Review: Asus ROG Strix XG27UQ (UHD - HDR - DCS 144 Hz)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    You know monitors in general are in a sad place when an 800:1 contrast ratio is considered "very good"

3. Denissimo

Denissimo Guest

GPU:
    GTX690, 4GB (2GB+2GB)
    For watching HDR videos, such as Blu-Rays, you just need MadVR and a software video player that supports this renderer, such as MPC-HC. You don't have to have or do what this article suggests regarding watching non-streamed HDR videos. MadVR might be troublesome to learn or configure for some people, but it has all the necessary bells and whistles.

4. richto

richto Guest

GPU:
    2 x 7900GX2 GTX DUOs in Quad SLi
    Why would you bother when the ROG PG43UQ has been out for a couple of months now and has all this PLUS proper HDR1000 support and better contrast? I have had one since they launched in June and it is top banana.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Deleted member 213629 likes this.

5. sbacchetta

sbacchetta Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I agree with Hilbert. The cost of going from QHD to UHD isn't worth it on 27 inch monitor, for content Creator there are better monitors and personally as a photographer 27in QHD is enough for me.

6. Jamethe80sman

Jamethe80sman Member

GPU:
    2060 Super
    27"?

Oh man

SMH!

Fediuld likes this.
  7. Nicked_Wicked

Nicked_Wicked Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT
    32” would’ve been interesting but 27”? Hard pass from me.

SamuelL421 likes this.
  8. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    32'', under 400 euros ! and maybe with HDR 600 - HDR 1000 , a must is Freesync 2 ( premium ) , G-sync ! ... We are not all that rich to afford 1000 euros monitor ! ! ! At this point it's all getting to extreme to buy stuff for what once was a joy for little kid !

9. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    can only agree with the introduction I was lent a 27" 4K monitor, it was given to me in fact and I returned it with a thx but no thx
    1st boot my icons were ridiculously small I had to almost max windows display size to have usable desktop icons and taskbar
    tried to tweak windows by increasing the OS "size", half the control panels became unusable, bad scaling wrong size, half the text and selections out of the panel window etc..
    also of course you don't see anything better than a 1440p it may be even worse as you have to glue your face to the panel to see details (ideal distance to watch 4K on a 25" is 46cm..that's very close) it's too "compressed" if you get what I mean and you have to be too close for comfort to the screen to get any benefit

you can't compare with a smartphone because phone GUI are scaled for them, windows and it's text isn't, theorically you can increase it's size except in a lot of applications and control panels it doesn't work properly
    also you don't play as much and not the same games, maybe the 3080Ti will give us 100+fps in 4K but until then it's just dumb

had one, for free, didn't use it for more than 2hrs before giving it back because I don't have space for what is still a large monitor, that I would never have used

10. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Not that I would bother with this one, since its still full of drawbacks since it doesn't have HDMI 2.1 or DP 2.0 to handle the required bandwidth, but not everyone wants a gigantic 43" screen. Personally I find 27" quite nice. I had a 30" for a while and could already feel some eye-strain from having to look around too much. Moving away farther is no option, and also kinda pointless as I could just buy a smaller screen then.

Sadly, no vendor has yet released a perfect (for me) 27-28" screen, and they won't until HDMI 2.1 finally gets used to offer the bandwidth it would need to eliminate DSC or subsampling.

Of course they also try to slam 4K into 27" because it makes for good marketing, but at 27" its really not required and only costs you gaming performance.

I wish with the new generation of HDMI 2.1 screens coming later this year that we can get a perfect 27" gaming screen, ideally in 1440p, and no compromises.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yes.

12. richto

richto Guest

GPU:
    The PG43UQ fully supports 4K @ 144Hz 12 bit HDR required bandwidth via DP 1.4 with DSC lossless compression. And it might not yet be fully HDMI 2.1 certified but it already supports numerous HDMI 2.1 features such as DSC so it likely will be.

See https://rog.asus.com/articles/gaming-monitors/rog-swift-pg43uq-hands-on/

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  13. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    I'll start by saying I've had a Dell U2711 1440 monitor for my gaming rig for 10 years now. I'm more than ready for a 144Hz 4K gaming monitor, preferably 32". With a NVidia 3080 Ti custom (I'm running EVGA 780's in SLI currently).
    I've just upgraded my 5 year old MSI GS60 3K to the new Dell XPS 17 with a glorious 4K Infinity Edge screen and I love 4K for all uses on this new laptop so talk of not being to appreciate & enjoy a high res smaller screen is something I don't understand tbh. My S20 has a gorgeous screen too, I love image quality and being able to buy a 4K monitor with 144Hz is fantastic with the new NVidia cards due out later this year.
    A 32" version of this new Asus 4K 144Hz monitor might well be a great (albeit expensive) monitor upgrade for me with the 3080 Ti custom card. I have a 4K TV for UHD BluRays etc so don't need a gaming monitor to offer this.
    Hilbert, what nonsense to say it's not possible to tell the difference between a 320kps MP3 track and a CD quality one. I have Focal Utopia headphones and similar level DAP & desktop DAC/amp and I have no problem appreciating the additional resolution. I also buy 24/96 digital music downloads and I think high level music quality is as exciting as high level gaming and I wish to experience & enjoy both.

14. richto

richto Guest

GPU:
    Indeed MP3 is dated and is well known to have issues with high resolution reproduction of high frequencies. Good luck telling the difference between CD and say high bandwidth AAC though.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  15. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I will get a 4k 144 hz (or preferably higher) monitor when you can get one that can do it NATIVELY without the use of any compression or chromasubsampling, which completely defeats the purpose of a 4k monitor in the first place.

Until then i will make do with my xb321hk 4k 60 hz monitor, which is arguably the best 60 hz monitor made.

16. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Dumb stand - who'd want that on their desk? A teenager? yeah right, like a teenager has £/$/€ 1,000 to blow on a flaming monitor. You give a teenager a cool G and they will buy running shoes, fizzy drinks and hair gel - not a flaming monitor.

Who designed this? A pre-schooler?

Dragam1337 likes this.
  17. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I think the monitor market right now reminds me of the CPU market pre-Ryzen, with Intel coasting along releasing the same old crap for at least 8 years, until suddenly a major change and upgrade appeared and killed their games stone dead. This is what is still happening with monitors - using old LCD displays backlit with a single large LED backlight, same as a ten year old monitor, and still charging 900 for it (a lot of money for old rope). Seems they are milking it for all its worth, before some proper new tech arrives and their game is up (OLED at least, then Micro LED per-pixel illumination at 1000 nit at least)

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you complaint about a lot of pointless things.

This stand isn't even new.

19. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I'm gonna take a step back, but only if you do, too.

I will be honest with you - I am tired of computer technology costing $1,000's, and yet, they go and paint flames down the side of it, or even (in an unintentional homage to the 1980's) luminous greens and reds on these things.

WHY?

Why is it that, this is one of many industries where your buy-in is really high, yet, the time and effort spent in choosing the color schemes is from a bunch of noobs that do not care about the products, and just put whatever garish nastiness on it they can.

Is it:

(a) revenge by the designer for working at a top company, yet were not given the chance to design something amazing, and so, decided to put the least amount of effort into the job.
    (b) people in marketing not giving a damn, because they would never ever want to buy a piece of tech.

It's one of the two people - and monitors are meant to be as invisible as possible, just floating on the desk with my content being displayed - not a flamin' nite club for people who are color-blind and drunk.

Seriously - why is it that the moment you hit the 'gamer' filter on a manufacturers web site are you suddenly transported into the 1980's, where women only shop for clothes and gossip, men only wear old spice and surf and teenagers are treated with little to no respect, and EVERYTHING IS LUMINOUS GREEN OR RED???

I was in a taxi once when I hit the 'gamer' button on the Asus website, and I had to ask the driver whether he hit the flux capacitor by accident...

So - maybe it's because I lived through the 80's and survived...that I do not want to go back there! I made it out the other side! I just wanted to return home, kiss the wife, raise the kids and NOT be reminded of the hell hole ever again because the PTSD is too much for me to bear!

So, yeah, perhaps you are right, it's an overaction, but, you gotta meet me half way if we are to get to the chopper and GTFO of here with our legs and arms in tact...

Or not - and ipsofacto, you can enjoy spending $3,000 on a graphics card, only to have the thing have a flamin' tiger drawn on the side of it, or, frickin' LED lights.

ninja edit: what I had to add would have gotten be banned, but let's all just imagine it was really funny, but not politically correct, and we can all move forward with our day.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The product isn't for you, that's fine. someone will want it.

just like some people want to buy Radeons and i've come to terms with that XD