Review: Beelink SER5 Pro (Ryzen 7 5800H) mini PC

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 31, 2023.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Beelink SER5 Pro Mini PC unleashed the Power of the AMD Ryzen7 5800H Processor in a price-competitive solution. Released in 2021, the AMD Ryzen7 5800H processor features eight powerful CPU cores that ...

Review: Beelink SER5 Pro (Ryzen 7 5800H) mini PC

CrazY_Milojko, Aniboom, alanm and 3 others like this.
  2. Typhon Six Six Six

Typhon Six Six Six Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX
    Thanks for the review!!

chispy likes this.
  3. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    "The Beelink SER5, the latest generation mini-PC from the Chinese company"

What?
    The SER6 has been out for quite some time (Ryzen 3+ + RDNA 2), and the 1st units of the SER7 Pro (AMD 7940HS, which has Ryzen 4 + RDNA 3 + AI) will be delivered around the end of July.

And yes, the difference from Vega to RDNA is actually quite large, not only in performance (which is literally double, and I'm not exaggerating), but also FRS 3 will be out soon, and it's RDNA-only as far as we know.
    RDNA 3 additionally comes with HDMI 4K@144Hz and AV1 encoding.

Don't want to poke a finger in the eye, but this SER5 review would have made sense 2 years ago (edit: a year ago), but now... SER6 or SER7 would have made more sense.

PS: The Minisforum UM790 Pro (here) will also be delivered around the end of July too, and it should be more silent than the Beelink while maintaining the same performance. (And yes, it should have the RAM cooling issues solved vs the UM690 Pro).
    PS 2: Also hopefully we'll see HX99G (here) have a successor soon.

Last edited: May 31, 2023
  4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Correct, however they shipped out the wrong unit and as such we went ahead with the review.
    The SER5 has not been around that long (7-8 months or so), the APU though (yes) is around longer, but is still lovely. I'll adjust that latest generation line though.

BTW just a generic comment. Everybody is so frickin on their toes these days with every little detail. It's getting really tiresome up-to the point I am considering to retire Guru3D.

5. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Sorry, didn't want to upset you.

Yep, it seems that SER5 is from a little bit over a year, not 2 years, sorry about that.
    There are 3 iterations (SER 5, 6 and 7) in just 18 months... but that is explained due to AMD's issues actually manufacturing/shipping chips.
    They seem to be catching up, because the 7940HS will be hitting shelves just 3 months after the official presentation (which seems like a lot, but it's really gone down compared to these past years).
    It will stabilize with the SER7/UM790 for some time, since AMD doesn't have a 7940HS successor/major upgrade planned until 2024Q2.

6. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Please don't, This site has been my go to for tech news for at least 15 years now and I have even gone as far as to set guru3d as my home page lol
    I've always come here for many of the downloads DDU, afterburner, etc

CrazY_Milojko, Agonist and chispy like this.
  7. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    Mini PCs are really lovely, perfect for HTPC (and many other stuff).

chispy likes this.
  8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Please don't... :(

chispy and Embra like this.
  9. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thank you for the great review @Hilbert Hagedoorn , well done Boss . This tiny boxes are very useful on many applications such as sff htpc.

Embra likes this.
  10. toffty

toffty Member

GPU:
    AMD 290
    I can only imagine how frustrating your job can be when the entire world can nitpick your every word. At the same time only those who want to nitpick actually post instead of those that truly appreciate your hard work.

To that I will apologize for not thanking you each time you post a review. At this point guru3d is the only good hardware site left IMO after Anand left anandtech.

Embra, Airbud and chispy like this.

11. PK_UNiQUE

PK_UNiQUE Member

GPU:
    Gamerock RTX 4090
    I recently ordered the "Ser6 Pro 7735HS" with DDR5, which i wanted to own cause my older NUC only used 2400MHz DDR4 SO-DIMM´s and an Intel i5 8259 (4c/8t) with Iris Plus graphics only. The new GPU AMD Radeon 680M, which is a pure beast for 1080p, will be tested next weeks. Anyway thx for the rewiev of this one. Good to compare with real life benches done by you HH.

Cheers mate and don´t give up here please.

WE need YOU !

12. mdm

mdm Active Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE R9 FURY
    There are a few errors in the text...

Page 5 mentions the 6900H and not the 5800H.
    Page 13 it is not capable of 20 Gbps just 10 Gbps since it is USB 3.2 Gen 1 (6800H has Gen 2).

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
  13. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Thanks, will have a look and correct!

14. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @to all those who write articles.
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn
    I can only imagine the frustration and disappointment build up after so many years of tech journalism.

You try to write the article, to pour attention in very detail and maintain integrity and professionalism on your article. God knows how late one stays, or skip meals and has to repeat benchmarks unfortunately.

You publish it,hope for the best.
    And there is one or others who can make you sorry for the fact you even bothered.
    Haters gonna hate, that's how it is.
    Either you ignore, or care about. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter.
    People can't be fixed.

15. GlassGR

GlassGR Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD rx 6650
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn
    "Everybody is so frickin on their toes these days with every little detail."

its part of the "being enthusiast" ,im not one and i like your reviews to a point no other site is in my favorites.
    it feels like a big tech family here ,families have kids and older people :)
    as @anticupidon said "People can't be fixed." -> they just get older :)

16. dean469

dean469 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480GTR @1385
    I would also like to say that I have been coming here for well over a decade and Guru3d is the ONLY place I trust for hardware reviews and the latest tech info. Your integrity, thoroughness, and hard work are very much appreciated.

Thanks HH.

17. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Nice one, thank you for the review HH!

The only things I'd like to be different are RAM with lower CL timings and a bit bigger fan so it could provide more or same airflow at lower rpm/noise (and it would probably last longer than this tiny one).

2.5Gbps LAN and a bit better Realtek HD audio chip are also on my "wish list" but :rolleyes:

Tbh for less than $500 it's a steal, wish I could buy one here in my country for lets say €500, but guess I could only dream about that price, more likely it would be €650, €700 or even more here :(

18. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    If you want cheap and decently powerful, get a UM560 XT (here for 239 €).

CrazY_Milojko likes this.
  19. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Nice, but customs here they would rip off skin on my back with custums charges + additional VAT 20% for something like that. I'll just buy one while going abroad next time and smuggle it in suitcase.

20. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Customs are included if sent to EU (and if they charge you, you can send them the bill and they'll refund you).
    Amazon doesn't have the barebones model, only with RAM+SSD+Win11Pro, but luckily the markup is not too big.

No Amazon or the likes that can send stuff to Serbia?