Review: Borderlands 3: PC graphics performance benchmark analysis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Maddness and OnnA like this.
  2. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    Suprisingly demanding at the higher image quality settings.
    Looks like it's about time to start saving up for a new GPU.

OnnA likes this.
  3. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Same - Fury doing badly these days :'( Same kind of results as Gears 5. Then again it's UE4 so there's plenty of ways to claw back some performance without dropping visuals too much such as tweaking memory allocation in the game engine settings as well as shadows which is usually the big hit on performance.

I'm waiting for Big Navi or rDNA2 though so will have to make do with lowering some settings in the meantime.

Yogi and OnnA like this.
  4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Borderlands 2 ran bad as well, it's the Developers.

No need to buy a new GPU.

Yogi, Picolete, warlord and 1 other person like this.

5. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I've been a fan or and enjoyed playing BL1 and BL2, but I have been surprised at how relatively poor the performance is at higher resolutions in BL3 (based on reviews). It doesn't look like a game that isn't playable on Ultra at 4K, at least not to me. I honestly expected that anything in the GTX 1080 Ti or Radeon VII range would be flirting with 60 FPS at 4K. :/

6. tecilein

tecilein Guest

GPU:
    MSI 980 Ti 6G OC
    The Ultra Preset in BL3 is quite bad.
    There are several settings that can be tweaked without visible downgrades and increased fps ranging around +50-100%.

The worst setting is Volumetric Fog.
    Running it at Medium can increase fps drastically and there is no visible difference.

7. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yeah, like others have mentioned here, I'm surprised at how taxing this game is on the GPU, I would have expected higher frame rates. A casual look at the image quality images (with slider) here in this article - I can't really see much difference in the image quality between the different presets, but it's just one static image and a small compressed jpeg so not ideal to compare image quality. So I imagine you can dial down quite a few of the settings without any major change in image quality if you want an fps bump.

8. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    This game appears to utterly maul the GTX1070.

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Like many tough to run games, this looks like a fine example in settings tweaking to get decent frame rates.
    Those who select one setting to cover all (Ultra, high, etc) and complain about frame rates, well...
    [​IMG]

Maddness likes this.
  10. girdhan

girdhan Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti / 11GB
    On my Ryzen System I experience a huge CPU bottleneck when playing with DX11. I have/had no issue/lag/stutter/crashes with DX12 at all.
    Example:
    DX11
    [​IMG]

DX12
    [​IMG]

Robbo9999 and OnnA like this.

11. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    i have not yet finished the first one

Yogi likes this.
  12. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Huh???

You're talking about a graphic card launched three years ago so maybe but by your comparison amd graphic cards launched three years ago (Rx 470 & Rx 480) are utterly dissolved in atoms by this game...

Anyway borderlands was always a graphic intensive game even if the looks are deceiving - cartoonish and all. I don't know about the gameplay but there is so much loot...

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Maybe, but it still looks crap for a 2080ti @107fps 1080p, what a joke

Luckly i never was a fan of this, hard pass.

jbscotchman likes this.
  14. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    That is good to hear; it gives me hope that I can play it on my current system at some point. I haven't even touched the PreSequel yet so it will be awhile before I buy BL3 anyways.

15. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    User "reviews" (they're more like comments, really) on metacritic were extremely poor with most of them complaining about how horrible the game's performance is.

I'd say wait for patches before getting it. Also, the DRM (new Denuvo version) seems to be constantly uploading data to somewhere at about 1.5-2mbps. Nobody knows what that data is.

16. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    It's actually 150-250KB, not 1.5MB-2MB/s and colleagues got it while playing coop.

17. @man_daddio

@man_daddio Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti 11Gb
    I'll wait for a super sale down the road for this. Nothing I saw video wise peaked my interest enough to wow me. Loved the previous games so still a fan. Plenty of other games out now to enjoy.
    Bash me for saying this but it is funny the Titan XP (priced same as RTX 2080ti 35%+ slower) and GTX 1080ti such old cards still at the high end of the benchmark list. Must have been well worth the money to have exceptional gaming for so long. Raving about the 5700 cards is funny.

18. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I mean sure it’s “old” but its served me well so far and no game has had an issue reaching more than 60 FPS with everything turned on. This is one of the first.

19. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    "mbps" is megaBITS per second, not megaBYTES per second. For example, a 50mbps down / 5mbps up connection gives you about 6MB/s download and about 600kB/s upload speeds.

My own connection here is 30/2.5, so this game would almost saturate my upstream speed.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  20. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Looks like some sort of vsync is enabled for DX11. Look at your GPU usage as well. It's low for DX11.

Netherwind and warlord like this.