Review: Asus ROG Swift PG42UQ 138 Hz OLED monitor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 24, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In this review, we will be putting the ASUS Rog Swift PG42UQ through its paces. The big one with an OLED panel. The panel itself is said to boast 99% DCI-P3 coverage, 4K resolution, and true 10-bit co...

Review: Asus ROG Swift PG42UQ 138 Hz OLED monitor

2. King Mustard

King Mustard Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    £1,400!

The 42" LG C2 is £900-£1000.

RavenMaster, OnnA and vestibule like this.
  3. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Yeah, bit pricey.
    I have 48"C1 and find it great for gaming, at custom resolution tho, 3840*1800 or 1600, to ease strain on my 6800xt.
    About 1-1.2 m and it's ok for gaming.
    I noticed I see opponents earlier in FPS now than before with 24-27" in fron of me, in like 40-60cm distance.

tunejunky likes this.
  4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB

5. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    The 34 inch Alienware OLED monitor is only 3.5k and is (still) on preorder for £1099

For my postal code, I get this message from Dell's website:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    tunejunky likes this.
  6. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Well, I ordered mine 24.04, and expect delivery date is 5.09.
    With visa payment

7. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Yeah same here, it's only available for "(pre)ordering" and takes at least 30 days. I was tempted to get one if it would have been readily available, even though I don't know what to do with my old AW3420DW.

Anyway, the ROG price premium will always be absurd, everyone should be used to it by now. I'm just curious how well it performs over time, and if it's actually going to be easy to buy one in the first place...

8. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    Cool but that randomly changing and low brightness, the price and size makes it a no go for me, tho I love its great colors and rich blacks.

Legacy-ZA likes this.
  9. Tsenng

Tsenng Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080 AMP
    Hmm i se someone says 1400 quid for this but far as i can see the price is like 1600?? Peak HDR at 8-900 nits. I only had my LG C2 for a week but it tells me maximum is 1499nits that is quite a big leap. Also got my C2 for only 799Euros wich im super stoked about with some grand luck.

10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Seems like a great monitor but 1.300€ is out of my reach.

I paid 500€ for my current screen and that was already crazy, at least for me...

Legacy-ZA likes this.

11. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

my neighbor has had the Alienware 32" since April, but then he works for Intel and Dell is their largest OEM.

for the 42", there is no ROG "tax" (surprising because i expected one) the 42" is priced as the best value high-end 4k monitor -
    with prices hundreds of dollars below its smaller competition.
    the REAL battle is the battle of the OLEDs - the Aorus 48" is selling for $300 less (in US), but with these mods and specs, that's $300 well spent. where i'm at the LG C2 42" is selling for the same price.

this is what i've been waiting for (HH's review) as validation of the tweaks Asus has taken.
    i'm buying this bad boy

CrazY_Milojko, Loobyluggs and Solfaur like this.
  12. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    What's the name of the bigger one? PG48UQ? Is it the exact same specs as this one just 6 inches bigger? Also, do you know if the stand can be adjustable height wise (like the Alienware UW for example)?

tunejunky likes this.
  13. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    at that price they should put out the factory with better white point and far better greyscale.

or they don't cuze the screen cannot handle banding correctly? :V

dci-p3 ip3 should event mentioned on the box if they cannot get close enough......or was the measurement tool just wrong? looks like the second, the measured gamut looks more like a P3 gamut. real question is: how good is srgb profile :V when you target a profile going above it isn't good like going below it unless you use an ICC/ICM profile (which doesn't work on exclusive fullscreen mode but whatever).

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    Robbo9999 likes this.
  14. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    this may help you : https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/427121e62a

Solfaur and tunejunky like this.
  15. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    stand is not adjustable (which saves money) but there's a VESA mount (on the rather large size i believe 400mm)
    and while they're the same specs, there will always be a different pitch size from 42 to 48 on any type of display including oled
    so the difference will be the seated distance and role of this monitor (i.e. family or solo use).

Solfaur likes this.

16. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    I really like the white out on the photos, to be frowned on in most cases. But this time it looks great. Its nice to see someone making an effort in making a photo you just want to look at for a little longer.:)

17. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    Thanks for the review.

I do like the OLED PC Gaming where I use 65" OLED for daily driver but I have one place left in my house in which I need to add a new monitor and that is actually at my computer desk I built into the wall. Built the desk around 20 years ago and made it big enough for a 42" screen without a stand to fit.
    Anyway I wrote the above because I was looking for the dimension in the review.I may have missed them.Without the stand would be a perfect fit in my desk with a few millimeters to spare.

Dimension are estimate from ASUS site.Display Specification site dimensions are a little different.

Phys. Dimension with Stand (W x H x D) :
    932.08 x 611.3 x 255.4 mm

Phys. Dimension without Stand (W x H x D) :
    932.08 x 551.96 x 37.38 mm

18. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I was expecting perfection when it came to the colour side of things considering this is an OLED and therefore heavily driven by "image quality". I expected the grey ramp to be flatter, the colour space to be larger (as it's showing significantly less than it's advertised 99% DCI-P3 coverage), I also expected the gamma to be bang on 2.2 as well as closer to 6500K for colour temperature. I think they missed the mark a bit here, I think I'd wait to see what other OLEDs come along if I was in the market for one.

I don't like the variable brightness thing they've got going on that changes based on the content being shown on the screen, although I'm aware from the review that you can set a static brightness as long as it's not over 180 cdm, which is how I'd use the screen if I had it.

19. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    they compared DCI-P3 with Adobe RGB which is just.. wrong

[​IMG]

Looking at results (red triangle) the measured gamut looks like a decent P3 (just not so good in the bluish area)

[​IMG]

If there is something that sucks on this monitor is this:
    [​IMG]

Robbo9999 likes this.
  20. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Good Review, and here are the specs for those interested:

https://rog.asus.com/us/monitors/above-34-inches/rog-swift-oled-pg42uq-model/spec/

(The specs are a bit different from the ones covered in the review. Maybe these specs on the Rog site are not as up to date as the unit HH received for this review. For instance, no info on Freesync, just Gsync; No mention of HDR certification from VESA--specs say only 450 CD/ brightness and basic HDR10 support. Dot pitch is ~.23 nice, but not as nice as .18--which is my 43" dot pitch--all I have to compare it to.)

Yes, like HH said, if you sit ~ 3 feet back from the monitor, if you turn your head you will lose some of the screen...but, what I like about it is that I don't ever have to turn my head. Moving my eyes, instead, is all that is required. What I like about a monitor this size is that it fills up ~85%-90% of my visual field at ~3 feet away. I quite like the size, but was a bit unsure when I bought my Phillips. It's just right, imo.

Warranty info:

https://rog.asus.com/us/monitors/above-34-inches/rog-swift-oled-pg42uq-model/helpdesk_warranty/

Basically, Rog goes 2 years on OLED; 3 years on LCDs. It's OK for OLED, as many are not but for one year, but as it's OLED you might want to purchase an extended.

Looks good...price is a few hundred too high, imo, but OLED pricing is coming down fast! Good to see.

These links also lead to an interesting troubleshooting section, I thought.