Review: ASUS Republic Of Gamers GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Nice review HH, i preordered mine nearly 3 weeks ago... still waiting lol availability is a huge joke. Apparently overclockers.co.uk got 6 in last week but they where for system builds. Thats well pissed me off in all honesty since they took my money 3 weeks ago and i have zilch to show for it except a bill. The OEM's need to pull their finger out! They said this friday, if i don't get i am cancelling cause at this rate Vega and Volta will be out.

3. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Member

GPU:
    Giga GTX 980Ti Xtreeeme
    HH - We'll take Pulp Fiction quotes over Grease quotes (as per your i7 6950X review) any day of the week!

The AIB partners are certainly restricted with what they can do, slightly underwhelming the three you have reviewed so far. Still awesome though!

Do you think cards like the Lightning and Amp! with their increased power throughput and voltage will help these chips at all? It just seems like, as you say, Nvidia has really turned up the restrictions on voltage, power and overclocking...cheers!

4. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X
    Nice review Hilbert.

Will you be reviewing the "cheap" AIB 1080's at any point? Be interesting to see if they run pretty much identical to the Founders Edition and these up-market 1080's

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah I know ... typically board partners send in their best as well, this is the Guru3D audience and they do want to show their best product. But I agree with you. I'll ask around a bit and see if that is going to happen.

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I do like my movies and series quotes ;)

As to you question, I don't know. Only if the board partners can (and may) divert the voltage limitation that is going to happen I guess. Dunno, time will tell though.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Thanks for the review HH.
    Any reason why the MSI card was left out of the temp/noise graphs?
    How would you compare the MSI and the Strix acoustics?

Great temps by the way :D I know different reviews are not comparable but this guy got 80 degrees load on his card https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ISucUVIeik

8. wsgroves

wsgroves Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix OC 1080Ti
    This card looks amazing. I expected no less after my Strix Ti SLI setup. Best cards I have ever had. If I was going to jump this would be the card I would jump on.
    Also Netherwind. The same was said about the Ti Strix that they were loud and produced a lot of heat. I have no clue what the reviewers were smoking. Mine are inaudible in my case and stay very cool.

9. BahamutxD

BahamutxD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 GamingX
    Nice review as always. Now waiting for stock and will probably go for MSI or STRIX.

10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Not sure how he accomplished that but, I can only speak for my own results and back them.

MSI .. aaah .. I used another XML for the spreadsheets, forgot to insert MSI. Will fix that. MSI thus far offers the most silent product. But all cards are relatively silent really. So in the silent category, MSI is the most silent - hope that line made sense :)

11. Embra

Embra Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Nitro+LE
    Thanks Hilbert!

12. BahamutxD

BahamutxD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 GamingX
    It's true MSI is a bit more silent than the STRIX but this one is also a bit more colder. Would you say that lowering ASUSs fans to compete in noise with MSI will just make both cards equal in noise/temps?

13. Denonic

Denonic New Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DCUII 2xSLI
    No mention of the on board PWM headers for case fan control? To me that is the big separating factor between this card and all other AIBs. Having a hardware provision so that the case fans feeding air to the card spin up as the GPU temps increase is a big plus for me.

14. FranciscoCL

FranciscoCL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I did not know that, it's a nice feature.

15. wiski

wiski New Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080 OC
    I believe the choice in display connectors has something to do with VR headsets using HDMI (or so I've heard), so they added another HDMI so you could use a VR headset and a monitor that uses HDMI.

16. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    Aren't those for voltage measurement?

Still cheaper here than many other 1080's. :)

Hilbert, you missed to test the PWM headers, but on the other hand you would need to do that with a real world test, which means in a chassis.
    Some other site did though, and numbers look really good (max 74C), those PWM headers should be on all 1080's.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  17. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    If I buy an ASUS card I can still use MSI AB without problems, right?

For some reason MSI 1080 is insanely more expensive than the other brands here. Might be the same for 1070 and I don't want to drop MSI AB, but since all my last 3 generations of cards were MSI, I was curious if there can be any issues.

18. toronto699

toronto699 Member

GPU:
    asus GTX660
    I really wish u had tested the Asus Strix 1080 with the Asus GPU Tweak New Tweak version 1.2.7.5 . as many of us Asus owners have huge issues with Asus' tweak software , and Aura lighting is in the tools section of the Asus Tweak ll software as a download.

19. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    You can mix, but I think it is somewhat in the line of having the slowest card in the first slot.

20. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    I saw some other test where they used Asus GPU Tweak II for the OC, they mentioned no issues so it seems that it works fine, they got it to 2113 Mhz.