Review: Core i5 10600K and Core i9 10900K processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 20, 2020.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    You're completely misreading it. Power draw in enthusiast forums isnt about economics, but about heat generation. More power > more heat to deal with and dissipate. Enthusiasts now have to resort to LC to keep their chips cool where in the past air cooling was an option.

user1 and carnivore like this.
  2. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    To be honest stock coolers since ryzen 2000 are way better than old one.
    Intel stopped offering stock coolers and before they were fine anyway.
    I always had a noctua and water cooling, but now since 2 years i m back to the stock cooler because i m tired of tweaking.
    And while temps are not as good, it does it job perfectly fine.

3. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX 1080
    Intels box coolers where a joke from what i remember it wasn't even enough to cool my old delidded 3770k the thing throttled like crazy with any sort of load i remember that because i put the box cooler back on it when i sold it. I didn't have any problem when i got any of my AMD CPU's r51600/2600 and 2400g all ran fine with the box coolers. Personally i prefer to have the option of not getting the cooler if they gave a discount but then they would have to have extra SKU's and it might make things confusing for people.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Most of my builds have used stock coolers.... Only the system I use for gaming or Folding gets an aftermarket cooler. Unless I'm building a system that needs to maintain a specific temperature target for extended periods of time, I generally use the stock coolers.

sverek likes this.

5. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    The only time I bought aftermarket cooling solution, was cause CPU didn't have a cooler with it.
    Exception is my current 2500K, cause when I was young and reckless I decided to get AIO, which pump died later and ended up getting aftermarket air cooler.
    And to be honest back then intel's tiny stock cooler for 2500k wasn't enough to push Sandy Bridge OC to where it shines (4.5GHz - ).

Nowadays, CPUs at stock are already pushed close to limits by Intel or AMD. No much OC room without major investment.
    So if stock cooler can manage to cool CPU, that's enough for me.
    And I am glad AMD includes reliable and easily maintainable coolers with their products (especially APUs), helps a lot with budget builds.

Times change. Tryhards don't.

chispy and XenthorX like this.
  6. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    Well, that's interesting, upgrading cpu within the year and giving my 5820k the rest it well deserves, the more options the better.
    If i were to build a 1000-1200$ gaming rig right now, this i5 would be a serious contender.

Edit: Btw i'm looking for a minimum of 8cores CPU, max price 400$, for 4K gaming/streaming, if you guys have any recommendation i'm listening.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  7. Biffo

Biffo Active Member

GPU:
    ati
    eh, I will wait for TR Gen 3.

8. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    3900X would be best or the 3900XT if rumours are true...

XenthorX likes this.
  9. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    i5?Common @XenthorX you could do better than that. :)

Buy Z490 mb and you'll get scamed again by Intel Corp.
    Buy B/H 460 mb you'll get ...pissed by only 2667MHz Ram support. :D
    Plus you need water cooling system and a better Psu.

XenthorX likes this.
  10. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    ???

And people wonder why I post in here. It's nonsense like this. People talking out of their backsides.

XenthorX has a 1000w PSU. But apparently you need better if you go Intel. Explain Turanis.

XenthorX likes this.

11. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    ^ If you see at my post it was a different paragraph/phrase.
    I dont know what XentorX system have on.
    Better Psu for gamers who dont have 700W+ Psu.
    AIO for gamers who dont wanna that their "new" 10K Intel Core cpu to Throttle and sweat like a piggy. :)
    Z490,B/H 460 cost too much for this short 10K Intel Core series.

12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    His system is in his profile. Perhaps you should have checked it before you told him he needs a better PSU. BTW, my air cooler will easily cool most if not all 10k CPUs. AIO isn't all that.

13. chainy

chainy Active Member

GPU:
    970gtx
    Intel is playing us again, that i5-10600k(f) doesnt oc over on any review/benchmark......i suspect that they have put a hardware limitation so they don't surpass they higher models...

14. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    These two are what I managed to come up with as part lists that would make sense for CPUs like these:

i5-10400: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/MDvzdm
    Ryzen 5 3600x: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/HWRj9G

AMD seems to have the slight platform and performance advantage here (I tried to use motherboards that have some "guaranteed" future compatibility for both systems.

What I see from the above is that someone must be crazy to purchase a computer at these prices, for this performance. $400-$500 consoles boxes will wreck any of the above systems, in less than five months from now. It's really not worth investing in anything on PC at this moment.

XenthorX likes this.
  15. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800

B450 for ryzen or B550

16. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I just made sure that both platforms have at least the (imaginary) possibility for PCIe 4.0 and future CPUs.

17. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    We kinda discussed this in another thread and it's quite interesting and there's a lot of variables. If you buy a lot of games on consoles, digitally, you'll probably end up spending a lot more on a console life span than on a $2000 gaming PC. But consoles can work out a lot cheaper, also. Kinda depends on your habits.

I think, and I always said this, it's best to have a nice gaming PC and a PS4 for exclusives. I don't see any Xbox exclusives that would change my mind seeing as most of them have made their way onto PC recently.

BTW, you could have saved around 100 EUR going with a 3600 non X and a Tomahawk Max. Same performance. I would not recommend spending more on the motherboard than CPU in a budget build.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  18. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I 100% agree.

But I would like to emphasize that getting slower hardware at a higher price, is crazy, especially if you consider keeping it for at least a couple of years. We are at the end of a big cycle and especially PC purchases at this moment are bound to be bad.

19. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    My Nephew and I played some Division 2 last night. Both of us on 4K native screens. Myself at 75% scaling and his at 50% scaling. 1080 Ti and 6850k vs my old 980x and 980 Ti he's using. Other than screen scaling our experiences were nearly identical with similar graphic settings. His CPU usage in the game benchmark was similar to mine, both of us running DX12. If you don't need specific hardware instruction sets, older hardware still shows up to play.

XenthorX, Undying and Embra like this.
  20. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    Guys, what can be achieved on Z490 motherboard and i5 10400, can you overclock CPU at all? or All cores set to 4.3Ghz would be all what you can do with this CPU model.