Review: ASUS ROG SWIFT PG43UQ - One BIG monitor !

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 3, 2020.

1. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    @illrigger
    sorry but there is no "burn in" on oleds. they aren't burning gas like plasmas.
    its image retention, coming from degradation (blue goes out first) which then shows more of the other colors (green/red)
    so lower brightness will only have limit effect, its not having white/no static images on the screen, that will help much more.
    and doing a screen fresh more than once or twice per year will even make it worse.
    either go with what the tvs timer (sonys give notification based on running hours) or what the manufacturer recommends.

2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    Philips 436M6VBPAB

cryohellinc likes this.
  3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/ MAC M1
    Cheers, I recall that model. Have you managed to overclock it to anything above 60hz?

4. mikomido

mikomido New Member

GPU:
    2070 Super 8GB
    I'm there is no mention of the problems of this monitor on this "review"

The ROG Swift PG43UQ, like it's predecessor the ROG Strix XG438Q, suffers from the same problems.

Text issues, Smearing, Ghosting, Motion blur, crappy overdrive implementation.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Snuggles82 (all videos)

They just replaced the panel with another, revised BGR AUO panel, with HDR 1000 and "updated refresh rate to 144hz, and implemented Display Stream Compression (VESA should make DSC mandatory) to milk gamers even more.

The ports (HDMI 2.0 & DisplayPort 1.4a) on the PG43UQ, are already outdated as HDMI 2.1 are is slowly coming in and DisplayPort 2.0 is about to hit the market

LG C9 blows this out of the water, and the upcoming LG CX will bitchslap this so hard.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020

5. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Sorry, but you are misinformed.
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

It only happens when there is static content, but the Windows desktop most definitely has static elements.

As for the refresh, it happens automatically every time the TV turns off, at least on LG sets. It does a "quick" one every time, and a full refresh after every X times (not sure on the number).

6. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    @illrigger
    not misinformed. there is nothing burning, so no burn in.
    my problem is not with the technical issu but with the wording.

just because samsung and others dont have anything equivalent and need to come up with something to scare customers so they dont buy an oled, and everyone just regurgitates their crap doesnt mean its correct..
    oleds have image retention, not the same as burn in.
    dont care if ppl/sites dont know the difference/dont care to name it properly.

7. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    I don''t think that it can, no point either since you need 2 x 2080 Super or Ti to get fps enough to go beyond 60fps minimum at 4K.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    There was nothing burning in plasma's either - the term refers to the way the retention looks, not physical burning. Samsung and others didn't come up with it - people looking at examples of it and relating it to previous technologies that experienced similar issues did. You being pedantic about the term doesn't change the fact that OLED, as a technology, is far more susceptible to image retention than LCD - especially in use cases like a desktop monitor.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to repeatedly correct people on this, or your strange claim the other day about how OLED doesn't need anti-glare - but it just seems like you're regurgitating OLED marketing. Having owned numerous OLED phones and an LG65 I can safely say you're wrong about the anti-glare and the image retention on some of my previous phones most definitely resembles burn-in. So while the mechanic of retention might be slightly different the impact on my ability to use the display and the end result is not.

yasamoka and Solfaur like this.
  9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Well you dont have to maximize everything as reviewers tend to do, and still come out with excellent results. Too often the most demanding settings offer little or no noticeable visual benefit.

10. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/ MAC M1
    You can still play on 60fps, meanwhile the latency will be lower across the board.

11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    LCD monitors don't have ghosts inside, also not sure why they call it ghosting.

12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    I usually max everything and then turn things down that have the least visual impact while getting me to prefered performance.
    Most of the games I play I have to reduce shadow quality slightly, using lighter AA etc. to have stable 60fps @ 4K
    So aiming for stable 120-144 minimum fps in newer AAA titles still requires something beefy, lmaybe one of the next generation of GPU's can handle it.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn can you try this monitor with Flight Sim game ready drivers and see if it does this

14. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    @yasamoka
    because its like seeing a ghost, so still valid as describing it.
    press a cold butter knife in your hand for 10 s, see the impression retained?
    now do it with the knife heated up to 500* and tell me there is no difference between the meaning burn in and retention.

15. Matrix80

Matrix80 New Member

GPU:
    3090 /24GB
    I just bought this monitor to pair with my 3090 Founders Edition. So far, extremely impressed! When you mention desk, I have an executive-sized one and looks great surrounded by my LS50W's. Desk sizes vary too considerably to make it a blanket statement that it'll be too big. Prior to this I had a 32" XB321HK, which is now a secondary panel off to the side.

I mostly use it for desktop applications. However, the gaming has been wonderful. I can't think of any negatives.

Hilbert Hagedoorn likes this.

16. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    That's what she said.

Sorry could not resist.

HARDRESET likes this.
  17. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 ti
    Looking to replace my 55'' 4k TV with this monitor in order to improve my gaming experience.
    Having concerns on how it will perform on movies or Netflix though.
    What are the drawbacks on using such a gaming monitor as an all-rounder?

ps: my other option is LG OLED48CX.

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    The Asus should be perfectly fine for TV usage, movies. The LG would have better image quality, but less connectivity options. Unless you have an Ampere card, you wont be able to take advantage of the HDMI 2.1 on the LG TV.

If you are still on the 1080ti, the Asus monitor would be better for your purposes as it has DP 1.4 which will give you the bandwidth necessary for 4k higher refresh rate, HDR and 4:4:4 chroma sub-sampling.

Apparatus likes this.