1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review: Borderlands 3: PC graphics performance benchmark analysis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    You absolutely SHOULD be running every game with x16 AF. It's probably one of the biggest things you can do for image quality and the performance is almost free.

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    I'm not saying directly don't, I'm using that as an example considering at least for me, 1440p and 4k it's hard to tell a difference from x4 AF to x16 AF. It's called tweaking. It's a factor you can change at any time to increase performance.

airbud7 likes this.
  3. shalafi

shalafi Member

GPU:
    GB 1080Ti FE Hybrid
    By the way, on ultrawide (21:9 and wider) if your cutscenes are completely broken, with parts of the image rendering behind the black bars - disable FidelityFX sharpening.

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I can tell, but it varies from game to game. Either way, AFx16 has such minimal performance impact that I always leave it on in global settings.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I disagree. In a lot of cases, it just makes the image look blurry, while having such an immense loss on performance. I'd rather opt for a higher resolution and other graphical details.

airbud7 likes this.
  6. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Maha Guru

GPU:
  7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    We are talking about antistropic filtering right?

I don't remember the last time I ran a game where AF impacted performance

Maddness, Picolete, carnivore and 3 others like this.
  8. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Yup. It seems many people are hung up over the art style and think the game should run much faster because of it. I also see many of the same complaints that people had with Metro Exodus - if the game can't be run at ultra at the highest resolution on a 2080 Ti then it is "unoptimized". In the old days, getting 45 FPS on a new game was considered acceptable while today if a game dips below 60 then it's considered unplayable - I think we're spoiled :p.

Eh? Anisotropic filtering makes images look sharper at a distance and is virtually free.

Maddness and Reardan like this.
  9. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Do you people even play video games? I swear to God I come to this forum and it's like I'm in some alternate mirror dimension where people who played video games 20 years ago still sit around and talk about them like they're authoritative. AF makes games objectively LESS blurry, not more.

https://international.download.nvid...e-anisotropic-filtering-performance-chart.png

?????

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/104c2e80898e85bd968335dc9b08e54c-650-80.jpg

?????

10. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Anisotropic filtering can degrade performance, and sometimes image quality, only if forced via the graphics driver control panel, because sometimes it could be wrongly applied to texture resources used for intermediate rendering, such intermediate render targets used in render-to-texture -like techniques.

11. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    This is ostensibly a tech site so you will find a lot more discussions on the tech side of everything rather than actually playing games, although that is on the list, but don't take it to heart. Lol

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Not sure where you get that, but certainly not on Nvidia cards. I recall this argument coming up over a decade ago and did 3dmark tests with AFx16 on and off, and the difference was not more than 1-2%. I doubt you will find any link or source demonstrating "an immense loss on performance" with AFx16.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Robbo9999 likes this.
  13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Jesus guys I was just using an example. Morale of the story is, we aren't going to run or try to run every game at max settings.

Also @Reardan there's no need to be an ass. Keep it civil or say nothing at all.

AF really doesn't affect our cards today like they did before. Tons of memory bandwidth is available on pretty much every flagship device.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    my 1070ti looks to be eh in this game most interesting

15. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1 Gaming
    I'm pretty sure that once it gets cracked (if ever) we'll start seeing if the current DRM has a major impact.

Hopefully they will release future GoG version and maybe even performance patch improvements.

I actually like the series but i just wish a GotY or ultimate version was available because it's gonna get a ton of DLC i bet.

16. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    Lets not forget too that HH always does these game tests and new graphics card comparison benchmarks with a "founders edition" 1080 Ti. This card is about 15 percent slower than a good aftermarket 1080 Ti, which is what almost everyone bought.

17. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    game is very good graphic wise, performance tho - i blame unreal engine
    It could run much worse on this engine look at ATLAS and game that runs smooth is Fortnite but doesn't compete

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    wtf? the one thing AF cannot do is cause things to look blurry.

it makes one game look muddy because of what alessio mentioned above but thats a flaw in the implementation of the game.

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    Well I personally believe it's strange to release a game with in game settings no card on the planet can run at 4K@60fps (which could be considered as the "ceiling" in term of resolution, and the 60fps is a standard, after all we're not playing console games). But it has been like this for a long time now. Will there ever be a 4K@60fps capable card?

20. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Well, us old-timers can remember a time when a high-end GPU could only do 40 FPS in the latest games. Things like this used to be a lot more common in the past (before consoles led to a watering down of games). As with Metro Exodus, I'd prefer that games push the technology envelope and spur the development of more powerful gaming hardware - if all AAA games could do a perfect 4K/60 then there would be no reason to develop more powerful GPUs.

airbud7, Maddness and Robbo9999 like this.