Review: Asus RoG Swift PG27UQ Finally 4K G-SYNC 144Hz Gaming!

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 10, 2018.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    your way of reviewing how black uniformity make it hard to tell how bad it can be Picture of the black uniformity would be appreciated

2. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Was so ready to buy this monitor when i first saw the specs. Then i saw the price and said to myself 'Asus you are taking the f***ing piss...' I simply refuse to pay more than 1200 bucks for a 27" monitor and even that is being generous. For 2000 bucks i'd expect it to be at least 32-40"

Maddness likes this.
  3. D3Master

D3Master Member

GPU:
    SLI Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
    That's a really odd combo. The heights are the same but not vertical pixel density making it weird to drag window around. Also not sure about your scaling. I assume you do more than gaming (otherwise no need for the secondary without the third), and Windows sucks at any scaling over 100% for productivity. Personally, I can't stand 27" 4K @ 100%. 1440p 27" seems to be a much better option to match X34.

4. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX2080 Ti OC
    As good a review as I could possibly imagine, awesome job HB. :)

This monitor is cool, it's temping but... I'm not sure, think I would much prefer 32 inches or a 21:9 alternative. What's the 4k equivalent at 21:9 aspect anyway? What resolution I mean.
    Will be super interesting to see how these 200hz 21:9's turn out. The 21:9 aspect has me intrigued, to see in person what the fuss is about. VA can still look excellent, especially for movies.

5. Pimpiklem

Pimpiklem Member Guru

GPU:
    amd
    Crazy price.
    Get (FIVE) samsung WQHD 2560x1440 144 htz 1ms quantum dot 32" HDR freesync 2 curved screens for this price.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/samsung-c32hg70-freesync-2-hdr-monitor-review,1.html

If you buy this you will get buyers remorse that's a given.

What you need to keep in mind when going HDR is that extra brightness comes at a cost to your comfort.
    That wattage is being pushing into your face and it isnt pleasant.
    Go demo one you will soon see my point.

ps,
    Anyone who does buy one just laugh at them.
    Their in for a terrible experience and will keep it to themselves so not to loose face.
    https://media2.giphy.com/media/VB5WwlZIt8eRy/200_d.gif
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Noisiv likes this.
  6. Moto_Life

Moto_Life Active Member

GPU:
    Msi 1070 gaming X
    $2500?! That is absolutely ridiculous. Why the hell are monitors so much more expensive than televisions anyway? I hated to spend what i did on my dell s2716dg, Although i do love it.

7. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti
    Yeah, but Dell S2716DG was a bargain compared to Asus ROG PG279Q. And on top on that they were plagued with issues and getting a perfectly working monitor was a lottery. So i wonder if the history will repeat here, a pricey monitor with good reviews, but the actual units for the public will be plagued with issues again.

8. nizzen

nizzen Maha Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060
    Try ask: why televisions don't have 4k 96/144hz hdr, g-sync and low inputlag...

9. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    Yeah, too expensive not to be perfect, as it says in the article! Sweet monitor for sure though. I think a monitor is probably just about the most important part of a PC - you look at it everyday after all! I think I might consider moving to these new HDR technologies once the market has become more flooded with them, when they will be cheaper & more effective at their implementation. Gotta give my relatively cheap AOC 1080p TN 144Hz Gsync monitor some time to make back it's investment!

10. stefpats

stefpats Member

GPU:
    NvidiaGeForce2080Ti
    what bothers me about this monitor is ofc the price,which eventually will come down,but the 27'' is a no no for me at this resolution.I m sure in the next couple of years there will be a dozen similar monitors bigger in size and much much cheaper.Just have to wait.

11. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ❤ MESA 20.2
    ASUS has become the "Apple" of gaming monitors, which is a shame.

12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Offering the same hardware as others, but at 4x the price? Not quite. You can't get 4K 144Hz G-Sync HDR from others at a 4x lower price. :p

Dragam1337 likes this.
  13. rsouzadk

rsouzadk Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Killer monitor. Too bad the high price.

14. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    HDMI 2.1 will do 4k @ 120hz and those sockets will be on tv’s next year.

15. jortego128

jortego128 Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 4GB
    Fantastic review boss. Very nice details, I love it. As for the monitor, if it was about half the price, OK.

16. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    $100 per inch. I don't think so. $10 per inch would be a more suitable price. It probably cost them well under $100 to make. The price of some monitors is just getting ridiculous.

RzrTrek likes this.
  17. nizzen

nizzen Maha Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060
    It's like a Ferrari car. Want it, then you have to pay uber premium for it. There is cheaper cars on the market, that does "the same thing". Let you drive from A to B ;)

18. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    That´s just the mentality they are trying to exploit.

RzrTrek likes this.
  19. TurboMan

TurboMan Member Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Strix OC
    This thing costs a whole garbage bag of money and it doesn't even work properly as advertised... I'm sorry, but are they seriously expecting ppl to shell out this money for a product that comes with a bunch of compromises...

ELIAS-E and DLG like this.
  20. go4brendon

go4brendon Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Seahawk X
    As beautiful as this monitor is I still think we're 2 generations behind 144hz gaming. I could barely hit 55fps in Witcher 3 Ultra 4k@60hz. 144hz would be out of the question. Drop it down to 1080p and instantly smoother and easier to see on a 43" tv with 4k upscaling. I would debate with anyone if even 32" is big enough for 4k gaming, especially on fps titles. NVIDIA have the right idea with their 65" big format displays where this would be the only real viable option.