Review: ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 22, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We turn back to the ASUS table where we review the ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero. A board in the Maximus series that is slightly more affordable yet offers some of the best premium features this platform ...

Review: ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero

2. chalky

chalky Guest

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4090
    A board in the Maximus series that is slightly more affordable yet offers some of the best premium features this platform ...@ £429.95 is not cheap when i look into my wallet i will stay with my Z370 and 8700k RTX 2080 for some time to come i think

3. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Thanks
    BIOS screenshots? overclocking parameters? sound chip quality?

4. Nowaker

Nowaker Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7
    I don't think the VRM temperature test for Asus Hero and Gigabyte Master are reliable and to be trusted in comparison to other boards, e.g. MSI Ace or ASRock Taichi. The thermal pictures for Hero nad Master were taken at an angle, effectively exposing more of what's under the heatsinks. Moreover, their pictures were taken at a closer distance. Just take a look:

1. ASRock Taichi - flat, far - 58C https://www.guru3d.com/index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=60749
    2. MSI Ace - flat, far - 59C - https://www.guru3d.com/index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=60702
    3. Gigabyte Master - angle, closeup - 64C - https://www.guru3d.com/index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=60657
    4. Asus Hero - angle, closeup - 74C - https://www.guru3d.com/index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=60579

The VRM temperature test should be performed in a normalized way across all tests - especially the distance from the motherboard and the angle.

@Hilbert Hagedoorn Would it be possible to retest the temperatures? Thanks in advance!

Noisiv likes this.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The VRM temperatures you see listed in the chart are not based upon the thermal image, but the max temp reported by the thermal sensor at the VRM stage.

The thermal image is there for visualization of heat bleed, not measurement as most part of the VRM is covered by heatsinks. And yes, the angle has been changed and I am moving towards a top view.

dark_surge and Noisiv like this.
  6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Am I being blind or is there no mention of the VRM power phases?

7. Nowaker

Nowaker Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7
  8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I'd hate to state the obvious. page 1 page 4.

9. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Yep, I was being blind. 14+2. For some reason I spotted it right away this time. My bad. Thanks Hilbert, you're the best.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Nice review, as always Hilbert

dark_surge likes this.

11. sqarupatech0

sqarupatech0 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia
    What? 74 degrees on VRM? It doesn't look good compared to other motherboards.

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Hmm....AIDA reported VRM reading.

Maybe an error, or thermally insignificant fluctuation (like 1ms)

PS
    yes I carry water for ASUS these days. They are the best :D although Supermicro is staring to tingle my imagination

13. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Wait till you need an RMA or support.

Noisiv likes this.
  14. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    None of these companies excel at this.

Noisiv likes this.
  15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    well I needed both.

RMA... A year ago I explained my dead PC situation to them, and their RMA told me to return my Hero X mobo. Although I was suspecting it was CPU. And despite that being an unlikely option, turned out I was right.
    I also had to return one dead 2070 STRIX. I didn't even bother with Asus, returned it to retailer - do I even have any warranty rights with Asus?
    (Other 2070 retailer tried to screw me with Game codes, before I threatened them with Asus and Nvidia wrath :D)

Support... I reported Q-FAN step-up issue to Asus, like 2 years ago. Nothing has been done. I have to use Argus Monitor to get the proper fan functionality. Hmmm... a new BIOS was posted few days ago, and I haven't updated for a while.

Looks like im a sucker, but I still really really like Asus motherboards and gfx cards.
    (I know there were issue with Asus AMD cards, but on NV side STRIX is the king)

16. Nowaker

Nowaker Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn Would you consider the higher VRM temperature a disadvantage for Hero, or is it irrelevant in your opinion?

BTW, I've come across a Russian review that shows more temperature readings for Hero: https://greentechreviews.ru/2020/05/20/obzor-materinskoj-platy-asus-rog-maximus-xii-hero-wi-fi/3/. Other motherboards: https://greentechreviews.ru/category/materinskie-platy/ - however, only Asus motherboards are tested so there's nothing to really compare Hero to. Also, they're heatsink temperature readings only, so probably not valuable anyway.

17. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Most of VRM are rated up to 120°C although I would keep them under 80°C, what matters is quality of VRM and phases there with VRM, some cheaper Gigabyte been known for not using good VRM and therefore issues with stability and OC

I remember I tested Asus Maximus X Formula and Asus Maximus XI FORMULA and on this two boards I have seen 45-60°C max on VRM with 8086k running at 5.3GHz and 9900k running at 5.2GHz although one of the Maximus X Formula died later on me, not sure why but after two weeks friend couldn't boot

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

fry178 likes this.
  18. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Just because the Hero is lowest on the list doesn't mean it's bad. These temperatures are well within specifications, so unless you're planning g to pull some extreme overclocking, I do not see it as an issue.

fry178 likes this.
  19. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @insp1re2600
    board i destroyed (13y ago) when ocing gtx9600gt with a cheap psu:
    fixed and returned within 14 days, didnt even get charged a penny.

Three year old 32" moni acting up on one hdmi and scrambling the signal every couple of weeks (unit had 2 as well as dp and dvi, so i could have just swapped cable/ports)
    that i could fix every time by turning moni off/back on again, so nbd, but i wanted to possibly sell it, and started rma.
    They told me to ship it and they would fix it, i replied i would not do it, because of the weights (25 lbs) cost for shipping/return shipping would be more than getting it fixed by a local shop,
    so they gave me a pre-paid label for shipping it to them, and included return to me as well.

and even if it "sucks" when i try using it next time, better than the crappy +300$ board from Gb i have that gives me cold boot/crash reboots every week and Gb says "no issues known",
    when multiple forums have a thread about it.

insp1re2600 likes this.
  20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    How f@*%ing much?
    My Maximus VIII Hero I bought 4 years ago for my 6700K was only £180.
    I took a risk it might be a dead loss should a problem arise after my previous bad experience trying to get a new Asus mobo fixed.
    At well over £400, not a chance I'm going there!
    I'll probably spend more on my ram to get decent clocks rather than a good mobo for overclocking cheaper ram next time.

I recently guessed I was going to get another 2 years from my CPU before something comes out worth upgrading to and with less security issues.
    But at these ridiculous prices I'll not be moving until I absolutely have to.
    Intel sales arent going to improve when this is what we face.