. Malmoth

Malmoth New Member

GPU:
    Evga 980Ti SC ACX 2.0+6GB
    i5 7640X and i3 7350K most garbage Intel CPU all the time.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Dont forget the blade server:

[​IMG]

4. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    i am pretty sure when they decided to release this cpu in this platform this was the image they got inspiration from !

[​IMG]

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    This CPU would have been problematic even if it wasn't tied to X299.

I mean who the hell is it aimed at?

6. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    In one of their recent YouTube videos, Nexus flat-out said not to buy the 7740X, saying that Kaby Lake-X made no sense, and said the 7640X definitely made no sense (so definitely do not buy). It is indeed puzzling how Guru3D gave this processor a recommended badge since this processor is the most nonsensical of the nonsensical KB-X processors.

What are you talking about? I've used the K6-2, Athlon XP (Thunderbird & Barton), Athlon II (Propus), and Ryzen (Zen) and they've all been reliable. In terms of stability and compatibility, I've had a fair share of issues on both Intel and AMD systems (had issues with DDR3 RAM on my Intel system, and DDR4 RAM on my Ryzen system).

7. The Edge

The Edge Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    I guess this CPU only supports dual-channel right ?

Also you have the wrong CPU highlighted in the 1080P Deus Ex chart.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I completely understand your perspective and see the validity in it, but I feel the point "Guru3dreader" made carries a little more weight.

If I may make a suggestion, perhaps you should tweak your rating system, where you have the following categories:
    * Performance level the product's class (in which case this i5 would get a very good score)
    * Level of features (where this i5 is good in some ways and bad in others)
    * Value (where this i5 is awful)
    * Any award(s) that you personally deem the product worthy of, whether that be recommendable (vs competitors), the best of its kind, a smart choice, better than advertised, and so on.

So ultimately, you mostly keep your original system the way it is but you make it more quantifiable.

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Hilbert,

You wrote "Our Corsair LCS cooler was not capable of cooling the proc enough as shown below."

but then mention below that "a nice 70 degree max" at 5.1

10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Ah, cheers for that Agent, fixed.
    As well as the quad-channel remark and the improperly highlighted proc in the Deus Ex chart Edge mentioned.

Cheers guys.

11. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I have had some old Sun / Solaris boxes go 3-4 years without a reboot so yeah there are reliable computers but they do cost more. I suspect my companies mainframes could do that as well but they are always updating, patching, etc so IPL(reboots) happen pretty regular.

12. darkcoder

darkcoder Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
    Intel's new milking machine. People are going to buy it believing they will get the full platform benefits, and they will only get a regular i5 with bigger cache enclosed in a bigger shell.

Very likely the improvements they got over the regular i5 were the higher clock and cache.

13. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    mmmmmmmmmm! you got me there! Cannot think of one! :sleep2:

my kabni, my athlon, my amd's all served me well, now go crawl under your intel shell, better still keep out, you have led a sheltered life.

And before i go, intel has also served me well! I cannot think of one cpu from either camp that have been - rma

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  14. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I understand that this was not a motherboard review but I´d not recommend just because they got the number of pin pads on the socket so wrong lol, and of course four threads are so lame, even by 3 year old game console standards.

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    This site has been doing this for years. I see nothing wrong with it, because the information written isn't any less true between products of the same family. The articles are designed so you don't have to read up on another product to get the full picture. Hilbert designs the article structure in a way where you can skip information you've already seen.

Other people have pointed this out too - Hilbert's explanation was the product as a CPU (so ignoring price) is good, which is true. But I agree that the product as a whole is far from recommendable.

Even the 7740X is a stupid product, and yet many people are buying it with good ratings. Intel somehow knew some people would be ok with it.

16. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Recommended award removed. People that found it needed to insult, banned. And well, I'll rethink next time if I want to spend 3 days on a review for you guys for your reading pleasure on a processor that i paid out of my own pocket, I might rethink doing that.

Comments are fine, but the stupidity and insults are unacceptable. Thanks guys, it is great to be an editor in 2017, your support is fantastic!

17. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    They still dont send samples to european reviewers?

18. RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel Guest

GPU:
    Intel Iris 6100
    Sadly the entire internet is quite abrupt and rude at the best of times, some forums/channels are certainly more civil than others...I see more and more comment threads, youtube comments, just descend into angry shouting over almost nothing, all the time. For example, I've followed the Brexit debate for many years and now it's essentially a hideous mass of people being awful...there is next to no debating, just 99% insulting and worse. Actual communication on the internet is almost dead. I'm currently still getting notifications on youtube comments I made where people making totally unrelated comments in response to each other are still arguing over nothing...I don't understand.

That aside, I think there's something about the nature of reporting on things you can buy where the reader is immediately put into a certain negative mindset - predisposed to reject and rubbish everything - likely nobody reading this article would have bought that CPU - so readers who comment will be commenting from a 'bad place', and they do it article after article; "this is ****, this is pointless, what's the point of that, <X> brand are ****, <Y> is for poor people, fanboys of <Z> are butthurt because memes" etc...

19. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    well it used to be bad always trolls and pissed people just venting out with out consern , but last years the whole thing getting out of hand , the internet is not full oerf snowflakes ...so many it is practically snowing all over the internet sadly .

Hilbert do not let the attack comments get to you i am pretty sure what ever you write on reviews and especially when those are reviews about nvidia/amd/intel products no matter what someone will complaint bellow or just straight up try to insult you and your integrity , my self i am visiting your site since 2002 .. i think around there i was in highchool and my only access to internet was the class pc's on some pentium II pc's and for every new hardware release you are the site i trust ! keep up the good work and thank you for all your hard work last 15 years you provided to me you are the reason i was always up to speed on what is new on hardware cpu/gpu side !

20. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    been visiting your site for years, its this site and hardocp that keep my interest.

the way you come across has always warmed me, a regular guy that does makes a spelling mistake, human! Please do not let a few moaners change it :banana:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017