Review: Core i5 12600K processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 4, 2021.

1. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    lmao CL22 for gaming. What a gimp. Please....

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  2. haste

haste Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    They are comparing the currently fastest available JEDEC DDR4 to a currently slowest available JEDEC DDR5. If anything, the comparison is unfair for the new DDR5. If you want to compare OCed systems, you should look elsewhere.

3. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    actually they are using the fastest ddr5 offically supported, just like they are using the fastest ddr4 that is offically supported,
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/1704...ybrid-performance-brings-hybrid-complexity/11

frankly however , I think its kinda dumb to use jedec for benchmarks on a consumer platform , since it doesn't reflect the reality of what is actually available at all.

4. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    It's idiotic test at best. Doesn't reflect anything, pure science ....

Valken likes this.

5. mackintosh

mackintosh Master Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti
    All benchmarks are arbitrary to a certain extent, that's why you never rely on just one source.

Why_Me and H83 like this.
  6. bluedevil

bluedevil Master Guru

GPU:
    Kfa2 RTX 2060 6gb
    I wonder how much the e cores matter for gaming seeing how no games really use more then 6 cores now. In the future when 8 cores or more become mainstream 12600 could have a even greater advantage over 5600x. The e cores put together might add up to some good performance increase. Hitman 3 for some reason seems to benefit from alder lake architecture quite a lot.

Why_Me likes this.
  7. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Looking at 720p tests they don't do that much. Haven't found ultra low res benchmarks yet.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700...
    ADL is a power hungry architecture. To get the best performance, you'll have to buy a "high-end" motherboard. According to a report I was reading earlier, entry-level boards can reduce performance by up to ~30%......just due to power phases

The "E-cores" can make quite a bit of difference since those are the cores handling background tasks, leaving the "P-cores" free to handle whatever game is running. The "E-cores" can be disabled though, if you want...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
  9. bluedevil

bluedevil Master Guru

GPU:
    Kfa2 RTX 2060 6gb
    "ADL is a power hungry architecture. To get the best performance, you'll have to buy a "high-end" motherboard. According to a report I was reading earlier, entry-level boards can reduce performance by up to ~30%......just due to power phases. "
    I agree. You have to be careful about what B series board you buy because hardware unboxed uncovered a lot of crap boards that can't run 11th gen cpu's at even their official tdp and have crap vrms that get hit and will eventually kill the board or even cpu in the long time.

"The "E-cores" can make quite a bit of difference since those are the cores handling background tasks, leaving the "P-cores" free to handle whatever game is running. The "E-cores" can be disabled though, if you want..."
    There are no background tasks running during a benchmark for reviews especially that are gonna influence the score in a meaningful way. What we need is a game that we know can use 8 cores fully or more, maybe 10 cores so we can see how much the e cores contribuite. Of course the 12600k is looking good right now in reviews vs even the 10900 a 10 core cpu but in a few years how is it gonna compare to it when games will be able to use 10 or more threads fully ? If a game goes over 50% on a 6 core cpu now it's using hyperthreading so we need hyperthreading disabled for a more apples to apples comparation. We know that games don't use more then 6 threads fully now because 8 Core cpu's from the same gen and vendor don't scale as they should in the fps scores vs 6 core cpus.

10. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    https://www.gigabyte.com/lk/Motherboard/Z690-UD-DDR4-rev-10#kf
    16+1+2 Digital VRM Design with 60A Power Stage
    195eur

11. bluedevil

bluedevil Master Guru

GPU:
    Kfa2 RTX 2060 6gb
    I hate Intel and their damn strategy of use a board for 2 generations then frack the consumer so the performance increase from generation to generation is not worth it on the same socket.
    I also feel like with the rise of boost implemented into CPU's that overclocking is dead . Sure you can get a max of 10% oc with a K chip but it will draw so much damn power that you need a good Z series mobo with a shitload of VRM's and a top of the line cooler to keep that bitch from melting .
    I would rather go for a B series board that's good enough that it can still handle a locked high end CPU without downclocking it because of crap VRM's and with the money saved on the board and cooler just get a better locked CPU.
    A B6XX with a locked 12700F would be better then a Z690 with a unlocked 12600kf.
    Also this is the worst time to buy a CPU because Intel is now top dog and AMD still needs to respond . Once we get the response from AMD then we can buy into 12th gen or ryzen . PCI-E 5.0 and DDR5 is not worth it .

Why_Me likes this.
  12. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    My concerns are that Gigabyte is now a questionable company in terms of management and they are NOTORIOUS for bait and switch on the VRMs between published testing models and retail models.

Gigabyte in the PAST were a really good company, worthy of their OC prowess but I have to be weary of this brand's reputation and user experience.

13. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    do some research on their z490/590 vrm then

14. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Gigabyte not looking good with 11900K on Z590:

11600K is better due to less power consumption but then the other boards also become better.

15. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800

Its power hungry because ITS HUGE , Just compare silicon die size to Zen3 and you will get an idea.

12600K takes close to twice the power of 5600X at full load.
    Yet in gaming it's similar or better ... so depending what you do with it . For gaming the efficiency is very good , better than Zen3.

This shows what can expect during the gaming.

[​IMG]

Why_Me likes this.

16. bluedevil

bluedevil Master Guru

GPU:
    Kfa2 RTX 2060 6gb
    The 12600k's main gain in performance for games comes from the massive 20 mb cache and not so much from the number of cores so i say we wait and see how much cache the 12400f will have .

Valken likes this.
  17. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    Found them. Yeah... once you account for DDR5 bandwidth gains, these new CPUs might be only marginally (no more than 5%?) better for productivity tasks....

Can't stop feeling Intel is just posing ddr5 performance uplift as their own merit. Meanwhile the cpus are same old arch + little cores that serve no purpose on desktop (according to idle watt measures) + bigger cache to compensate higher ddr5 latency on games.

18. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    "tied towards DDR5 memory"

I don't think so why would people spend more money on their Ram than their Processor and then take into consideration the Z690 platform is around the price of the processor + too, cost-wise it goes up very quickly.

19. vestibule

vestibule Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    The chip that I am waiting on is the 12400F. i5 6core, 6 thread. No efficiency cores in that one!!!!!

Why_Me likes this.
  20. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Its 6/12. Not 6/6.

Airbud likes this.